Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hugh on with Softy yesterday after 2nd practice

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Did anybody outside of OP actually listen to the Softy/Cleeland/Millen interview? I gave it a listen today on the way to the STD clinic, and I didn't get any of the vitriol that was claimed. Millen watched the second or third practice of spring. He said the defense dominated and the passing game couldn't complete anything more than 10 yards downfield. It's not like that's something that's subjective, and one of our own who was apparently there confirmed it. He even couched it in terms of (paraphrasing), "It's the old cliche that the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point."

He said the defense was throwing everything at the offense, corner blitzes and all, and doing that sort of thing in the first couple of days of spring is indicative of having a defensive minded head coach vs. one that came from the offensive side of the ball, implying that the offense is playing with the board tilted against them at this early juncture. I'm trying to remember if he said it in a way that was overtly critical, but I don't remember it being that way.

He didn't even bring up the quarterbacks, he was asked. He had nothing bad to say about any of them. He said Morris has "the most live arm" and complimented him on a 10 yard out from the far hash that the CB thought he could jump but the ball got there too quick. He said that he'd have to scout the transfer more to see if he could make that throw, but at this point he'd say Morris has the strongest arm, then the other guy, then Huard. When asked specifically about Huard, he said he's a high school quarterback that's still adjusting to the college game. Yeah, no shit. That's not a put-down, and it seems to follow along with other reports. Also, he never said anything about any of the quarterback's inability to evade the rush. He said not to sleep on the transfer from CSU. Said he was recruited to Nebraska by Reilly, but Frost came in and wanted a running quarterback, and that's not this guy's game. Which brought up the question of running quarterbacks. Millen's take on it is that if you're a guy who does "quarterbacking" perfectly, which he described as manipulating the defense with your eyes, making quick reads and decisions, throwing with great timing and anticipation, you don't necessarily have to be some freak running athlete, but in the modern game, the ability to pull the ball down and run when the play breaks down is how to work around not having the rare quarterback who excels at all of those things. He said he puts all three of the quarterbacks in about the 4.9 speed range, so not exactly Michael Vick, so the rest of their game will have to be really good for them to exceed.

When asked what his biggest concern on the team is, he said by far he's concerned with the receiver group. He said that of the five aspects of football (passing offense, rushing offense, passing defense, rushing defense, kicking), the passing offense is the furthest behind. You know, like it's been for the last three or four years, so why's he wrong? He even agreed when it was pointed out that this is the most inexperienced facet of the team.

That was pretty much it. If anything, Millen really didn't say a whole hell of a lot and seemed to be going out of his way to not commit to a real opinion or put anybody specific down. I haven't watched a practice this spring, but I watched four games a few months ago, and I didn't hear a single thing he said in that interview that I disagreed with or found surprising or overly antagonistic. He may or may not be butthurt about his son, but I'd look elsewhere for evidence of that. "A kid two weeks removed from high school ball looks like a freshman" isn't that smoking gun...

I didn't listen. From what you posted, Hugh thinks QB's that can run help. They do. We all know that that. 1,000 yard rushers that can actually throw are rare tho.

Morris didn't get sacked last year in four games. He ran out of bounds once. The way he moved in the pocket was probably the best trait I saw last year. Pocket presence is more important than running. Eason was an archaic Brock Heard type that actually hampered our offense despite his "arm talent."

Morris can move. Sam Huard is far from a stiff. I never watched Hugh because I wasn't born, but this seems like him putting his own insecurities on the guys now. Both are a lot better than Locker. Neitgert one will ever throw for less than 100 yards, let along four times their senior year One of these two will be good, even with Donovan. Don't get caught up in the bullshit practice reports. Morris was pretty good last year as a freshman. He's likely goopdf and he certainly doesn't suck. If Huard starts, he earned it. O'Brien might as well not even exist. This isn't doogman.
    This is kind of my point. Maybe listen before joining the pitchfork and torch crowd. He didn't insult Morris' pocket presence and movement. At all. To me, Morris' movement in the pocket is, to quote Fudgie, ELITE. There's nothing to knock there. I listened, and had that been knocked, I'd be agreeing with OP as well.

There's clearly an axe to grind here with Millen is all I'm saying. Maybe he deserves it, I don't know or care. The point is, I'm pretty sure exactly one person before me in this thread actually listened to what he said, heard things VERY differently than I did, and everyone else piled on.

It was a milquetoast interview. Nothing controversial. He didn't bash Huard at all. He didn't bash Morris. Ironically, Millen's the only negadawg on TV/radio. I've heard him be WAY more negative about the team/players/coaches before. This was mild. He did bash the receivers, but there are about five threads here doing likewise lately. He said none of the quarterbacks are Michael Vick or Trevor Lawrence or Marcus Mariota. And they're not.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Did anybody outside of OP actually listen to the Softy/Cleeland/Millen interview? I gave it a listen today on the way to the STD clinic, and I didn't get any of the vitriol that was claimed. Millen watched the second or third practice of spring. He said the defense dominated and the passing game couldn't complete anything more than 10 yards downfield. It's not like that's something that's subjective, and one of our own who was apparently there confirmed it. He even couched it in terms of (paraphrasing), "It's the old cliche that the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point."

He said the defense was throwing everything at the offense, corner blitzes and all, and doing that sort of thing in the first couple of days of spring is indicative of having a defensive minded head coach vs. one that came from the offensive side of the ball, implying that the offense is playing with the board tilted against them at this early juncture. I'm trying to remember if he said it in a way that was overtly critical, but I don't remember it being that way.

He didn't even bring up the quarterbacks, he was asked. He had nothing bad to say about any of them. He said Morris has "the most live arm" and complimented him on a 10 yard out from the far hash that the CB thought he could jump but the ball got there too quick. He said that he'd have to scout the transfer more to see if he could make that throw, but at this point he'd say Morris has the strongest arm, then the other guy, then Huard. When asked specifically about Huard, he said he's a high school quarterback that's still adjusting to the college game. Yeah, no shit. That's not a put-down, and it seems to follow along with other reports. Also, he never said anything about any of the quarterback's inability to evade the rush. He said not to sleep on the transfer from CSU. Said he was recruited to Nebraska by Reilly, but Frost came in and wanted a running quarterback, and that's not this guy's game. Which brought up the question of running quarterbacks. Millen's take on it is that if you're a guy who does "quarterbacking" perfectly, which he described as manipulating the defense with your eyes, making quick reads and decisions, throwing with great timing and anticipation, you don't necessarily have to be some freak running athlete, but in the modern game, the ability to pull the ball down and run when the play breaks down is how to work around not having the rare quarterback who excels at all of those things. He said he puts all three of the quarterbacks in about the 4.9 speed range, so not exactly Michael Vick, so the rest of their game will have to be really good for them to exceed.

When asked what his biggest concern on the team is, he said by far he's concerned with the receiver group. He said that of the five aspects of football (passing offense, rushing offense, passing defense, rushing defense, kicking), the passing offense is the furthest behind. You know, like it's been for the last three or four years, so why's he wrong? He even agreed when it was pointed out that this is the most inexperienced facet of the team.

That was pretty much it. If anything, Millen really didn't say a whole hell of a lot and seemed to be going out of his way to not commit to a real opinion or put anybody specific down. I haven't watched a practice this spring, but I watched four games a few months ago, and I didn't hear a single thing he said in that interview that I disagreed with or found surprising or overly antagonistic. He may or may not be butthurt about his son, but I'd look elsewhere for evidence of that. "A kid two weeks removed from high school ball looks like a freshman" isn't that smoking gun...

I didn't listen. From what you posted, Hugh thinks QB's that can run help. They do. We all know that that. 1,000 yard rushers that can actually throw are rare tho.

Morris didn't get sacked last year in four games. He ran out of bounds once. The way he moved in the pocket was probably the best trait I saw last year. Pocket presence is more important than running. Eason was an archaic Brock Heard type that actually hampered our offense despite his "arm talent."

Morris can move. Sam Huard is far from a stiff. I never watched Hugh because I wasn't born, but this seems like him putting his own insecurities on the guys now. Both are a lot better than Locker. Neitgert one will ever throw for less than 100 yards, let along four times their senior year One of these two will be good, even with Donovan. Don't get caught up in the bullshit practice reports. Morris was pretty good last year as a freshman. He's likely goopdf and he certainly doesn't suck. If Huard starts, he earned it. O'Brien might as well not even exist. This isn't doogman.
    This is kind of my point. Maybe listen before joining the pitchfork and torch crowd. He didn't insult Morris' pocket presence and movement. At all. To me, Morris' movement in the pocket is, to quote Fudgie, ELITE. There's nothing to knock there. I listened, and had that been knocked, I'd be agreeing with OP as well.

There's clearly an axe to grind here with Millen is all I'm saying. Maybe he deserves it, I don't know or care. The point is, I'm pretty sure exactly one person before me in this thread actually listened to what he said, heard things VERY differently than I did, and everyone else piled on.

It was a milquetoast interview. Nothing controversial. He didn't bash Huard at all. He didn't bash Morris. Ironically, Millen's the only negadawg on TV/radio. I've heard him be WAY more negative about the team/players/coaches before. This was mild. He did bash the receivers, but there are about five threads here doing likewise lately. He said none of the quarterbacks are Michael Vick or Trevor Lawrence or Marcus Mariota. And they're not.
    First it was ESPN, and now @1to392831weretaken
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,106
    @1to392831weretaken could be an ELITE poster here with a better username.

I mean...the creepy pic, the no-nonsense pragmatism. He’s got all the other tools, but the name is a real Donovan.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,982
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Some people just want to hate on hugh. To each their own.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@1to392831weretaken could be an ELITE poster here with a better username.

I mean...the creepy pic, the no-nonsense pragmatism. He’s got all the other tools, but the name is a real Donovan.

Fudgie ELITE?

Pass.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021

A QB that can extend plays two to four times a game a game keeps a defense honest and can get the offense an extra first down, maybe two a game. It doesn't sound like a lot but makes a huge difference. Net of sacks this is probably 200 - 300 yards rushing for the season.

If Morris can do that, complete 65% of his passes and doesn't turn the ball over (red flag) the offense is in good shape.

Nobody said Sam is a stiff but he doesn't fit the above criteria and doesn't have Morris' mobility. He's a good prospect and a big get but he's not the Doog savior many make him out to be. Alexander and Tinae inflated his production in a weak league. Lol at the TBS's who hated Browning but worship Sam. Browning threw 229 TDs in HS (91 in his senior year) and completed 70% of his passes. Like, Sam his numbers were inflated by the good players around him.

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,562
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Morris has big dick, game winning drive swag. Veins of ice swag

So far, Huard has 7 on 7 swag
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

A QB that can extend plays two to four times a game a game keeps a defense honest and can get the offense an extra first down, maybe two a game. It doesn't sound like a lot but makes a huge difference. Net of sacks this is probably 200 - 300 yards rushing for the season.

If Morris can do that, complete 65% of his passes and doesn't turn the ball over (red flag) the offense is in good shape.

Nobody said Sam is a stiff but he doesn't fit the above criteria and doesn't have Morris' mobility. He's a good prospect and a big get but he's not the Doog savior many make him out to be. Alexander and Tinae inflated his production in a weak league. Lol at the TBS's who hated Browning but worship Sam. Browning threw 229 TDs in HS (91 in his senior year) and completed 70% of his passes. Like, Sam his numbers were inflated by the good players around him.

Count me in on this. There are 25 plus D1 high school guys that put up video game/7 on 7 numbers every year mostly b/c of talent mismatches, and qb's ability to wait until his wr is completely open until he gets rid of it.

If Sam Huard was names Sam Hurd out of wherever United States, many on this board would be pitchforking JL for brining in Morris/Haener/Browning part 2 in terms of his physical measurables.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

I pointed out exactly this Browning comparison in another thread. The two are built very similarly, both had amazing touch and accuracy, both put up ridiculous numbers, etc. Browning's numbers were even more ridiculous, considering he never played in a fourth quarter his whole senior year, even the championship game. I think Huard's arm is slightly stronger than Browning's was pre-injury. To me, that's the only difference between the two.

That being said, I'll take Browning's sophomore production again any day.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Morris has big dick, game winning drive swag. Veins of heroin

So far, Huard has 7 on 7 swag

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Huard’s got a better arm than Browning at the same point
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,982
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If huard can handle pressure and not pee his pants in the defining moments he is gonna be good. He throws with touch and very accurately down field.

If he can’t he is similar to browning with a better arm and the qb savior search continues.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

That being said, I'll take Browning's sophomore year throwing to John Ross and Dante Pettis behind a line with Kaleb McGary and a healthy Trey Adams any day.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021
    Baseman said:

That being said, I'll take Browning's sophomore year throwing to John Ross and Dante Pettis behind a line with Kaleb McGary and a healthy Trey Adams any day.

270 lb. true freshman Nick Harris at right guard. Center at center. Also Center at left guard, as I can't remember who either of them were.

Tell 81% of the retards here this guy's a 5-star 2023 QB named Turd Furgusen who's leaning UW's way, and they cream their jeans: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1212916/5721b7c2041ddc1b0046342e

People forget Browning was REALLY fucking good in high school. His first two years at UW, too, IMO, before his shoulder got destroyed. His arm was never great, but it didn't start out as feeble as everyone makes it out to be. In that highlight reel--as a junior--you see him doing things I've yet to see from Huard, like evade a rush, throw on the run across his body, etc. I doubt I've ever seen a high school quarterback with a downfield accuracy body of film like Huard's, buttfuck if Browning's high school film isn't right fucking there. That very first throw is at least 50 through the air, and the receiver doesn't so much as slow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Quarterback is a crapshoot from high school to college. I've seen too many Jake Heaps/Max Browne situations in one direction or Sam Darnold stories in the other to buy into any quarterback recruit until they prove it on the field. Especially a Washington private school kid. It's not like those numbers came against the Trinity League.

At this point Morris is the starter, and I'm not as high on him as many here. I hope he improves his downfield accuracy and even takes some wobble off and improves the accuracy of his underneath stuff. His pocket awareness and presence is top tier, and he doesn't crumble under pressure. He needs to work on absolutely everything else, emphasis on accuracy. Big upgrade from his this season or I don't see the skwaad being any better than what we saw in 2020.

Internet tough guys like big dick quarterbacks with 4th quarter ice in their veins. I like production. I like quarterbacks who don't dig a massive hole against Utah and try desperately to throw four picks to a Stanford team that practiced at the Kirkland Denney's. Accuracy and decision making > arm strength any day.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,562
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

270 lb. true freshman Nick Harris at right guard. Center at center. Also Center at left guard, as I can't remember who either of them were.

Tell 81% of the retards here this guy's a 5-star 2023 QB named Turd Furgusen who's leaning UW's way, and they cream their jeans: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1212916/5721b7c2041ddc1b0046342e

People forget Browning was REALLY fucking good in high school. His first two years at UW, too, IMO, before his shoulder got destroyed. His arm was never great, but it didn't start out as feeble as everyone makes it out to be. In that highlight reel--as a junior--you see him doing things I've yet to see from Huard, like evade a rush, throw on the run across his body, etc. I doubt I've ever seen a high school quarterback with a downfield accuracy body of film like Huard's, buttfuck if Browning's high school film isn't right fucking there. That very first throw is at least 50 through the air, and the receiver doesn't so much as slow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Quarterback is a crapshoot from high school to college. I've seen too many Jake Heaps/Max Browne situations in one direction or Sam Darnold stories in the other to buy into any quarterback recruit until they prove it on the field. Especially a Washington private school kid. It's not like those numbers came against the Trinity League.

At this point Morris is the starter, and I'm not as high on him as many here. I hope he improves his downfield accuracy and even takes some wobble off and improves the accuracy of his underneath stuff. His pocket awareness and presence is top tier, and he doesn't crumble under pressure. He needs to work on absolutely everything else, emphasis on accuracy. Big upgrade from his this season or I don't see the skwaad being any better than what we saw in 2020.

Internet tough guys like big dick quarterbacks with 4th quarter ice in their veins. I like production. I like quarterbacks who don't dig a massive hole against Utah and try desperately to throw four picks to a Stanford team that practiced at the Kirkland Denney's. Accuracy and decision making > arm strength any day.

Yeah...Morris was the reason why we were down big to Utah and why we always get ASS FUCKED by fucking STANFORD

Fuck off
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Yeah...Morris was the reason why we were down big to Utah and why we always get ASS FUCKED by fucking STANFORD

Fuck off
    Internet tough guy heard from.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Fuck off
    And, no, the QB with the 66 QBR was not THE reason UW lost to homeless cosplay Stanford. But a QB with a 66 QBR is always A reason for such an outcome.

To be fair, though, I should make a correction: It wasn't Stanford intercepting Morris that led to that 66 QBR. It was a Utah DB who let a pass bounce right off his chest to prevent a fourth interception, thus keeping the QBR in that icewater/veins game up to a stratospheric 80. My bad.