Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mario to Miami confirmed

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,151

This is just step one in the return of Chimp Belly.

Other than Willie Oregon has a pretty good track record going back to Brooks

I know you guys hate Helfrich but still

None of whom were big dick hires like everyone is bitching about UW not making with DeBoner, FYI.

I don't think Oregon is a destination for the upper crust coaches out there, even with Uncle's willingness to flash the cash. Cristo leaves after all the coaching changes have been made and the Ducks will be in for a rude surprise when Moorhead gets promoted. I'm sure they think they have the same pull as USC reeling in Riley, though.
    In case you missed it UW has pretty much sucked since James on hires in particular when hiring from within

Lot of us laughed at Mario.
    So you can hire from within or smaller schools AND be good, as evidenced by Oregon. The fact that UW has sucked at it doesn't mean it's not possible. Those are not the same thing. Sounds like the backlash from some over the DeBoner hire has more to do with their own PTSD than it does evaluating the actual hire.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

I'd say if Mario went to Miami, it would be because of his mom. Miami isn't a destination program for coaches anymore.

1) They have a fickle fan base. From 15'-19' Miami ranked 35th in CFB in attendance

2) Facilities are outdated

3) The stadium is 20 miles from campus

4) Miami has to consistently compete with Florida, Florida St., Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Auburn for recruits in it's own backyard

I don't care who your AD is, it's not an easy place to win.

Insert usc and you sound like boomer fans. It’s not what it once was but there is plenty of nearby talent in a shit conference. If he leaves it’s because he is a cane fan.
    USC still has solid attendance numbers

Yes the facilities are outdated

The stadium is right near campus

They compete with Oregon mostly for California talent outside of 3-4 players. They have been losing to Oregon on the recruiting front because they had a shit coach for the last 6 or so years.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

None of whom were big dick hires like everyone is bitching about UW not making with DeBoner, FYI.

I don't think Oregon is a destination for the upper crust coaches out there, even with Uncle's willingness to flash the cash. Cristo leaves after all the coaching changes have been made and the Ducks will be in for a rude surprise when Moorhead gets promoted. I'm sure they think they have the same pull as USC reeling in Riley, though.
    In case you missed it UW has pretty much sucked since James on hires in particular when hiring from within

"Chip Kelley is imploding that program as speak". - Race Bannon 2009 (My fav quote)
    That too

Oregon does it

We don't

Now ask yourself why
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

So you can hire from within or smaller schools AND be good, as evidenced by Oregon. The fact that UW has sucked at it doesn't mean it's not possible. Those are not the same thing. Sounds like the backlash from some over the DeBoner hire has more to do with their own PTSD than it does evaluating the actual hire.
    I just look at the track record of who did the hire

I'd say if Mario went to Miami, it would be because of his mom. Miami isn't a destination program for coaches anymore.

1) They have a fickle fan base. From 15'-19' Miami ranked 35th in CFB in attendance

2) Facilities are outdated

3) The stadium is 20 miles from campus

4) Miami has to consistently compete with Florida, Florida St., Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Auburn for recruits in it's own backyard

I don't care who your AD is, it's not an easy place to win.

Yeah its not because he is from there or an alum or anything
    Alum and home town is great for a feel good story for a coach who has already won big somewhere else. Cristobal has a better chance of winning at Oregon, than he does at Miami. I was more concerned about LSU stealing him than Miami.

Moorehead is going to Akron I believe

I will grant you that point and it's the only part of the hire that gives me any pause since DeBoner is not the national, can't miss name at this point in time. I'll wait for him to suck next year before holding Cohen's failings against him.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,354 Founders Club

I will grant you that point and it's the only part of the hire that gives me any pause since DeBoner is not the national, can't miss name at this point in time. I'll wait for him to suck next year before holding Cohen's failings against him.
    That's what I'm endeavoring to do. I'm not sure I'll be able

I’d wait to see what the recruits and players hire first before inserting moorehead.
    You can laugh, but the players selected a coach who has done more in his three years at Oregon than any UW coach has since Don James.
    Mad_Son said:

My glee over Mario leaving would quickly be overshadowed by Oregon hiring Fickell.

Fickell likely to Notre Dame if he leaves his current gig. Oregon will have to hire scraps - the guy from Nevada or some shit like that. Or, please real God, they end up with Wilcox.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    I highly doubt Mario is going to leave for Miami
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

Then Miami better hope they make him an offer he can't refuse

Then Miami better hope they make him an offer he can't refuse
    If it's about money, Oregon will win.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,108

Mad_Son said:

My glee over Mario leaving would quickly be overshadowed by Oregon hiring Fickell.

Fickell likely to Notre Dame if he leaves his current gig. Oregon will have to hire scraps - the guy from Nevada or some shit like that. Or, please real God, they end up with Wilcox.
    I could actually see them hiring Wilcox if Mario leaves. They'll say "he will have extra motivation to coach for his school and Oregon recruits itself"
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,786 Swaye's Wigwam

Hi there.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2021

Oregon knew he wasn't a sure thing and spent money on mercenaries.

They learned from Helfrich not to just let the inexperienced head coach hand pick whatever coordinator he wants.

Meat did himself a lot of favors by working tirelessly to get talent in the door as well.

All of that offset the typical position coach hire from within.

Don't care about Climp but it's probably not too far off with how it went for Dabo too.

Edit: didn't mean to quote cunt there but while I'm at it. If I was a Miami grad and played for them I would absolutely bolt from the west coast back there. ACC is shit now. No Travel recruiting.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,121 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2021

I still laugh at Mario, especially when Whittingham crawls in his ass and spray paints his name on the walls.