Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Spring Game Overreaction Thread

1235»

Comments

• PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good post roadie. The point about failing against the blitz throughout Pete's time is a good one. It actually goes back farther than that but it was one thing that really stood out to me during the Pete years. There were so many times where I saw multiple blitzers run free with multiple blockers looking for someone to block.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

If Huff can’t get his group to he legitimately good (they should be dominant) then he can’t coach and should go.

We didn’t give up a sack last year tho, so I’m not reading too much into Spring Ball, especially since they rotate and had some injuries.

Yep. This o line should absolutely dominate based on experience and who is returning. If they don't, that's a huge issue. From reading practice reports, it sounds like Ale has been less than impressive
    When you know the plays as a defender, it’s really fucking easy. Same for DL going against Ale everyday and knowing what his weaknesses are.

A smart DT knows not to let him touch you because he’s too big and strong. The idiot, wannabe alpha males in the PAC 12 will meet him head on and get crushed. He will pancake the NT when he comes in to double team with Wattenberg.

With that said, we were fucking horrible when Pete was coach at picking up blitzers. OL play isn’t about just being good at blocking. Half of it is knowing who to block.

At tackle, on an island, you are normally blocking the outside pass rusher unless you are collapsing down or the defense does a stunt. At the interior positions, a lot of it is mental and being able to react quickly to different scenarios.

It’s easier than tackle a lot of times because you have more help, but a blitzer coming free in front of the QB’s face fucks a lot of QB’s up, even if it’s a quick throw. A blitzer free from the outside only causes problems when the QB doesn’t get the ball out quick, but it also is how most strip sacks from the blindside happen.

There are rules to a blocking scheme which is why the QB or C in the NFL always calls out who the Mike is.

Delayed blitzes are designed to take advantage of a defender coming free after the OL is occupied with other players because the blitz doesn’t come as the ball is being snapped.
    Further proving that Roadie, haie, Race, and @PostGameOrangeSlices are the best football minds on this site.
    Considering they are all the same person....agree
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited May 2021

If Huff can’t get his group to he legitimately good (they should be dominant) then he can’t coach and should go.

We didn’t give up a sack last year tho, so I’m not reading too much into Spring Ball, especially since they rotate and had some injuries.

Yep. This o line should absolutely dominate based on experience and who is returning. If they don't, that's a huge issue. From reading practice reports, it sounds like Ale has been less than impressive
    When you know the plays as a defender, it’s really fucking easy. Same for DL going against Ale everyday and knowing what his weaknesses are.

A smart DT knows not to let him touch you because he’s too big and strong. The idiot, wannabe alpha males in the PAC 12 will meet him head on and get crushed. He will pancake the NT when he comes in to double team with Wattenberg.

With that said, we were fucking horrible when Pete was coach at picking up blitzers. OL play isn’t about just being good at blocking. Half of it is knowing who to block.

At tackle, on an island, you are normally blocking the outside pass rusher unless you are collapsing down or the defense does a stunt. At the interior positions, a lot of it is mental and being able to react quickly to different scenarios.

It’s easier than tackle a lot of times because you have more help, but a blitzer coming free in front of the QB’s face fucks a lot of QB’s up, even if it’s a quick throw. A blitzer free from the outside only causes problems when the QB doesn’t get the ball out quick, but it also is how most strip sacks from the blindside happen.

There are rules to a blocking scheme which is why the QB or C in the NFL always calls out who the Mike is.

Delayed blitzes are designed to take advantage of a defender coming free after the OL is occupied with other players because the blitz doesn’t come as the ball is being snapped.
    Further proving that Roadie, haie, Race, and @PostGameOrangeSlices are the best football minds on this site.
    The four horsemen of reality
    Swaye's Wigwam

After watching the spring highlights someone posted, all 5 of the first 5 running backs look good. Which honestly is a fucking problem...

We need a back that can be featured and spelled by McGrew (solid at what he does but not a bell cow). I think Newton has proved the most, Davis could be the guy if given more touches...Pleasant is decent, Sunday runs hard....

It's a fucking mess actually

This is all true.

Even a blind squirrel...well, you know how it goes.
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

After watching the spring highlights someone posted, all 5 of the first 5 running backs look good. Which honestly is a fucking problem...

We need a back that can be featured and spelled by McGrew (solid at what he does but not a bell cow). I think Newton has proved the most, Davis could be the guy if given more touches...Pleasant is decent, Sunday runs hard....

This is all true.

Chuck?

I'm always right 81% of the time
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

This is all true.

Chuck?

I just want to see enough of Davis to see for myself. I agree the others are all good. Sunday looks a lot quicker than I expected and kind of looks like a bowling ball. I might have been off by a mile on him.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021
    chuck said:

chuck said:

This is all true.

Chuck?

I just want to see enough of Davis to see for myself. I agree the others are all good. Sunday looks a lot quicker than I expected and kind of looks like a bowling ball. I might have been off by a mile on him.
    Newton's ability to get to the second level in an instant against a front that didn't break down, I didn't see it from the other backs, but it was just one scrimmage.

But then you look at him, when healthy, the last 2 seasons. Stanford 2019, Arizona 2020.

I think he should be 1, Davis/Sunday 2.

I don't know what to do with McGrew at this point. He's useful in situations but you're tipping your hand with him.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I watched some of the festivities off DVR in and out a nap today. Dammit, Trice did kinda stand out.

I didn’t expect it, but the quote about him being potentially better than Tryon maybe wasn’t so far fetched. I’m excited to see him in a real game.
    Founders Club
    edited May 2021
    haie said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

This is all true.

Chuck?

Newton's ability to get to the second level in an instant against a front that didn't break down, I didn't see it from the other backs, but it was just one scrimmage.

But then you look at him, when healthy, the last 2 seasons. Stanford 2019, Arizona 2020.

I think he should be 1, Davis/Sunday 2.

I don't know what to do with McGrew at this point. He's useful in situations but you're tipping your hand with him.
    Agree with this and your last point is a really good one. He could come in as a slot with another back out there. He can actually catch way better than Chico. Just dont telegraph the fucking end around sweep with him
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I watched the 20 minute highlight reel, and didn't McGrew have the longest run? Like he always seems to. For all the shit he gets, he seems to be the back who most consistently finds the right gap to run through. He exploded through that hole pretty well, too. Downside is lack of size, so if he's caught before he builds speed, it's instantly down. I don't see why he's a giveaway in the backfield either. Having somebody who can run and catch is just as two dimensional as having somebody who can run and block. Newton, Sunday, and Pleasant all seem pretty interchangeable, with Sunday having the best hands of the three by far. One of the BallzBigBacks with McGrew as change of pace wouldn't be terrible. Davis might be good, too, but I'm not sure I saw him once in the highlight reel. Small sample size, though.

Otton is ridiculous. I did not think it possible that he could get even better.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

I watched the 20 minute highlight reel, and didn't McGrew have the longest run? Like he always seems to. For all the shit he gets, he seems to be the back who most consistently finds the right gap to run through. He exploded through that hole pretty well, too. Downside is lack of size, so if he's caught before he builds speed, it's instantly down. I don't see why he's a giveaway in the backfield either. Having somebody who can run and catch is just as two dimensional as having somebody who can run and block. Newton, Sunday, and Pleasant all seem pretty interchangeable, with Sunday having the best hands of the three by far. One of the BallzBigBacks with McGrew as change of pace wouldn't be terrible. Davis might be good, too, but I'm not sure I saw him once in the highlight reel. Small sample size, though.

My Little Sean went untouched on every single kickoff he laid his tiny little hands on. He's that good.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam

...Newton, Sunday, and Pleasant all seem pretty interchangeable, with Sunday having the best hands of the three by far....

I think it goes without saying that this was a brain malfunction, and I meant Pleasant.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

McGrew is a good player. He does have a low ceiling tho. He’s really not that fast like he was expected to be when he committed. He’s a shifty back with pretty good vision. He does deserve a roll.

I’m a production guy, but Davis, Newton, or Sunday need to get a chance to be the guy. We need someone to be the guy. Rotating two backs with a third playing a bit role is fine, but scattering carries to 4 or 5 guys doesn’t work.

Players get better when they gain confidence and not letting any of them have a real rhythm and constantly looking over their shoulder hurts the run game. What’s even crazier is the guys buried on the bench often run angrier and better when they do get a chance vs when they get their 6-8 carries every game.