Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hugh on with Softy yesterday after 2nd practice

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021

Anyone comparing Huard to Browning hasn't watched a single throw of his. The bust outcome is always an option, but as a prospect his arm is nothing like Browning's. Some might even say night and day.

I've seen lots of Sam. Live. In HS and 7 v. 7. Anyone who doesn't think Alexander, Tinae, Troy Franklin, J. Johnson and Egbuka don't play a major role in the hype are fooling themselves. HS football is littered with limp arm QBs. Only one amassed 229 passing TDs. 91 in his senior year. 4 year starter at Washington. Broke all the all time records. This bored hated him. You've bought the hype if you can't see the comparison. Arm: Skinny>Sam>Browning. Jeff Lindquist and Jack Locker could rip it.

Husky nation has Savior Sam delivering them back to Pasadena. More than a few have UW back in the semis. Twice if he doesn't leave early. Hype.

I like Sam. His dad is a swell guy (he is). Sam is a maybe until he isn't.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,041
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tui didn't have a cannon for an arm, by the way.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    To the points @Baseman is making

You can see the arm talent with Sam ... he’s very polished for his age

The arc that he throws the deep ball is tremendous ... it’s hard to describe but it comes in like it’s coming down through a chute instead of it being driven

That said literally every single deep ball I saw him throw Saturday was overthrown ... remind anybody of things being said last year about Morris

Sam definitely will be a very good starter in time. Morris will be the starter in the immediate term. O’Brien is far from a zero and ideally is the backup this year allowing Sam to RS.

Getting back to the CFP is about the rest of the roster as much as it is the QB position
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,543
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021
    If Morris wins the starting job more power to him, when we? are 6-0 half way thru the season I will be one happy camper. 12-0 I will have had a heart attack and more than likely dead - lipo

yes I had to edit this twice
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

Anyone comparing Huard to Browning hasn't watched a single throw of his. The bust outcome is always an option, but as a prospect his arm is nothing like Browning's. Some might even say night and day.

I've seen lots of Sam. Live. In HS and 7 v. 7. Anyone who doesn't think Alexander, Tinae, Troy Franklin, J. Johnson and Egbuka don't play a major role in the hype are fooling themselves. HS football is littered with limp arm QBs. Only one amassed 229 passing TDs. 91 in his senior year. 4 year starter at Washington. Broke all the all time records. This bored hated him. You've bought the hype if you can't see the comparison. Arm: Skinny>Sam>Browning. Jeff Lindquist and Jack Locker could rip it.

Husky nation has Savior Sam delivering them back to Pasadena. More than a few have UW back in the semis. Twice if he doesn't leave early. Hype.

Sure. Eason to Huard would be a better comp then. So would Lindquist if you really want to stretch it. But the Huard-Browning comp ends the second you roll the tape.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Baseman said:

Baseman trying to cram his boy Skinny into the conversation again. With that arm and that “it” how could he ever have gone wrong.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708

@1to392831weretaken could be an ELITE poster here with a better username.

I mean...the creepy pic, the no-nonsense pragmatism. He’s got all the other tools, but the name is a real Donovan.

What could he do all the good numbers were taken.
  • Options

Baseman said:

Baseman trying to cram his boy Skinny into the conversation again. With that arm and that “it” how could he ever have gone wrong.
    And Skinny had the big arm and let you down. Thanks for making my point
  • Options

godawgst said:

Baseman said:

Did anybody outside of OP actually listen to the Softy/Cleeland/Millen interview? I gave it a listen today on the way to the STD clinic, and I didn't get any of the vitriol that was claimed. Millen watched the second or third practice of spring. He said the defense dominated and the passing game couldn't complete anything more than 10 yards downfield. It's not like that's something that's subjective, and one of our own who was apparently there confirmed it. He even couched it in terms of (paraphrasing), "It's the old cliche that the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point."

He said the defense was throwing everything at the offense, corner blitzes and all, and doing that sort of thing in the first couple of days of spring is indicative of having a defensive minded head coach vs. one that came from the offensive side of the ball, implying that the offense is playing with the board tilted against them at this early juncture. I'm trying to remember if he said it in a way that was overtly critical, but I don't remember it being that way.

He didn't even bring up the quarterbacks, he was asked. He had nothing bad to say about any of them. He said Morris has "the most live arm" and complimented him on a 10 yard out from the far hash that the CB thought he could jump but the ball got there too quick. He said that he'd have to scout the transfer more to see if he could make that throw, but at this point he'd say Morris has the strongest arm, then the other guy, then Huard. When asked specifically about Huard, he said he's a high school quarterback that's still adjusting to the college game. Yeah, no shit. That's not a put-down, and it seems to follow along with other reports. Also, he never said anything about any of the quarterback's inability to evade the rush. He said not to sleep on the transfer from CSU. Said he was recruited to Nebraska by Reilly, but Frost came in and wanted a running quarterback, and that's not this guy's game. Which brought up the question of running quarterbacks. Millen's take on it is that if you're a guy who does "quarterbacking" perfectly, which he described as manipulating the defense with your eyes, making quick reads and decisions, throwing with great timing and anticipation, you don't necessarily have to be some freak running athlete, but in the modern game, the ability to pull the ball down and run when the play breaks down is how to work around not having the rare quarterback who excels at all of those things. He said he puts all three of the quarterbacks in about the 4.9 speed range, so not exactly Michael Vick, so the rest of their game will have to be really good for them to exceed.

When asked what his biggest concern on the team is, he said by far he's concerned with the receiver group. He said that of the five aspects of football (passing offense, rushing offense, passing defense, rushing defense, kicking), the passing offense is the furthest behind. You know, like it's been for the last three or four years, so why's he wrong? He even agreed when it was pointed out that this is the most inexperienced facet of the team.

That was pretty much it. If anything, Millen really didn't say a whole hell of a lot and seemed to be going out of his way to not commit to a real opinion or put anybody specific down. I haven't watched a practice this spring, but I watched four games a few months ago, and I didn't hear a single thing he said in that interview that I disagreed with or found surprising or overly antagonistic. He may or may not be butthurt about his son, but I'd look elsewhere for evidence of that. "A kid two weeks removed from high school ball looks like a freshman" isn't that smoking gun...

I didn't listen. From what you posted, Hugh thinks QB's that can run help. They do. We all know that that. 1,000 yard rushers that can actually throw are rare tho.

Morris didn't get sacked last year in four games. He ran out of bounds once. The way he moved in the pocket was probably the best trait I saw last year. Pocket presence is more important than running. Eason was an archaic Brock Heard type that actually hampered our offense despite his "arm talent."

Morris can move. Sam Huard is far from a stiff. I never watched Hugh because I wasn't born, but this seems like him putting his own insecurities on the guys now. Both are a lot better than Locker. Neitgert one will ever throw for less than 100 yards, let along four times their senior year One of these two will be good, even with Donovan. Don't get caught up in the bullshit practice reports. Morris was pretty good last year as a freshman. He's likely goopdf and he certainly doesn't suck. If Huard starts, he earned it. O'Brien might as well not even exist. This isn't doogman.
    A QB that can extend plays two to four times a game a game keeps a defense honest and can get the offense an extra first down, maybe two a game. It doesn't sound like a lot but makes a huge difference. Net of sacks this is probably 200 - 300 yards rushing for the season.

If Morris can do that, complete 65% of his passes and doesn't turn the ball over (red flag) the offense is in good shape.

Nobody said Sam is a stiff but he doesn't fit the above criteria and doesn't have Morris' mobility. He's a good prospect and a big get but he's not the Doog savior many make him out to be. Alexander and Tinae inflated his production in a weak league. Lol at the TBS's who hated Browning but worship Sam. Browning threw 229 TDs in HS (91 in his senior year) and completed 70% of his passes. Like, Sam his numbers were inflated by the good players around him.

Count me in on this. There are 25 plus D1 high school guys that put up video game/7 on 7 numbers every year mostly b/c of talent mismatches, and qb's ability to wait until his wr is completely open until he gets rid of it.

If Sam Huard was names Sam Hurd out of wherever United States, many on this board would be pitchforking JL for brining in Morris/Haener/Browning part 2 in terms of his physical measurables.
    No they wouldn’t. He’s a five star recruit. I agree with some of your points and he hasn’t done shit, but he would be a great prospect for any team in college football. 90% of them would take Sam over their QB commit from the same class.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

The arc that he throws the deep ball is tremendous ... it’s hard to describe but it comes in like it’s coming down through a chute instead of it being driven

That said literally every single deep ball I saw him throw Saturday was overthrown ... remind anybody of things being said last year about Morris

Sam definitely will be a very good starter in time. Morris will be the starter in the immediate term. O’Brien is far from a zero and ideally is the backup this year allowing Sam to RS.

Getting back to the CFP is about the rest of the roster as much as it is the QB position

Big difference lollipoping the deep ball against Federal Way DBs than a UW DB. That's a sign of a freshman realizing he's not in Kansas anymore. That's what spring ball is for. Shells and shorts.

Gatorade All American Billy Joe struggled bad for 2 years then he didn't. People forget the classy Nebraska fans applauded Billy Joe for sodomizing their lads. Not saying Sam will be Billy Joe so don't twist
    No question

It’s one of the reasons I didn’t really buy the belly aching last year with Morris over throwing the deep ball ... job 1 is don’t turn the ball over. In time you’ll get the nuance and timing about putting proper air, throwing on time to spots, etc

I wasn’t saying what I was saying about Sam to bash him in any way ... it was much more calling out this is typically an issue for all young QBs
  • Options

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Big difference lollipoping the deep ball against Federal Way DBs than a UW DB. That's a sign of a freshman realizing he's not in Kansas anymore. That's what spring ball is for. Shells and shorts.

Gatorade All American Billy Joe struggled bad for 2 years then he didn't. People forget the classy Nebraska fans applauded Billy Joe for sodomizing their lads. Not saying Sam will be Billy Joe so don't twist
    Billy Joe didn't do practice

But he was the gamer of all time
    Would’ve never played for Petersen
  • Options
    MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 920

Did anybody outside of OP actually listen to the Softy/Cleeland/Millen interview? I gave it a listen today on the way to the STD clinic, and I didn't get any of the vitriol that was claimed. Millen watched the second or third practice of spring. He said the defense dominated and the passing game couldn't complete anything more than 10 yards downfield. It's not like that's something that's subjective, and one of our own who was apparently there confirmed it. He even couched it in terms of (paraphrasing), "It's the old cliche that the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point."

He said the defense was throwing everything at the offense, corner blitzes and all, and doing that sort of thing in the first couple of days of spring is indicative of having a defensive minded head coach vs. one that came from the offensive side of the ball, implying that the offense is playing with the board tilted against them at this early juncture. I'm trying to remember if he said it in a way that was overtly critical, but I don't remember it being that way.

He didn't even bring up the quarterbacks, he was asked. He had nothing bad to say about any of them. He said Morris has "the most live arm" and complimented him on a 10 yard out from the far hash that the CB thought he could jump but the ball got there too quick. He said that he'd have to scout the transfer more to see if he could make that throw, but at this point he'd say Morris has the strongest arm, then the other guy, then Huard. When asked specifically about Huard, he said he's a high school quarterback that's still adjusting to the college game. Yeah, no shit. That's not a put-down, and it seems to follow along with other reports. Also, he never said anything about any of the quarterback's inability to evade the rush. He said not to sleep on the transfer from CSU. Said he was recruited to Nebraska by Reilly, but Frost came in and wanted a running quarterback, and that's not this guy's game. Which brought up the question of running quarterbacks. Millen's take on it is that if you're a guy who does "quarterbacking" perfectly, which he described as manipulating the defense with your eyes, making quick reads and decisions, throwing with great timing and anticipation, you don't necessarily have to be some freak running athlete, but in the modern game, the ability to pull the ball down and run when the play breaks down is how to work around not having the rare quarterback who excels at all of those things. He said he puts all three of the quarterbacks in about the 4.9 speed range, so not exactly Michael Vick, so the rest of their game will have to be really good for them to exceed.

When asked what his biggest concern on the team is, he said by far he's concerned with the receiver group. He said that of the five aspects of football (passing offense, rushing offense, passing defense, rushing defense, kicking), the passing offense is the furthest behind. You know, like it's been for the last three or four years, so why's he wrong? He even agreed when it was pointed out that this is the most inexperienced facet of the team.

That was pretty much it. If anything, Millen really didn't say a whole hell of a lot and seemed to be going out of his way to not commit to a real opinion or put anybody specific down. I haven't watched a practice this spring, but I watched four games a few months ago, and I didn't hear a single thing he said in that interview that I disagreed with or found surprising or overly antagonistic. He may or may not be butthurt about his son, but I'd look elsewhere for evidence of that. "A kid two weeks removed from high school ball looks like a freshman" isn't that smoking gun...

Some people just want to hate on hugh. To each their own.
    It isn't about hating Hugh.

It's about questioning his expertise on CFB issues and analysis when he pouted for two years after UW coaches decided his kid wasn't a P5 caliber QB.

And now Oregon has concluded the same thing.

• Options

He played faster than he was
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Sure. Eason to Huard would be a better comp then. So would Lindquist if you really want to stretch it. But the Huard-Browning comp ends the second you roll the tape.
    You have three quarterbacks:

1.) 6'3", 180 lb. pocket passer with good agility and escapability in the pocket. Insanely accurate up to 40 yards downfield, touch passer, uses placement instead of velocity, about 50 yard range as the crow flies.

2.) 6'2", 175 lb. pocket passer with good agility and escapability in the pocket. Insanely accurate up to 45 yards downfield, touch passer, uses placement and arc over velocity, between 55 and 60 yard range as the crow flies.

3.) 6'6", 220 lb. pocket passer who's an absolute statue. Canon for an arm. Throws with one speed and that speed is "yes." Somewhat accurate, decreasingly so downfield, unless throwing a 50 yard rope. Infinity yard range as the crow flies.

One of these things is not like the other. Huard's game/feet/frame are way more similar to Browning's than Eason's. He is Browning out of high school with a stronger arm. He is Morris with a bit less arm and more accuracy. Eason? He's nothing like Eason. And Lindquist? Dafuq?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

1.) 6'3", 180 lb. pocket passer with good agility and escapability in the pocket. Insanely accurate up to 40 yards downfield, touch passer, uses placement instead of velocity, about 50 yard range as the crow flies.

2.) 6'2", 175 lb. pocket passer with good agility and escapability in the pocket. Insanely accurate up to 45 yards downfield, touch passer, uses placement and arc over velocity, between 55 and 60 yard range as the crow flies.

3.) 6'6", 220 lb. pocket passer who's an absolute statue. Canon for an arm. Throws with one speed and that speed is "yes." Somewhat accurate, decreasingly so downfield, unless throwing a 50 yard rope. Infinity yard range as the crow flies.

One of these things is not like the other. Huard's game/feet/frame are way more similar to Browning's than Eason's. He is Browning out of high school with a stronger arm. He is Morris with a bit less arm and more accuracy. Eason? He's nothing like Eason. And Lindquist? Dafuq?

dude what the fuck are you even trying to say at this point LOL
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2021

Something tells me if Donovan and Lake could get away with running the triple option they would. I feel like Donovan has watched a lot of Army/Navy games and took extensive notes.

I once caught a 30-minute training session where Tui was working with Rosen on his throwing motion at UCLA... oof.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Baseman said:

I don't think any of the comps are that useful. And I sure as fuck don't agree with any of your breakdown of Huard's game. If you think he has less arm than Morris then we're just at an impasse. Can't really argue with someone who sees blue when you look at red.