Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

RIP Gains

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Not going to happen
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,201
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Capital is taxed too low relative to labor and too low if you think increasing inequality of wealth is a problem. It has been that way for decades.

I don't really think the proposal is doing anything but putting the subject of raising the rates on the table. Capital gains aren't going to go to 43%. It wouldn't be fatal to investing or the economy if they did, but it's not happening. No one has proposed a confiscatory tax rate on gains.

If a rate increase is made, there will be a rush to get sales in under the wire and transactions will then slow for a period of months after the change takes effect. That slowing will be short lived. People will invest if the rate is 15%. They'll invest if it's 43%. And they'll invest everywhere in between.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021
    ntxduck said:

It will likely kill the market this year, as the wealthy will pull out as much money as they can so they can enjoy 20% rates on capital gains this year. After the sell off, things will slowly increase again, but there will not be a huge rally by any means, until they get a new president in office.

Back to green today. There are some absolute amateurs on here
    Last time I checked it hasn't passed the "I want to do this" stage. So no, this drop was purely on the news. But if it gets traction, you bet your ass the markets will tank. Hopefully, somebody is advising this moron, and told him that one little comment dropped the DOW 400 points, and that maybe he should reconsider his position.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

ntxduck said:

It will likely kill the market this year, as the wealthy will pull out as much money as they can so they can enjoy 20% rates on capital gains this year. After the sell off, things will slowly increase again, but there will not be a huge rally by any means, until they get a new president in office.

Last time I checked it hasn't passed the "I want to do this" stage. So no, this drop was purely on the news. But if it gets traction, you bet your ass the markets will tank. Hopefully, somebody is advising this moron, and told him that one little comment dropped the DOW 400 points, and that maybe he should reconsider his position.
    I'm hearing that the stock market is not the economy.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2021

ntxduck said:

Lol. You have no grasp of algorithmic trading and how it works.

Was a cool board. Too bad poors had to come shit all over the place with their cult nonsense
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

ntxduck said:

I'm hearing that the stock market is not the economy.
    You hear right.

But the capital gains tax isn't the economy. It's the cost of doing bidness in the market meng. Pay attention and please put on your blazer. You're in the Club damnit!
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Was a cool board. Too bad poors had to come shit all over the place with their cult nonsense
    Hey now.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Algorithmic trading is a fancy phrase for saying "Buy the dip, dumbass"
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,585
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    This is a high price to pay for the attractive liquidity that the equity markets offer, and this proposal materially changes the risk reward relationship for owning securities in a profound way. What this means is that wealthy people will shift their focus to longer cycle assets and income producing assets over time because after tax is the bottom line. Its a terribly short sighted proposal because it will create a liquidity crash, especially in the tech industries and high growth asset markets. This proposal will mean that wealthy individuals will restructure personal assets into corporate assets to create a series of entities that collectively have a lower net tax rate. Fking Dumb.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,462
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think it would not be helpful to real estate investment that is holding up the house of cards either.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    exactly race... or the sale of a business that you have spent your lifetime creating... this is such bullshit.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,512
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    As a response to proposed tax law changes and a bunch of other nonsense going on in this country I came to a point where I felt compelled to examine some potential changes.
    Last week I retained a professional to explore a change of domicile.
    Turns out I have a lot of company.
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Blu82 said:

As a response to proposed tax law changes and a bunch of other nonsense going on in this country I came to a point where I felt compelled to examine some potential changes.

Where would you go that is low tax and also reasonably safe?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Algorithmic trading is a fancy phrase for saying "Buy the dip, dumbass"
    Hey now, this is the gentle board. We don’t call each other names. That’s for the TUG
  • Options

Blu82 said:

That's why I hired a pro.
    I spend a fair amount of time in Panama. I never explored long-term residency there but I really like it.
    The answer may be to live in another state.
    What my 20 year old kid does is a big factor.
    I don't feel that I know all the questions to ask at this point.
    The internet and easy air travel have changed this proposition a great deal.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Many Central America countries provide easy citizenship with minimal investment... getting out of the us depends on net worth so how you structure you assets turns out to be important
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Transfer net worth to a corporation to get under the minimum
  • Options

This is a high price to pay for the attractive liquidity that the equity markets offer, and this proposal materially changes the risk reward relationship for owning securities in a profound way. What this means is that wealthy people will shift their focus to longer cycle assets and income producing assets over time because after tax is the bottom line. Its a terribly short sighted proposal because it will create a liquidity crash, especially in the tech industries and high growth asset markets. This proposal will mean that wealthy individuals will restructure personal assets into corporate assets to create a series of entities that collectively have a lower net tax rate. Fking Dumb.

Yeah, for sure. Growth would take it in the shorts in a bad way.

I'm on team "won't happen". But I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

I spend a fair amount of time in Panama. I never explored long-term residency there but I really like it.
    Nothing bad has ever happened to a UW grad with money who moved to Central America

https://californiainnocenceproject.org/read-their-stories/jason-puracal/
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

Blu82 said:

Blu82 said:

Nothing bad has ever happened to a UW grad with money who moved to Central America

https://californiainnocenceproject.org/read-their-stories/jason-puracal/
    Thankfully, I'm not a UW grad.
    I would be worried, otherwise.