Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Save the Pac?

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,485 Swaye's Wigwam

The pac 12 sucks because it hasnt dont anything in 5 years in football.

If the pac 12 wins, that is far more important than adding Houston, Okie State, etc

Expansion would fucking suck.

The SEC isnt doing itself any favors. Im not a fan of this move at all. There are too many fucking teams in that conference now, it's ridiculous.

What's going to happen when OU and Texas never sniff success?

The next time realignment happens it will be thr B1G or SEC losing members to form a new conference. Cook it.

i am mildly surprised that ou is agreeing to this, they have a fucking cakewalk to the playoff each year (they get throttled, but still!) and now you're scheduling bama each season?

ts an ps sent.
    It makes no sense. Texas and OU are in for a really rude awakening.

The Pac 12 dominates every sport besides football and basketball. Basketball is trending in the right direction.

The Pac 12 has a football problem, everything else is fine.

UW is a big part of that problem. If we had just won 1 of our fucking NY6 games...
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,715
    dnc said:

Baylor seems like the most unlikely school in the world to join the Pac outside maybe BYU.

If the Pac takes Baylor George has completely reorganized priorities in a very short period of tim. I'd be impressed.

Butt I'm super skeptical.

Kliavkoff's job is to retain or expand the Pac-12. He will not be inclined to see major members leave or to enhance UW's national position. Essentially there is nothing he can do to keep up with SEC and B1G.

If I had first choice to pick the best financial, prestige, and competitive situation for UW, it would be being part of 6 Pac teams joining the Big. That would make a 20 team conference.

So much more money in the Big and it's media markets. USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW are obvious choices. The other two maybe Utah, Colorado, AZ schools.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    edited July 2021

If the pac 12 wins, that is far more important than adding Houston, Okie State, etc

The SEC isnt doing itself any favors. Im not a fan of this move at all. There are too many fucking teams in that conference now, it's ridiculous.

The next time realignment happens it will be thr B1G or SEC losing members to form a new conference. Cook it.

i am mildly surprised that ou is agreeing to this, they have a fucking cakewalk to the playoff each year (they get throttled, but still!) and now you're scheduling bama each season?

ts an ps sent.

The Pac 12 dominates every sport besides football and basketball. Basketball is trending in the right direction.

UW is a big part of that problem. If we had just won 1 of our fucking NY6 games...

1. This is about money. Sec is going to pay out even more now.

2. This is going to divide d1 into a higher division eventually. Multiple teams every year from the SEC will battle it out and get I to whatever playoff snd make a ton of money. Better to be with the haves than the have nots. I would guess this ends in 3 super conferences. Maybe 4, but they don’t need a fourth.

3. Again this is about money. Until leaving the haves makes you more money nobody can hear anything else.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

ts an ps sent.

2. This is going to divide d1 into a higher division eventually. Multiple teams every year from the SEC will battle it out and get I to whatever playoff snd make a ton of money. Better to be with the haves than the have nots. I would guess this ends in 3 super conferences. Maybe 4, but they don’t need a fourth.

3. Again this is about money. Until leaving the haves makes you more money nobody can hear anything else.

• Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,715

ts an ps sent.

B1G schools each got 70 million in TV money last year.

Pac schools got like 40 mill?

Due to Jimmy and Jen and the stupid Pac, UW recruiting and program infrastructure is already weak.

If TV is throwing huge amounts to the SEC and B1G what is left for the Pac and UW? I don't see Kliavkoff as making a big difference here.

Fuck this life.

ts an ps sent.

Some are having trouble grasping this.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,485 Swaye's Wigwam

ts an ps sent.

Fucking lol. If you have a football problem you have an everything problem. A mild resurgence in basketball success isn't moving the needle one bit. Stay in the current iteration and the conference is dead. Might already be dead regardless. Like looking at a star millions of light years away. The thing died years ago, we're just late getting the news.
    I get it.

My point is that no amount of shuffling is going to fix that problem. The Pac 12 is going to have to beat the SEC and B1G on the field. Simple as that.

And no, the Pac 12 isnt going to combine with the B1G...
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,944 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

If there is talk of 20 team conferences (and I saw some rumor of the rest of the Big 12 reaching out to the Pac12 to make one) then it needs to be the best 6 schools in the PAC going to the Big 10. And maybe the Big 10 needs to lose a member or two. But it makes a ton of sense to have two 10 team divisions and gee I don’t know MAYBE PLAY THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN THE ROSE BOWL BETWEEN EAST AND WEST.

Goodbye Rutgers.

West:
    Nebraska, Iowa Minnesota
    UW
    UO
    4 Cali schools
    Colorado

All the schools that kinda, sorta care about academis could be in one super conference. So best of the Big and the Pac.

Where's @creepycoug when we need him?

ts an ps sent.

Fucking lol. If you have a football problem you have an everything problem. A mild resurgence in basketball success isn't moving the needle one bit. Stay in the current iteration and the conference is dead. Might already be dead regardless. Like looking at a star millions of light years away. The thing died years ago, we're just late getting the news.
    I get it.

My point is that no amount of shuffling is going to fix that problem. The Pac 12 is going to have to beat the SEC and B1G on the field. Simple as that.

And no, the Pac 12 isnt going to combine with the B1G...
    Beating the sec isn’t going to solve the money issue. They care more and invest more into it. So does their region not affiliated with the school.

A player in the sec will be able to make more $$ in the south with a few exceptions.

The issues at hand with all of this ha s much less to do with the performance on the field. It’s more
    The cause to the lack of performance on the field going forward.

Would Jack cobra browning have approached $1.0M in his career after 3 straight ny6 bowls?

Bama has a qb that may not even be the starter surpassing that already. Out west maybe SC could approach that when they have it rolling but they don’t even care enough to fire a shit coach.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

The pac 12 is perfect the way it is. We dont need big 12 afterthoughts diluting the conference.

The remnants of the big 12 should pick up boise and byu, maybe Houston and Cincinnati. Would be fine

And this is why the Pac 12 and UW suck

NYBE kid

It isn't fine how it is. They fucked it up last time. Fuck it up this time and its over

I'd love to keep it the same. I'd love to go back to 8 teams. But that ship sailed
    This is a good time to listen to your elders
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

In my opinion, college football was the greatest sport ever. Takes arguably the most exciting and complex team sport ever created and displays it at the perfect level: A high enough level that you're still watching freaks be freaks but not such a high level that you might as well be watching robots play. In college football, there is still big money and pressure on the line, but not so much that conservatism reigns. Every NFL team looks exactly like every other NFL team, to the point where a player can be traded and be starting for the new team a week later. Most football innovations start at the high school or college levels, usually out of necessity, as the playing field can be so tilted. There are years where OSU (west) or WSU are legit good, and that's amazing! Rivalries are regional and accessible. Players stay on the same team throughout their career--they choose their team just like the fan does, so they're more relatable and likeable than a pro mercenary.

The problem is that nearly all of these reasons that college football is great have either already been thrown in the trash or are about to be. The transfer portal has already brought free agency. (Hell, all the hand-wringing here over the total cuckery of wishing Oregon well in repping the north was closing the barn door after the horse was already out: Just the prior season, UW cried in a corner while watching Georgia fuck their girl, then took their sloppy seconds and let him start at quarterback. All for 8-5.) Now NIL is bringing the mercenary nature of the players into the light of day.

And this imbalance is tilting the playing field so far toward the haves that even the ingenuity and variety that used to keep the game interesting is no longer sufficient. You're not going to beat Alabama's 40 5-stars no matter how clever your scheme and no matter how much you care about the kids and develop them. Besides--you're just developing some portion of them so they can transfer to a lower school if they're impatient for playing time or a higher school if they were using you as a stepping stone to greater exposure in the SEC.

And then the final nail in the coffin: Traveling 3000 miles to take on a "conference rival," because that's all a "lowly" program like the fucking University of Washington can do to have a prayer in the future of keeping a top-100 kid who lives five miles from campus from losing 20 pounds and moving to Columbus, Ohio to be closer to home.

I didn't realize how close I was to the edge, but I'm right there with @MikeDamone and @TommySQC: I already don't watch the NFL, and I can not watch college football as well if it's just going to be another NFL only without the parity.
    This belongs on the front page

In my opinion, college football was the greatest sport ever. Takes arguably the most exciting and complex team sport ever created and displays it at the perfect level: A high enough level that you're still watching freaks be freaks but not such a high level that you might as well be watching robots play. In college football, there is still big money and pressure on the line, but not so much that conservatism reigns. Every NFL team looks exactly like every other NFL team, to the point where a player can be traded and be starting for the new team a week later. Most football innovations start at the high school or college levels, usually out of necessity, as the playing field can be so tilted. There are years where OSU (west) or WSU are legit good, and that's amazing! Rivalries are regional and accessible. Players stay on the same team throughout their career--they choose their team just like the fan does, so they're more relatable and likeable than a pro mercenary.

The problem is that nearly all of these reasons that college football is great have either already been thrown in the trash or are about to be. The transfer portal has already brought free agency. (Hell, all the hand-wringing here over the total cuckery of wishing Oregon well in repping the north was closing the barn door after the horse was already out: Just the prior season, UW cried in a corner while watching Georgia fuck their girl, then took their sloppy seconds and let him start at quarterback. All for 8-5.) Now NIL is bringing the mercenary nature of the players into the light of day.

And this imbalance is tilting the playing field so far toward the haves that even the ingenuity and variety that used to keep the game interesting is no longer sufficient. You're not going to beat Alabama's 40 5-stars no matter how clever your scheme and no matter how much you care about the kids and develop them. Besides--you're just developing some portion of them so they can transfer to a lower school if they're impatient for playing time or a higher school if they were using you as a stepping stone to greater exposure in the SEC.

And then the final nail in the coffin: Traveling 3000 miles to take on a "conference rival," because that's all a "lowly" program like the fucking University of Washington can do to have a prayer in the future of keeping a top-100 kid who lives five miles from campus from losing 20 pounds and moving to Columbus, Ohio to be closer to home.

I didn't realize how close I was to the edge, but I'm right there with @MikeDamone and @TommySQC: I already don't watch the NFL, and I can not watch college football as well if it's just going to be another NFL only without the parity.
    This cannot be chinned enough. The CFP and players' rights has completely fucked this incredible sport.

CFB at its best has always been about the everyday fan, located in every corner of the country. Not in blowing the 100-200 players who, at any given time in their teens and 20s', actually have an NFL future.
    We will see how it plays out.

Bama was dominating even before players can get paid. Who knows, maybe the cash will bring more distractions?