Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

RIP Gains

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021
    FireCohen said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

It will likely kill the market this year, as the wealthy will pull out as much money as they can so they can enjoy 20% rates on capital gains this year. After the sell off, things will slowly increase again, but there will not be a huge rally by any means, until they get a new president in office.

Back to green today. There are some absolute amateurs on here
    Last time I checked it hasn't passed the "I want to do this" stage. So no, this drop was purely on the news. But if it gets traction, you bet your ass the markets will tank. Hopefully, somebody is advising this moron, and told him that one little comment dropped the DOW 400 points, and that maybe he should reconsider his position.
    Lol. You have no grasp of algorithmic trading and how it works.

Was a cool board. Too bad poors had to come shit all over the place with their cult nonsense
    Algorithmic trading is a fancy phrase for saying "Buy the dip, dumbass"
    Hey now, this is the gentle board. We don’t call each other names. That’s for the TUG
    I wasn’t calling him a dumbass. I was saying, when you reference algorithmic trading, you are saying “buy the dip dumbass”. It’s not referencing him, but just the general term.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,808
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

It will likely kill the market this year, as the wealthy will pull out as much money as they can so they can enjoy 20% rates on capital gains this year. After the sell off, things will slowly increase again, but there will not be a huge rally by any means, until they get a new president in office.

Back to green today. There are some absolute amateurs on here
    Last time I checked it hasn't passed the "I want to do this" stage. So no, this drop was purely on the news. But if it gets traction, you bet your ass the markets will tank. Hopefully, somebody is advising this moron, and told him that one little comment dropped the DOW 400 points, and that maybe he should reconsider his position.
    Lol. You have no grasp of algorithmic trading and how it works.

Was a cool board. Too bad poors had to come shit all over the place with their cult nonsense
    Algorithmic trading is a fancy phrase for saying "Buy the dip, dumbass"
    Hey now, this is the gentle board. We don’t call each other names. That’s for the TUG
    I wasn’t calling him a dumbass. I was saying, when you reference algorithmic trading, you are saying “buy the dip dumbass”. It’s not referencing him, but just the general term.
    Imagine thinking it's this simple
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

As a response to proposed tax law changes and a bunch of other nonsense going on in this country I came to a point where I felt compelled to examine some potential changes.
    Last week I retained a professional to explore a change of domicile.
    Turns out I have a lot of company.

Where would you go that is low tax and also reasonably safe?
    That's why I hired a pro.
    I spend a fair amount of time in Panama. I never explored long-term residency there but I really like it.
    The answer may be to live in another state.
    What my 20 year old kid does is a big factor.
    I don't feel that I know all the questions to ask at this point.
    The internet and easy air travel have changed this proposition a great deal.
    Panama is interesting. A lot of wealth there. I've liked Panama City when I stopped there a couple times on the way to and from the Caribbean. Still, it's Central America and would give me pause about a long term move.

Also, if tax related, are you planning on giving up US citizenship or just structuring things in a way that reduces taxes?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

As a response to proposed tax law changes and a bunch of other nonsense going on in this country I came to a point where I felt compelled to examine some potential changes.

I spend a fair amount of time in Panama. I never explored long-term residency there but I really like it.
    Panama is interesting. A lot of wealth there. I've liked Panama City when I stopped there a couple times on the way to and from the Caribbean. Still, it's Central America and would give me pause about a long term move.

Also, if tax related, are you planning on giving up US citizenship or just structuring things in a way that reduces taxes?
    Never been but always wanted to. Agreed re Central America.

What about Ole' Mejico???
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,538
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I would live in Israel before anywhere south of the US border, if that says anything about my perception of being an American in a foreign land.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I would live in Israel before anywhere south of the US border, if that says anything about my perception of being an American in a foreign land.

Europe or the Caribbean for me. And yes, I realize Europe wouldn't help the tax or crazy government situation. But in terms of where else I'd go, it's basically those two.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd like my own island in the Mediterranean off of Greece

Greece is a dumpster fire but still
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Hey listen up. There is no tax rate in my sock drawer. VICTORY!

How many strap ons in your sock drawer?
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Can’t you just move back to the rez and avoid taxes? Sort of an honest question.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

How many strap ons in your sock drawer?
    ALL OF THEM
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    USMChawk said:

Swaye said:

Can’t you just move back to the rez and avoid taxes? Sort of an honest question.
    Yeah but hard to be a watch baller on the res with no jerbs.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,514
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Not sure on any details.
    I do own a home in Panama.
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322

Israel is pretty high tax though. I love Israel, have family there and would consider living there but I'm not sure it's really a solution to high taxes. Tel Aviv would be an awesome city to live in regardless. I've been thinking about buying some property there.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2021
    Blu82 said:

ntxduck said:

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Nothing bad has ever happened to a UW grad with money who moved to Central America

https://californiainnocenceproject.org/read-their-stories/jason-puracal/
    Thankfully, I'm not a UW grad.
    I would be worried, otherwise.
    Then why does Central America especially hate UW grads?

J?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,890

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Never been but always wanted to. Agreed re Central America.

What about Ole' Mejico???
    Costa Rica >>>> Mexico.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I believe they are referred to as gainz
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,315
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Can I answer the question with a question?

The attitude that restructuring the tax code to penalize capital gains above a million dollars would disincentivize or otherwise impair growth and investment implies that most here believe that taxation policies are a powerful tool for shaping collective behavior. So why are so many of you seemingly more concerned about a proposed capital gains tax increase than you are that an income tax even exists at all?

As a percentage of federal receipts, corporate tax is way lower than individual, and individual capital gains is like a tenth of all individual tax (income). Seems to me that we've managed to create a tax code that simultaneously discourages labor while turbocharging inequality. I don't know what the answer to that is, but it seems the tax code should encourage work, not punish it. It should discourage hoarding, not incentivize it. It should encourage reinvestment and not amassing piles of imaginary money.

I think a simple concept that often gets ignored in discussing tax policy is that--one way or another--the government has to raise a certain amount of money to fund itself through taxation. Last I looked, I vaguely recall it being in the $2.7 trillion dollar range, but that was some time ago. There's no magic free stuff, so that money has to come from somewhere, eventually. So the choice is either tax the poor and middle class more, tax the wealthy more, tax corporations more, tax capital gains more, tax wealth... or continue to rack up debt and print money? So which is it going to be?
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For me. this sadly is another example of class warfare where America (or at least 40% of it) want to stick it to the evil rich and the #robinhood mindset that so many in our country want to have.

If this goes thru, two things happen #1) the millionaires that are effected the most hire more/better accountants and tax attorneys to find ways around this and just like the ATM as time goes on, the threshold continues to decline so more people have to pay it.

As someone said earlier 10% of the people pay 90% of income taxes and upwards of 50% of Americans pay no income tax. Exhibit 1,023,843 of why this is broke.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,890
    edited April 2021
    godawgst said:

For me. this sadly is another example of class warfare where America (or at least 40% of it) want to stick it to the evil rich and the #robinhood mindset that so many in our country want to have.

If this goes thru, two things happen #1) the millionaires that are effected the most hire more/better accountants and tax attorneys to find ways around this and just like the ATM as time goes on, the threshold continues to decline so more people have to pay it.

As someone said earlier 10% of the people pay 90% of income taxes and upwards of 50% of Americans pay no income tax. Exhibit 1,023,843 of why this is broke.

What these dumb motherfuckers don't understand it that the 'sorta' rich - the ones over $400K/year but not with fuck you money stored up - are the ones who provided a massive amount of jobs in small- and medium- businesses. They'll start downsizing or replacing older workers with younger, cheaper workers.

You know who does understand that? The mega-corporations. They can withstand a couple years' hit to earnings to put a dent in small business. Like all things coming from the leftists, it won't end well. They'll hurt the very people they think they are helping.'