Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSIO who stays, who declares and who Portals: Discussion

Comments

• Options
    PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Elijah Molden was getting a lot of hype before covid ball as a first round pick… then he goes late third, despite playing really well in his short four game season.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

24) Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

“We have a new entry into our 2022 NFL Draft Big Board, and a new contender at the top of the cornerback class. Washington’s pass defense is the best in the nation this season, allowing just 142.9 yards per game. Furthermore, they’ve allowed 1 less passing touchdown this year than the Georgia defense earning national recognition.

Kyler Gordon is one of the big reasons why. At 6’0″ and 200 pounds, he has decent size at the position. He’s incredibly athletic, possesses impressive ball skills, and his physicality is apparent on every snap. While his teammate earned more recognition coming into the season, Gordon has the upside to enter the draft as a prospect with more upside.“

This will be Interesting when the nfl scouts turn on the film to see these lock down corners that had safeties over the top of them every play and very rarely were tested.
    This is part of the reason why most all Pete era DBs get first round pub and then after film study get taken in the second/third round.
    Who got major first round pub? Sid for sure but it's amazing he still went as high as he did. Murphy maybe?

I don't remember a long list of guys expected to go in the first round. King maybe had a couple first round mentions but he was the first pick in the second round (same as Murphy), I would say he went higher than expected.
  • Options

“We have a new entry into our 2022 NFL Draft Big Board, and a new contender at the top of the cornerback class. Washington’s pass defense is the best in the nation this season, allowing just 142.9 yards per game. Furthermore, they’ve allowed 1 less passing touchdown this year than the Georgia defense earning national recognition.

Kyler Gordon is one of the big reasons why. At 6’0″ and 200 pounds, he has decent size at the position. He’s incredibly athletic, possesses impressive ball skills, and his physicality is apparent on every snap. While his teammate earned more recognition coming into the season, Gordon has the upside to enter the draft as a prospect with more upside.“

This will be Interesting when the nfl scouts turn on the film to see these lock down corners that had safeties over the top of them every play and very rarely were tested.
    Combine will be very big for both of them.

Elite combine numbers combined with reputation and UW DB success in the pros will help them a lot.

I would be very surprised if we don't see at least one of them go first round. Mid second is probably the floor for both of them.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

This is part of the reason why most all Pete era DBs get first round pub and then after film study get taken in the second/third round.
    The safeties have gotten deeper with time though. It wasn’t always as bad as It is now. At times peters, king, Jones, Murphy, and even Miller we’re left on islands occasionally. By 2019 it was completely different.

I remember watching the usc game and brock on the call was gargling Taylor’s balls about covering Pittman but there was a safety or two shadowing for the deep ball everywhere he went. Usc was just stupid in how they went at it. That’s when I started hating the defense.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    dnc said:

Who got major first round pub? Sid for sure but it's amazing he still went as high as he did. Murphy maybe?

I don't remember a long list of guys expected to go in the first round. King maybe had a couple first round mentions but he was the first pick in the second round (same as Murphy), I would say he went higher than expected.
    Molden, Sid Jones , Taylor Rapp, Kevin King, Budda Baker, Byron Murphy all got first round pub at one point. Keith Taylor was hyped up at one point as a potential second rounder and went round 5.

Gordon had first round pub before this season
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    dnc said:

Elite combine numbers combined with reputation and UW DB success in the pros will help them a lot.

I would be very surprised if we don't see at least one of them go first round. Mid second is probably the floor for both of them.
    I dont think Gordon and McDuffie are as good or as polished as past UW DBs but it wouldn't surprise me if past UW DB success carries them into the 1st-2nd round regardless.
  • Options

dnc said:

Molden, Sid Jones , Taylor Rapp, Kevin King, Budda Baker, Byron Murphy all got first round pub at one point. Keith Taylor was hyped up at one point as a potential second rounder and went round 5.
    There's so many mocks and pundits out there that being mentioned by someone as a possible first rounder doesn't equal first round pub in my book.

The only one who was universally expected to go in the first round was Sid. Maybe Budda was a consensus first rounder.

Who was hyping KT as a second rounder??
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,590
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I was referring to the random lists or projections where Jones, King, Baker, Murphy and Peters were all at one tim or another mentioned as first round guys. Rapp and Molden were seen as second rounders and slipped to the third. I'm just saying based on reputation and success they were all hailed as one thing and either injuries, combine results, or deeper film study of UWs scheme soured the scouts final grade. Maybe Im wearing purple tinted glasses when thinking back on how they were seen nationally. Very possible.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 787
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

Houhusky said:

dnc said:

I dont think Gordon and McDuffie are as good or as polished as past UW DBs but it wouldn't surprise me if past UW DB success carries them into the 1st-2nd round regardless.
    Gordon actually might be the most *technically gifted athlete of all recent uw dbs
    *fixed
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,637
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2021

dnc said:

I was referring to the random lists or projections where Jones, King, Baker, Murphy and Peters were all at one tim or another mentioned as first round guys. Rapp and Molden were seen as second rounders and slipped to the third. I'm just saying based on reputation and success they were all hailed as one thing and either injuries, combine results, or deeper film study of UWs scheme soured the scouts final grade. Maybe Im wearing purple tinted glasses when thinking back on how they were seen nationally. Very possible.
    I actually think Kyler has the most physical potential of any of the DBs we're talking about. I follow mocks really tight for some reason and the only one I remember being a consensus first guy was Jones and he actually only fell because of the achilles injury. I think people forget because he's underwhelmed in the NFL, but I thought he was actually the best of these guys as a Husky and that includes Budda.

I think Rapp was close to consensus late first but his injury and related slow testing knocked him for sure into the season.

The rest of the Petersen guys would occasionally pop into the back of a first round mock but that's really it.

I thought Molden was one of the more overrated Huskies in a long time for a long time and the kind of guy who if he was on Oregon I would shit on and point out wasn't that good But he was lights out in 2020 and I'm glad to see him doing well in the NFL.
  • Options

Jones is starting on the worst Seahawks team in a decade now thanks to injury. People forget that

Fixed, sadly
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,415
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

In terms of keeping Adams… not that hard to justify. He recruited the best player we have committed in the 2022 class… Bernard. Adams also kept Bernard’s commitment after two of his high school teammates decommitted. The other receiver commit, Denzel Boston isn’t highly ranked but you can’t criticize his size or speed. 2021 was seen as a bad recruiting year for Adams but he still got a four star commit in Tinae, convinced Giles Jackson to portal in (former four star who is a damn good returner) and portaled in Polk who actually might be good when healthy.

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

link?
    Dawgman.com

BTW UW allowed about 30 more running td's than Geogria's defense, and that's with them playing their 2 and 3's more times in Q3/Q4 of their games than not.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jones is starting on the Seahawks now. People forget that

Jones is good. He has always been good when he's been healthy.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Jones is starting on the Seahawks now. People forget that

Jones is good. He has always been good when he's been healthy.
    He is not a good nfl cb. I don’t even think he’s a starter.l in a decent team. In college he was great.
  • Options
    Nah he’s playing pretty well… Seattle’s problem is zero offense and a lack of pass rush
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jones is a meh NFL CB. He wouldn’t be a starter without injuries to starters.

But the world needs ditch diggers too.