Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wichita St and the NCAA Tournament

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    Gonzaga is the basketball version of Oregon to Doogs. Even you guys went full doog over them. I mentioned it earlier, but didn't realize how bad it was until I looked some things up. Gonzaga hasn't lost their first tournament game since 2008 to Davidson.

But they can't beat Oklahoma State. What a powerhouse Oklahoma State is. Oklahoma State's run to the second round in 2009 was special. Good teams have 7 game losing streaks during conference play. Small, little Gonzaga from the shitty conference never does anything in the tournament and has no chance. I'm hearing Gonzaga has three 6'0" guards that couldn't start on some high school teams.

Disclaimer: I have hated Gonzaga ever since Dan Dickau and Casey Calvery graduated. They have a good program though, despite choking a time or two (Adam Morrison years, last year) in the tournament.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2014

Gonzaga is the basketball version of Oregon to Doogs. Even you guys went full doog over them. I mentioned it earlier, but didn't realize how bad it was until I looked some things up. Gonzaga hasn't lost their first tournament game since 2008 to Davidson.

But they can't beat Oklahoma State. What a powerhouse Oklahoma State is. Oklahoma State's run to the second round in 2009 was special. Good teams have 7 game losing streaks during conference play. Small, little Gonzaga from the shitty conference never does anything in the tournament and has no chance. I'm hearing Gonzaga has three 6'0" guards that couldn't start on some high school teams.

Disclaimer: I have hated Gonzaga ever since Dan Dickau and Casey Calvery graduated. They have a good program though, despite choking a time or two (Adam Morrison years, last year) in the tournament.

Doogs hate GU, but that doesn't mean the Zags rep is wrong.

They've made it past the round of 32 just twice since 2001 (and never past the S16). That's two Sweet 16s in their last 12 tournaments. They have a losing record in the NCAAs (11-12) in that time period.

Lorenzo Romar, who we all agree sucks, has made it past the round of 32 three times in that time period. Few's tournament winning percentage is 51.7. Romar's is 57.1. Anytime you come up poorly in a comparison to Lorenzo Romar, you're doing something wrong.

This despite GU being in the tournament every single year and often being seeded well - they've failed to reach the Sweet 16 as a 1 (2013), 3 (2005), and a 2 (2004).

Yes, they should beat OK State, but there is a decent chance they won't. Mark Few is as underachieving of a tournament coach as there is anywhere in America.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I still don't understand this thread, but I learned about McBuckets, so it's cool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    dnc said:

Doogs hate GU, but that doesn't mean the Zags rep is wrong.

They've made it past the round of 32 just twice since 2001 (and never past the S16). That's two Sweet 16s in their last 12 tournaments. They have a losing record in the NCAAs (11-12) in that time period.

Lorenzo Romar, who we all agree sucks, has made it past the round of 32 three times in that time period. Few's tournament winning percentage is 51.7. Romar's is 57.1. Anytime you come up poorly in a comparison to Lorenzo Romar, you're doing something wrong.

This despite GU being in the tournament every single year and often being seeded well - they've failed to reach the Sweet 16 as a 1 (2013), 3 (2005), and a 2 (2004).

Yes, they should beat OK State, but there is a decent chance they won't. Mark Few is as underachieving of a tournament coach as there is anywhere in America.
    THIS.

The magical elite 8 run was made by Monson not Few which most Doogs/Zoogs(?) probably don't realize.

Since 2001 they have lived off that Cinderella rep despite mostly choking in the tournament. We've seen Butler, VCU, Witchita State and George Mason make much more impressive runs than them even.

They've earned their rep as choke artists and it's been since Clinton was in office the last time they pulled off a major upset in March.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @dnc‌ I agree with your post, but saying they can't beat Ok State and saying they have 3 guards that can't start on a high school team is a doog statement. I guess it doesn't really matter. Whoever wins will lose to Arizona in the next round.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Road was right, and I don't even think the zags are that good. OSU is now 3-11 from the line and never do anything but shoot from the perimeter. If you want an example of what attacking can do for a team watch Arizona state last night. Even though they lost driving got them to the line and opened up easy buckets for bachybski and gilling. Fuck Kansas got outscored 30-0 from the e point line today and still won by doue digits. I hate perimeter shooting teams
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You can shoot from the perimeter and be successful ... but you HAVE to get into the lane one way or another.

There's good 3 point shots and bad 3 point shots ... teams that can't get into the lane will end up shooting a ton of bad 3's.
  • Options
    Yep, and Oklahoma state takes bad 3's, especially forte, out of rhythm off the dribble, early in clock 3's, terrible
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gonzaga isn't that good. It's just that Oklahoma State sucks. Smart is easily the most overrated player in the country and their coach is terrible.
  • Options
    Smart drifts a lot ... he rarely plays a consistent 40 minutes.

When I watched them in Vegas ... it was very clear watching them how much he drifts. When he wants to play, he's almost impossible to stop.

He's also a fucking idiot.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited March 2014

Gonzaga isn't that good. It's just that Oklahoma State sucks. Smart is easily the most overrated player in the country and their coach is terrible.

15 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 steals. He has glaring flaws but he can play.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

15 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 steals. He has glaring flaws but he can play.
    Didn't even watch today. I've seen him play quite a few times though and have never been impressed.
  • Options
    I swear watching that whole game I thought I was watching a romar team, had superior athletes but fouled a ton, took bad shots and was dogshif from the line. Travis ford is now 1-5 in the dance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Surprised Road Dawg didn't come into this thread just to beat his chest. Guess he's going to last long.........
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014

Surprised Road Dawg didn't come into this thread just to beat his chest. Guess he's going to last long.........

I only said it was 50-50 and it was stupid that everyone counted Gonzaga out. I had watched Oklahoma State a few times and knew that they sucked. Looks like you need to learn the difference. I was just calling out the dooginess of the Gonzaga hate. Few has underachieved many times in the tournament, but this is the 6th year in a row he has won his first game.

• Options
    I hate Few ... don't hate Gonzaga. If they had a non-douchebag coach there, I'd probably actually root for them. In general, I like how they play.

I'm surprised they won just simply because of the fact that they are so unathletic in a comparative sense. But then again, Oklahoma State generally doesn't disappoint if you bet on them to be a bunch of idiots.
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    dhdawg said:

I swear watching that whole game I thought I was watching a romar team, had superior athletes but fouled a ton, took bad shots and was dogshif from the line. Travis ford is now 1-5 in the dance

Thought the exact same thing.

Clueless on how to take advantage, AT LEAST OFFENSIVELY, of three small unathletic guards. When Dayton beat GU earlier this year they simply cleared out and butchered their guards.

Not that difficult.

I've always said Few can come up with a game plan but is terrible in game when it's not working. Ro is bad at game planning and terrible in game both. Ford is similar to Ro before Ro gave up.

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Thoughts on Andrew Wiggins in the NBA? Dude completely disappeared against Stanford and only took 6 shots. He is soft and seems like a #2 scoring option in the NBA, not someone you run the offense through.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Thoughts on Andrew Wiggins in the NBA? Dude completely disappeared against Stanford and only took 6 shots. He is soft and seems like a #2 scoring option in the NBA, not someone you run the offense through.

I think he will be pretty good. He was averaging 28 in the 4 games before this one. He doesn't dominate yet like you would want, but his game is effortless so I think it translates well to the NBA.

• Options
    It really sucks that they lost. And it had to be to Cali tucking pari