Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vorel to Jen Cohen: "Is UW men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins’ job in jeopardy?"

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The more I see this thread in Recent Discussions, the more I get pissed off at the fact our? basketball programs are shit...and I normally don’t give a fuck about college ball until March.

I feel like the program (for both men and women) has so much potential if we? could just get some coaches with big sets of balls/ovaries.

Again, I hate UW athletics right now.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Wynn fired ... Jen did the easy part

Let’s see if she can make a reasonable hire
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

HireBRoy said:

Hire BRoy and ask questions later

Hire BRoy and don’t ask any questions.
    and give him these

• Options
    HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

was her husband really on staff? hahahahahahahahahahah
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,196
    HireBRoy said:

Tequilla said:

Yes, one of my pet peeves about women's basketball is that that's actually a thing, and we've done it twice now.

Mrs. Lake does not coach the tight ends.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

https://nauathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/loree-payne/281

NAU hadn't been remotely competitive for 10 years before she got there. And Rueck's success at OSU says that Northwest Conference experience can work out too.
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HireBRoy said:

Tequilla said:

TBF... UW hired the softball coach's husband as a bench coach despite the fact the HS baseball teams he coached were largely mediocre.

And they've always been really good.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Nick Holt's wife is a former head coach at the D-1 level (#myvandals). Long time ago but she was pretty hot then.

Just throwing out names.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

Isn't Hopkins' buyout $11 or $13 million until after the 2021 season? Seems like hitting the JC / transfer portal hard and changing a couple of assistants would be more likely than big hitter wallets stepping forward to help with the buy-out.

You'd think so given Jen's complete inaction. But it's way smaller than that - it moves from $6m to $3m at the end of this month. Small time bullshit.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

HFNY said:

Isn't Hopkins' buyout $11 or $13 million until after the 2021 season? Seems like hitting the JC / transfer portal hard and changing a couple of assistants would be more likely than big hitter wallets stepping forward to help with the buy-out.

You'd think so given Jen's complete inaction. But it's way smaller than that - it moves from $6m to $3m at the end of this month. Small time bullshit.
    Seriously? $3 million is nothing these days with coaching contracts. A pair of sold out games pays that buyout. At $3 million, you can't afford not to try something different to turn the program around.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

https://nauathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/loree-payne/281

NAU hadn't been remotely competitive for 10 years before she got there. And Rueck's success at OSU says that Northwest Conference experience can work out too.
    The fascination people have with making a hire because of someone being an alum blows my mind

There are definitely better candidates than Loree Payne
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

The fascination people have with making a hire because of someone being an alum blows my mind

Who did we lose Mike Neighbors to? His alma mater.

Who did we lose Kevin McGuff to? The big school in his home state.

Who did we lose Chris Gobrecht to? Her alma mater.

Loree Payne is an excellent coach who would be more likely to stay than someone who isn't an alum. My reasons for supporting her candidacy are greater than her being an alum, however. I watched her at UPS. I knew she was headed to the big leagues. When she's at Cal or Utah instead, you'll wish you could have a do over.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Just steal both the Cuog coaches.

• Options
    HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

Loree Payne is an excellent coach who would be more likely to stay than someone who isn't an alum. My reasons for supporting her candidacy are greater than her being an alum, however. I watched her at UPS. I knew she was headed to the big leagues. When she's at Cal or Utah instead, you'll wish you could have a do over.

So you want to hire someone where you can build in job security as a priority before knowing whether they are capable of doing the job

Hiring a good coach is the first part of the deal ...

Once you have one then your job is to retain ...

If someone leaves and you’re market competitive then you wish them good luck and make another good hire

Looking more than 5 years ahead on any job, hire, etc is setting yourself up for failure

I’m glad you’re not in charge of the hiring process
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

So you want to hire someone where you can build in job security as a priority before knowing whether they are capable of doing the job

If someone leaves and you’re market competitive then you wish them good luck and make another good hire

Looking more than 5 years ahead on any job, hire, etc is setting yourself up for failure

So just hire the coach you already know will be successful. And then hire another one if that one leaves. BrIlliant! Someone should have thought of that. You really should be in athletic administration.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

So just hire the coach you already know will be successful. And then hire another one if that one leaves. BrIlliant! Someone should have thought of that. You really should be in athletic administration.
    That would require you to understand the point that I was making

You can make the best hire in the world and you have no idea what the future holds.

When Chris Petersen took the job nobody cared about whether he was an alum or not. What mattered was that he was a great coach. When he got to the CFP in 2016 most would have been happy to have had him on board for the foreseeable future ...

And 3 years later he retired

My point is that you don’t hire an alum with the rationale that at least they won’t leave. Everybody has a shelf life and everybody is going to be replaced at some point.

When Petersen was hired any AD would have hoped that the hire would mean job stability for 10-15 years minimum. He coached 6 seasons at UW.

Hence my point about don’t get too far over the skis in hiring. Hire the person you think gives you the best opportunity to be successful over the next 5 years. If they are successful and stay ... that’s great. If they leave you’re in theory making your next hire from a better position of strength.

The problem with most hiring decisions is factors that have no bearing on future success get tied into the search and distract or often preclude making the best hire possible.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

You can make the best hire in the world and you have no idea what the future holds.

When Chris Petersen took the job nobody cared about whether he was an alum or not. What mattered was that he was a great coach. When he got to the CFP in 2016 most would have been happy to have had him on board for the foreseeable future ...

My point is that you don’t hire an alum with the rationale that at least they won’t leave. Everybody has a shelf life and everybody is going to be replaced at some point.

When Petersen was hired any AD would have hoped that the hire would mean job stability for 10-15 years minimum. He coached 6 seasons at UW.

Hence my point about don’t get too far over the skis in hiring. Hire the person you think gives you the best opportunity to be successful over the next 5 years. If they are successful and stay ... that’s great. If they leave you’re in theory making your next hire from a better position of strength.

The problem with most hiring decisions is factors that have no bearing on future success get tied into the search and distract or often preclude making the best hire possible.
    Right now we need to return to competitive. Loree can do that. If she can do better than that, you have a coach in her early 40s who is at her alma mater and you can have a real run of success. When you think of women’s basketball, how much coaching turnover have Stanford, UConn, Baylor, Tennessee had during their championship eras?
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

Right now we need to return to competitive. Loree can do that. If she can do better than that, you have a coach in her early 40s who is at her alma mater and you can have a real run of success. When you think of women’s basketball, how much coaching turnover have Stanford, UConn, Baylor, Tennessee had during their championship eras?
    Take the L here man ... tired of making you my bitch
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

Your willingness to declare victory is inspiring.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

HHusky said:

Tequilla said:

Your willingness to declare victory is inspiring.
    I’ve been taking notes from Quooks