Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Save the Pac?

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
It is time for something drastic if the Pac wants to remain relevant in the new CFB climate. Some like @CokeGreaterThanPepsi are suggesting UW, the LA schools and Oregon reach out to the B1G. I think this makes a lot of sense. I do, however, think there is one path to a worthwhile Pac16 that should be explored first.

It is probably unlikely to work, and would require the Pac loosening some long held standards. But it would allow the Pac to build credibility, expand TV markets, and actually restore one element of tradition.

The cornerstone of this plan is TAMU. If you can't get them on board it won't work. But they are pissed at the SEC right now, and facing a world as Texas's little brother again which is exactly why they left the Big 12. If they were ever in play now is the time to strike.

If you can get TAMU on board, you then add Oklahoma State. These are the two automatics to this plan. You then add two of these three depending on what the Pac prioritizes: Nebraska, Texas Tech, TCU.

Nebraska is also famously unhappy with their conference. This reuinites them with their Colorado rivalry and a couple other old Big 8 rivals. TCU gets you the DFW market. Obviously this would require a drastic change in what the Pac looks for in a university. But as I said, it is time for something drastic.

TAMU, OK State, Nebraska, TCU is the ideal 4 as far as TV markets and pure football relevance. If the Pac won't budge to add TCU, or TAMU demands another Texas public school in order to join, drop TCU (or Nebraska) for Tech.

Any of those foursomes gives you a Pac East and a Pac West (the old Pac 8). This restores some tradition while being aggressive in expanding your footprint. Most importantly it doesn't add any G5 schools. You are adding legitimate Power 5 level football programs.

The Arizona and Mountain schools won't love losing the LA market from their division but they get Texas as a reward, and it's far better than losing USC, UCLA completely. In the process you add Houston and Dallas (if you get TCU) as massive major TV markets, plus OK City, Tulsa, Omaha and Lincoln as smaller markets.

This works financially, adds a mix of traditional powers (Nebraska and TAMU), a power booster to compete with Oregons facilities (OSU) and a new football power with some tradition who has done remarkably well reestablishing themselves as legitimate (TCU). I would stay in the Pac for this Pac16. But only for this Pac16.

None of this crap adding Boise or BYU or UNLV or San Diego State is the least bit worthwhile.

Time for Kliavkoff to show some vision and sales ability. Go get TAMU!

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2021
    I’d prefer UW, UO, USC, and UCLA just rush to the Big 10.

Texas A&M, Okie St, Nebraska, and TCU aren’t saving this conference.
  • Options

Mike says it's happening but with Colorado instead of UW :D

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,496
    dnc said:

Sorry Ducks, B1G won't accept any university with less than $1bn in endowment
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,682
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

Sweet

The new Pac 12

North
    WSU
    OSU
    UW
    Boise State
    BYU
    CSU

South
    Stanford
    ASU
    UA
    Utah
    SDSU
    Cal
    Do we? remain a Power 5 with that lineup? Automatic playoffs every year for UW.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,049
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    HuskyJW said:

Sweet

The new Pac 12

North
    WSU
    OSU
    UW
    Boise State
    BYU
    CSU

South
    Stanford
    ASU
    UA
    Utah
    SDSU
    Cal

it would be special losing to stanford year in and year out in the p12 (or what the fuck ever the conference would be called) title.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,227
    Swaye's Wigwam

The realignment and the restoration of LA schools along with both NW schools being good at the same time would

Colorado and Nebraska would be revitalized as well. And someday ASU may do more than export STDs

Fortune favors the bold
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I don't know what I'm talking about at all when I post the following, and I am not pro-gov't regulation in most instances, but at some point does it make sense for some level of gov't to step in since these are publicly funded universities? Can a conference be considered in violation of antitrust laws? Some of the articles I'm reading are now floating ideas about 32-team "superconferences." This shit is getting absurd.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Some sort of defection to the Big is the only solution IMO. The shared history of the conferences and extremely close similarities of university profiles makes it an easy choice.

If the SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma, it renders every other league distinctly inferior (even more so) and combined with NIL will further crater recruiting out West.

Adding UT and Oklahoma was the only thing that would ever save the Pac, now that is out the window.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited July 2021

Some sort of defection to the Big is the only solution IMO. The shared history of the conferences and extremely close similarities of university profiles makes it an easy choice.

If the SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma, it renders every other league distinctly inferior (even more so) and combined with NIL will further crater recruiting out West.

Adding UT and Oklahoma was the only thing that would ever save the Pac, now that is out the window.

Fuck the B1G. Fuck all this realignment.

Rule 1 should be that conferences are required to have contiguous borders. UW having to fly 2,000+ miles for every road game is full retard.
  • Options
    Baylor seems like the most unlikely school in the world to join the Pac outside maybe BYU.

If the Pac takes Baylor George has completely reorganized priorities in a very short period of tim. I'd be impressed.

Butt I'm super skeptical.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,197
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Baylor seems like the most unlikely school in the world to join the Pac outside maybe BYU.

If the Pac takes Baylor George has completely reorganized priorities in a very short period of tim. I'd be impressed.

Butt I'm super skeptical.

No way Baylor joins Pac 12.