Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wichita St and the NCAA Tournament

I love all the people whining and crying about the "draw" that Wichita State has to get to the Final Four.

People talk about Kentucky ... a Kentucky team that has lost 10 games playing in a dreckfest of a conference in the SEC that has 2.5 teams in the NCAA Tournament. The same Kentucky team that is being said to be "hitting their stride" yet has lost 4 of their last 7? Apparently moral losses against a Florida team that everybody says is great that I'm still not 100% sold on them being anything more than a talented but somewhat hot/cold offensive team that is viewed as being a great defensive team because of the competition that they've played in the SEC. Kansas St is at least as talented as Kentucky (from what they've shown - although certainly Kentucky probably has a higher ceiling if they both play their best) yet everybody thinks it's a given that Kentucky will just waltz on through that game?

Then everybody talks about how great Louisville is but that conference they play in is full of teams that are either decent with limited offensive ability or just downright terrible. It's definitely not the same team that they were last year when they won a national title ... even though everybody would make you want to think that they are.

Michigan is probably the weakest 2 seed along with Villanova. And Duke's shown time after time this year that they are great as long as you don't hit them in the mouth but they definitely aren't physical.

Not saying that Wichita State's path is easy ... but people making it out to be the hardest path in the world might as well just say that they don't think that their record is for real and that their team is talented. Something tells me that since Gregg Marshall is a good coach (hello Kim Jong Vino) that he'll make sure that he has his team properly motivated and fully aware that most people don't think that they are worth a damn.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Louisville is better than a 4 seed, shitty conference or not. The only thing I agree with you about is Kentucky isnt that good.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think UVA has the toughest path. In the second round you have a Memphis team that is inconsistent but can hang with almost anyone athletically. Then you have a michigan state team coached by tom Izzo and is finally healthy and peaking at the right time. Then in the elite eight you have iowa state who just won the big 12 tourney or an incredibly physical nova team (although not sold on then). That's brutal
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Louisville is definitely a team that probably got screwed by the seeding. But I really don't know if we know how good that they are. Every time I've watched UConn or Cincy or Memphis in that conference I've been left with a feeling of being unimpressed. Once you get below SMU, the teams are terrible. They never really pushed themselves this season.

My sense is that they aren't anywhere close to as good as they were last year when Wichita State played with them in the Final Four. I definitely think that Wichita State is better this year than they were last year.
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if Virginia got past Sparty ... Sparty's the one team that I've been looking at all season as the team that if they are playing well I'm not sure anybody can beat when they are at their best. Finally looks like they are playing at that level.
  • Options
    I agree with you tequila, I can't see virginia getting by msu and if they do I'm not sure they can beat isu after that
  • Options
    I'm surprised that so many of the so-called experts are calling for a Sparty National Title ... not that I don't disagree as they've been one of my favorites all year provided they could get righted and healthy heading into the tournament.

When I was in Vegas around Christmas time last year, I made 3 National Championship bets at the time (Sparty wasn't one of them because the odds weren't very good at all):

Arizona @‌ 10-1
    Syracuse @ 12-1
    Wisconsin @ 40-1

I'm liking the fact that Arizona and Wisconsin are both in the West ... can't see one of them not getting to the Final Four.
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Please explain how UW isn't a top 60 team. He'll we're not even top 100.

But Ro is really good. Really.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    mobey said:

Please explain how UW isn't a top 60 team. He'll we're not even top 100.

But Ro is really good. Really.

Disagree. Pomeroy has us at 95.

WOOF!

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,089
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I don't understand this thread.
  • Options
    I'm picking arizona to be the only 1 seed to make the final four basically because of path. Wisconsin is a perennial choker in the tourny. Creighton outside of 1 or 2 games hasn't really impressed me, I think Okie State will be their toughest game in their region.
    If Embid gets healthy I think Kansas can beat Florida, if not that pick is screwed.
    I picked Michigan State over Virginia, thought hard about picking ISU over them in the elite eight.
    And then I like Duke over Wichita, basically because I don't want to risk putting wichita in the final four because I'm not sold they beat LU.
    When Embid is healthy I think Kansas is the best team, mainly because of that stretch in midseason when they knocked off like 5 ranked teams, and I trust Self
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dhdawg said:

I'm picking arizona to be the only 1 seed to make the final four basically because of path. Wisconsin is a perennial choker in the tourny. Creighton outside of 1 or 2 games hasn't really impressed me, I think Okie State will be their toughest game in their region.
    If Embid gets healthy I think Kansas can beat Florida, if not that pick is screwed.
    I picked Michigan State over Virginia, thought hard about picking ISU over them in the elite eight.
    And then I like Duke over Wichita, basically because I don't want to risk putting wichita in the final four because I'm not sold they beat LU.
    When Embid is healthy I think Kansas is the best team, mainly because of that stretch in midseason when they knocked off like 5 ranked teams, and I trust Self

When did Arizona fire Sean Miller?
  • Options
    I know, I know. But find me someone in that dreckfest region who can beat them? okie state? maybe
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dhdawg said:

When did Arizona fire Sean Miller?
    I didn't know Beach posted on HH.
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

I know, I know. But find me someone in that dreckfest region who can beat them? okie state? maybe

Oregon, Cal, ASU, and UCLA have beaten Arizona this season.

The Wildcats are in a soft region, but they're not exactly a powerhouse.
  • Options
    Arizona's downfall will be that they can't shoot from the outside and they have some guys that can't shoot from the free throw line (see Aaron Gordon).
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Oklahoma State will beat Arizona.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Arizona's downfall will be that they can't shoot from the outside and they have some guys that can't shoot from the free throw line (see Aaron Gordon).

which is exactly why I'm picking Kansas to beat them in the NCG.
    I just don't see a team that can force them to shoot from the perimeter. And I don't know if Okie State has enough to beat them (they will be their hardest test before the final four)
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I wish we could bet on that. Oklahoma State was overrated at the beginning of the year because of Smart. 50-50 that Oklahoma State beats Gonzaga.
  • Options

I wish we could bet on that. Oklahoma State was overrated at the beginning of the year because of Smart. 50-50 that Oklahoma State beats Gonzaga.
    You should go bet Gonzaga on the money line if you believe this.

Or you should just bet The Field.