Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sarkisian: 2012 Huskies couldn't overcome the youth factor

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,084
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nothing will change.

As a bench warmer in the SEC, I played very little, but I did see how winning teams are built. Cream Puff is not even close.

Lack of preparedness, direction, attitude, toughness, player development and accountability. These are coaching problems. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see things changing until a new head coach takes over.

And after having a 12-1 season as BYU QB, and being a protege under Pete Carroll at USC, Sark knows absolutely nothing about how a winning team is built. He has never seen what a winning team looks like, has he?

So I guess you must have some kind of privileged insider's perspective of the UW program and you see the daily ins and outs of the program that leads you to the conclusion that nothing will change and Sark is not even close to building a winning team?
    Have you been paying attention at all the last 4 years
  • Options
    NorthLakeDubNorthLakeDub Member Posts: 47
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

Nothing will change.

As a bench warmer in the SEC, I played very little, but I did see how winning teams are built. Cream Puff is not even close.

Lack of preparedness, direction, attitude, toughness, player development and accountability. These are coaching problems. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see things changing until a new head coach takes over.

And after having a 12-1 season as BYU QB, and being a protege under Pete Carroll at USC, Sark knows absolutely nothing about how a winning team is built. He has never seen what a winning team looks like, has he?

So I guess you must have some kind of privileged insider's perspective of the UW program and you see the daily ins and outs of the program that leads you to the conclusion that nothing will change and Sark is not even close to building a winning team?
    Have you been paying attention at all for the last 12 years?
  • Options

Nothing will change.

I've seen a program on the rise the last 4 years. Yes there have been a lot of ups and downs (some seriously embarrassing lows). But that is not an indication of where we will stand in the coming years. New Husky Stadium, new Era of Championship Husky Football.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    7-6 rising over 7-6 rising over 7-6. Winners win. They aren't rising they fucking rose
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

7-6 rising over 7-6 rising over 7-6. Winners win. They aren't rising they fucking rose plateaued

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2013
    Northlake, what more do you need to see?

Do you think Sark's road record is a fluke? Do you think things are going to magically change this year because the players are older?

Do you think we will play physical? We have been soft for four years.

Have you seen the lack of discipline?

We will go 1-3 (best case scenario) in conference road games. We will lose to Oregon. Then, we will probably blow a game against Boise State, Arizona, or Illinois. No way we finish better than 8-4 this year. We will miss a bowl before we win 10.

• Options

So if they had been 9-4 last season like they should have been, then would you say the program is in good condition? A couple of stupid fluke losses away from being 9-4 and the program is hopeless? Yes those losses were an embarrassment and inexcusable mistakes. But that does not define where the program is currently at.

The program rose to respectability the last 4 years, and now with the new Husky Stadium and facilities upgrades, we can finally "take the next step" (I know you all love that quote from last season haha) to elite status.

We fell behind in the facilities race for far too long. Not even Nick Saban could win the Pac 12 with a piece of shit stadium with a fucking track around the field, and a decade of miserable losing seasons.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,420
    Founders Club

So if they had been 9-4 last season like they should have been, then would you say the program is in good condition? A couple of stupid fluke losses away from being 9-4 and the program is hopeless? Yes those losses were an embarrassment and inexcusable mistakes. But that does not define where the program is currently at.

The program rose to respectability the last 4 years, and now with the new Husky Stadium and facilities upgrades, we can finally "take the next step" (I know you all love that quote from last season haha) to elite status.

We fell behind in the facilities race for far too long. Not even Nick Saban could win the Pac 12 with a piece of shit stadium with a fucking track around the field, and a decade of miserable losing seasons.

If you're going to count losses as wins, then let's be fair to Stanford and Oregon State. They are looking at their games with us last year as "stupid fluke losses", due primarily to horrible QB play from their starters. It can be argued that under normal circumstances, OSU and Stanford beat us easily last year.

But we beat them, so we count those as victories, don't we? You can't give a team credit for winning games they didn't win.
  • Options

If you're going to count losses as wins, then let's be fair to Stanford and Oregon State. They are looking at their games with us last year as "stupid fluke losses", due primarily to horrible QB play from their starters. It can be argued that under normal circumstances, OSU and Stanford beat us easily last year.

But we beat them, so we count those as victories, don't we? You can't give a team credit for winning games they didn't win.
    I am not counting losses as wins. A loss is a loss and a win is a win. My point is that the program can't be defined as hopeless based on our shitty games.

I agree, the discipline has been bad and we have to cut out the stupid penalties and mistakes. But I just don't agree with the sentiment that we are soft and lack a winning attitude. I think we have a tough mentality and great swagger.

We beat Stanford and OSU with smashmouth football. Our defense had a lot to do with the bad QB play in those games. Those were examples of how tough we can be. Now we need to turn the corner, "take the next step", however you want to say it, and finally get the consistent level of play that all of us die hard Husky Fans want and expect instead of this bipolar up and down crap.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2013
    Sure you are. That's the basis for your argument. The Stanford QB that started that day couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and has since quit the team. Same for the OSU QB, in terms of inaccuracy. Do you think if Hogan started that day that the Husky Smashmouth play would've won? No way. But they played the Nunes guy, and the Huskies DID win.
  • Options
    I never said to count it as a 9-4 season. I am saying that we were a couple of mistakes away from being 9-4. So either you trust in Sark to fix the mistakes, or you don't. I am just as sickened by all the stupid losses as everyone else, it makes me physically sick to my stomach. I just believe the mistakes will be fixed, and the overall program is on the rise. I expect 9 or 10 wins this season, otherwise I would start looking for a new coach.
  • Options
    And I don't know if we would have beat Stanford with Hogan or not. To me that is irrelevant. We beat them with the QB that they chose to start. And Mannion for OSU was their starter the year before when we lost to them if I'm not mistaken.

Would we have lost to WSU and BSU if we had our full starting O Line? Who knows? But it doesn't matter because we lost.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If people are going to say "we would have been 9-4 if not for 2 missed field goals", you also have to take into account wins where the ball takes a 1 in a million bounce off the foot of a receiver a millimeter from the ground and UW scores a TD for the win.

You look at overall patterns. The WSU game last year shouldn't have even came close to a field goal for the win. That was a 20+ win that went vanished because the team let it vanish. Last year's Arizona blowout, the Oregon blowouts, LSU's Dline taunting the UW Oline, "House Money", Baylor Bowl, Boise State Bowl...these are patterns.

My metaphor is golf. If you look at a few rounds overtime, the kind of golfer you are will be apparent. Bouncing one off a tree that lands a foot from the cup for a birdie doesn't make you a good golfer. Taking a quadruple boogie doesn't make you a bad golfer. Averaging 1 or 2 strokes over par makes you an average golfer. Sark and his team is average based on the last 51 games.

• Options
    Founders Club

And I don't know if we would have beat Stanford with Hogan or not. To me that is irrelevant. We beat them with the QB that they chose to start. And Mannion for OSU was their starter the year before when we lost to them if I'm not mistaken.

Would we have lost to WSU and BSU if we had our full starting O Line? Who knows? But it doesn't matter because we lost.

I'm not sure that you have a clear understanding of what you're trying to say. And I don't mean that as an insult. In any event, welcome to the boreds and I hope you enjoy it here.
  • Options
    Mike, I see what you are saying about the overall patterns. There have been some disturbing patterns in the Sark era. I would say the most obvious one being the porous defense, which he addressed by remaking the D staff. And the entire program from Sark on down has acknowledged the fact that hurry up spread offenses have killed us, and they are focusing a great amount of effort into addressing that.

As far as the silly statements like "playing with house money" and other in game coaching mistakes, I would attribute that to being a young, inexperienced coach. He is still evolving and growing as a coach. I think 98% of the time, Sark has the right mentality, and says the right thing.

Sark has already shown his ability to run a potent offense. I think the 2012 offense was an aberration because of all the O line injuries. The 2013 offense will return to a high level with 5th year senior Keith Price having a season more like 2011.

Yes, Sark and his team have been average "golfers" so far, I like your metaphor btw. But if you are an average golfer that has the ability to hit the great shots, all you have to do is cut out the bad shots, and you will become good. As opposed to an average golfer who doesn't have the ability to hit great shots ever, he is just average and will always be average. I think Sark and this team fall into the first category.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mike, I see what you are saying about the overall patterns. There have been some disturbing patterns in the Sark era. I would say the most obvious one being the porous defense, which he addressed by remaking the D staff. And the entire program from Sark on down has acknowledged the fact that hurry up spread offenses have killed us, and they are focusing a great amount of effort into addressing that.

As far as the silly statements like "playing with house money" and other in game coaching mistakes, I would attribute that to being a young, inexperienced coach. He is still evolving and growing as a coach. I think 98% of the time, Sark has the right mentality, and says the right thing.

Sark has already shown his ability to run a potent offense. I think the 2012 offense was an aberration because of all the O line injuries. The 2013 offense will return to a high level with 5th year senior Keith Price having a season more like 2011.

Yes, Sark and his team have been average "golfers" so far, I like your metaphor btw. But if you are an average golfer that has the ability to hit the great shots, all you have to do is cut out the bad shots, and you will become good. As opposed to an average golfer who doesn't have the ability to hit great shots ever, he is just average and will always be average. I think Sark and this team fall into the first category.

I guess from my standpoint, he looks more like the guy that will always be average. The fact that he is still "young and learning" after 51 games leads me to believe what you see is what you get.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    edited June 2013
    Sark hasnt shown any ability to run a potent offense. He was an OC at USC for only 2 years. Anyone could have that job and be okay. He never had to build shit. AND, in his 4 years, the 2011 offense is the outlier. The offense sucked the other three years and in 2011 if you exclude the extremely high red zone output, it was basically an average offense.Furthermore, there is no trend or consistency to the offense in his 4 years.

And cut the 9-4 shit. We were in the bottom 5 (out of 12 teams) in almost every statistic except for pass defense. The metrics had us ranked around 40th. We didn't outscore our opponents. Who goes 9-4 and cant even outscore its opponents?

Its actually good we didn't go 9-4 bc it would have given the fanbase the false impression that we were turning the corner.

There are two reasons to be optimistic going forward- new stadium and a very strong defensive staff. Sark is the weak link in the program and he inherited a 4-5 win team (not a 0 win team) and should be credited for the quick recovery. Since that he's stagnated and is lucky he has a new stadium and strong D staff that my save his job for another year or two.

Young fans (which I'm guessing you are), cannot look at Sark objectively because the memories, their basis of comparison are only the past 10 years. 7-8 wins doesn't mean shit. Its whether Sark can be a championship coach or not and so far he's shown nothing to think he can be that coach. This school has the history, fanbase, location and now facilities to attract big-time coaches who can win championships. Either Sark can get it done the next two years or he can take his healthy paycheck and GTFO. A handful of better coaches would line up at the chance to coach at UW. This is about UW Football, not Sark.
  • Options
    This is what I am trying to say. Sark is the one. He is the next Dawgfather. He is a great leader and he knows what he is doing. That is my opinion. If I am wrong and we only win 8 games next year, then I will say fire him. I say we will win 10 games next year. After that, the next great Husky QB will be Troy Williams, he will take us to Rose Bowls and a NC.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We've been whooooshed
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

We've been whooooshed

Disagree