Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hugh on with Softy yesterday after 2nd practice

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Also confirmed how dominant the defense today was. A couple of troubling things I heard from him in his analysis.

In listening to his breakdown of the qb's (all 3) as of right now I think he believes their overall games are all jag's at best. Obviously not fair to Huard, but both him and Cam Cleeland have major concerns about any of the 3's ability to avoid pressure and extend plays which I 1000% agree with. It's those 3 +/- empty possessions a game that keeps your team scoring in the low/mid 20's which puts a ceiling on what you can do unless you make up for it (++ results) in other areas like turnovers.

Then in his breakdown of the wr's I got the impression as a group that so far what he's seen is not even at the qb's level. Saying they get no separation, no yac, not explosive, too many possession type guys, etc.

Also said the defense was and should be ahead of the offense, and defense was bringing blitzes which on day 2 might be a little unusual, and we all get how good Mcduffie is at cb, but he seems underwhelmed with the wr group right now.

If you heard the interview, anyone else pick up on anything both good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Corner blitzes on day 2? Bob Gregory special. That smacks of a coach trying to prove his worth.

As Hugh articulated, the offense takes time to get going. Completely expected. Jimmy needs to shut the blitz’s down. The Defense should start vanilla. DL shooting correct gaps, LB getting proper keys, DBs correct technique. On and on.

Another point, all 3 QBs lack the threat to extend plays. That’s an issue and makes it easier on the defense. Run the damn ball and immobile QBs will continue to stifle the offense. Not promising

Look at this guy taking Huge Mellon seriously
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Corner blitzes on day 2? Bob Gregory special. That smacks of a coach trying to prove his worth.

As Hugh articulated, the offense takes time to get going. Completely expected. Jimmy needs to shut the blitz’s down. The Defense should start vanilla. DL shooting correct gaps, LB getting proper keys, DBs correct technique. On and on.

Another point, all 3 QBs lack the threat to extend plays. That’s an issue and makes it easier on the defense. Run the damn ball and immobile QBs will continue to stifle the offense. Not promising

All points Ive made previously but thanks for caring
    I'm amazed you're not the coach of a d1 program where you can put the curb to corner blitzes!
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

All points Ive made previously but thanks for caring
    I'm amazed you're not the coach of a d1 program where you can put the curb to corner blitzes!
    I’m touched your amazed
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,496
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I guess we're in nearly year 10 of getting this same practice reporter and hoping it just means the defense is elite and the offense is at least average. Small and questionable sample size, but I was very impressed with how well Morris operated in the pocket last year, avoided pressure, and got yards with his feet when he needed to, including against Utah, which was about as good of a defense as you could find in the Pac-12 last year.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    godawgst said:

Also confirmed how dominant the defense today was. A couple of troubling things I heard from him in his analysis.

In listening to his breakdown of the qb's (all 3) as of right now I think he believes their overall games are all jag's at best. Obviously not fair to Huard, but both him and Cam Cleeland have major concerns about any of the 3's ability to avoid pressure and extend plays which I 1000% agree with. It's those 3 +/- empty possessions a game that keeps your team scoring in the low/mid 20's which puts a ceiling on what you can do unless you make up for it (++ results) in other areas like turnovers.

Then in his breakdown of the wr's I got the impression as a group that so far what he's seen is not even at the qb's level. Saying they get no separation, no yac, not explosive, too many possession type guys, etc.

Also said the defense was and should be ahead of the offense, and defense was bringing blitzes which on day 2 might be a little unusual, and we all get how good Mcduffie is at cb, but he seems underwhelmed with the wr group right now.

If you heard the interview, anyone else pick up on anything both good or bad?

• Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,970
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'm feeling pretty good about our QBs learning to handle pressure now that we have a defense that can put them under pressure in practice.