Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vorel to Jen Cohen: "Is UW men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins’ job in jeopardy?"

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
“Absolutely not. I believe in Mike. I’m supportive of Mike. I’m excited to be his partner and figure out how we’re going to reevaluate things after this year. We’re looking to still move forward with the basketball (facility) project. Sometimes these things are cyclical. Sometimes they’re really frustrating. There’s nobody that’s more upset with losing and where this program is right now than Mike Hopkins and me. So I’m confident that we’re going to come up with a plan at the end of the year and we’re going to get headed back in the right direction.”

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    Broom him. Now.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I hope she goes down with him.

Dawgsense
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021

I'm guessing hope she goes down with on him.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801

I'm guessing hope she goes down with on him.

Could be how he’s saving his job

Jen has needs too
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021
    I know my statement was mean but none of this is making any sense... she extends him so his buyout is out of reach and now she has cash flow problems that she cant solve.

And when she had the chance to lay down some requirements regarding increasing the football program status via power hiring moves to make up for losing CP as a draw, she let the new coach hang himself regarding the replacement coaches instead of stepping up and insisting that game changing coaches would be hired and it has snow balled from there.

Putting it bluntly, we have now lost the three main reasons that kids wanted to come to UW [CP as HC, coach K with the defense, and Lake as the DB coach that will get your to the League] and as this has evolved it was her responsibility to make sure that additional firepower was hired and in operation to either prevent or offset the losses.

We are talking about a GM that obviously has no power within the institution, no foresight to anticipate outcomes and no guts to step up when it's required ~ so we are now watching over the death of the positive momentum that was previously built.

Now both previous positive cash flow producing programs are in the tank and its her fault ~ as the GM its her responsibility to watch over the cash flow potential of the revenue sports and she has utterly failed.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Best case scenario is that Wynn gets fired ... no chance Hop does this year
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    We can't, or are choosing not to (not sure which is worse), pay for what will soon be a $3m buyout. That's chump change to cleanse yourself of a coach who is so clearly and without a doubt out of his depth. There is literally no outcome here where Hopkins somehow ascends to meet Jen's purported "high expectations".

If cost is such an issue then just cut Mike now and pay a measly $1m to the dad of the next one-and-done 5 star to be our head coach for one year. Better odds with that than sticking with a proven loser.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021

Tequilla said:

Best case scenario is that Wynn gets fired ... no chance Hop does this year

Nobody besides you gives a shit about Wynn.
    Eh oh El. One of the btwd guys on Twitter: "All Olympic sports going on at the same time this is LIT!!!!!"

We won a national championship in softball when I was there. My only reaction was that the hottest player on the team had classes w me.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Covid financial woes still might save him
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021
    The standard response for administrators to state when their revenue producing sports are complete crap and are sliding into a black hole is to state exactly what Jen just said.... the following is redacted to isolate the primary I’m a loser message:

“One, we’re doing what we were always supposed to be doing, which is serving our students. We want to win at everything and we’re so competitive, but at the end of the day the athletic department exists to develop students, and we’re doing a hell of a job at that.

“We’ve kept all of our sports. We have a model to allow for all of our sports to train. We have student-athletes that achieved unbelievable academic success in the fall. So as hard as it’s been to not be able to be with the kids or be with fans, every time I talk to a student-athlete I’m reminded that we’re doing what we’re supposed to be doing, which is serving them.”

The other message that you hear is how well all of the teams are doing all the way down to the pride and joy of intermural sports

Not exactly the message that resonates with top teams in the country... imagine hearing this feel good narrative at Ohio state or Alabama, but this is exactly the narrative that academically oriented loser major sports AD’s resort to while they watch their program go pathetically to pieces
  • Options
    PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited February 2021
    Somebody needs to go James Caan on Jen and get her away from the woke crowd
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The standard response for administrators to state when their revenue producing sports are complete crap and are sliding into a black hole is to state exactly what Jen just said.... the following is redacted to isolate the primary I’m a loser message:

“One, we’re doing what we were always supposed to be doing, which is serving our students. We want to win at everything and we’re so competitive, but at the end of the day the athletic department exists to develop students, and we’re doing a hell of a job at that.

“We’ve kept all of our sports. We have a model to allow for all of our sports to train. We have student-athletes that achieved unbelievable academic success in the fall. So as hard as it’s been to not be able to be with the kids or be with fans, every time I talk to a student-athlete I’m reminded that we’re doing what we’re supposed to be doing, which is serving them.”

The other message that you hear is how well all of the teams are doing all the way down to the pride and joy of intermural sports

Not exactly the message that resonates with top teams in the country... imagine hearing this feel good narrative at Ohio state or Alabama, but this is exactly the narrative that academically oriented loser major sports AD’s resort to while they watch their program go pathetically to pieces

With that said, there is a significant % of Husky Nation that has bought into that; most of them can be found on Kim's board.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    Standard Supporter
    I thought Hopkins' buyout was $11 million?
  • Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    UW basketball is deader than this forum.
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

“Absolutely not. I believe in Mike. I’m supportive of Mike. I’m excited to be his partner and figure out how we’re going to reevaluate things after this year. We’re looking to still move forward with the basketball (facility) project. Sometimes these things are cyclical. Sometimes they’re really frustrating. There’s nobody that’s more upset with losing and where this program is right now than Mike Hopkins and me. So I’m confident that we’re going to come up with a plan at the end of the year and we’re going to get headed back in the right direction.”

Unpopular opinion. And I'm ready for the fuck offs or whatever they are. But I really like Hop.

Lets be clear. They stunk. Clear lack of belief, production and cohesiveness on the court. It's Hop's job to raise mentality of these guys and it's clear they lacked a lot in this department.

That said, it was pretty much all these players first time playing together on a court. Must be tough to jump straight into your first games of the season against Colorado who seems like they've had the same roster since 2010 and Baylor, who was undefeated until last week, when none of your rotations have played a real basketball game together. The early stretch of games was not what they needed and set the tone for what was a season full of growing pains.

Remember, the teams that featured Crisp, Dickerson, Thybulle, Greene were freaking horrific until their junior and senior years.

I think Tsohonis, Bey, Stevenson, Battle, Bajema, Brooks is a solid little group who could take a big leap forward confidence wise as a unit next season.

They're gonna need to get a transfer big man to come in because Roberts and Sorn can't be it. Jackson Grant should come in a provide immediate offense in the post which is something they desperately missed.

They played much better basketball in the 2nd half of the season... won a few games and lost a couple games close against teams they had no business being competitive with.

They may not challenge for a NCAA tournament, but I expect them to be somewhere middle of the PAC and I think Hop can get this thing back on track.
  • Options
    PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275
    edited March 2021

Unpopular opinion. And I'm ready for the fuck offs or whatever they are. But I really like Hop.

Lets be clear. They stunk. Clear lack of belief, production and cohesiveness on the court. It's Hop's job to raise mentality of these guys and it's clear they lacked a lot in this department.

That said, it was pretty much all these players first time playing together on a court. Must be tough to jump straight into your first games of the season against Colorado who seems like they've had the same roster since 2010 and Baylor, who was undefeated until last week, when none of your rotations have played a real basketball game together. The early stretch of games was not what they needed and set the tone for what was a season full of growing pains.

Remember, the teams that featured Crisp, Dickerson, Thybulle, Greene were freaking horrific until their junior and senior years.

I think Tsohonis, Bey, Stevenson, Battle, Bajema, Brooks is a solid little group who could take a big leap forward confidence wise as a unit next season.

They're gonna need to get a transfer big man to come in because Roberts and Sorn can't be it. Jackson Grant should come in a provide immediate offense in the post which is something they desperately missed.

They played much better basketball in the 2nd half of the season... won a few games and lost a couple games close against teams they had no business being competitive with.

They may not challenge for a NCAA tournament, but I expect them to be somewhere middle of the PAC and I think Hop can get this thing back on track.
    Hopkins could be an elite level coach and this team wouldn't be .500. The talent level is atrocious and will be next year as well. He is a mediocre coach and has been a poor recruiter last two years as well.

An AD worth a damn would realize this and be able to foresee another bottom feeder next year as well and cut ties immediately after season. There is no sugar coating this, Mike Hopkins has neutered this program and no school halfway serious about basketball would let him stick around past this year