Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vorel to Jen Cohen: "Is UW men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins’ job in jeopardy?"

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Wait, Pope is allowed to recruit in addition to bringing in transfers? Somebody tell Hop.

To be fair, he hasn't really recruited much of anything. He's only got 3 players in 2 years...
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Wait, Pope is allowed to recruit in addition to bringing in transfers? Somebody tell Hop.

To be fair, he hasn't really recruited much of anything. He's only got 3 players in 2 years...
    That’s three times as many as Hop.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Jesus Christ, there are so many things wrong with this thread it’s hard to know where to begin.

As far as who we can bring in that’s better, here’s where I’d start:

-Mark Pope. Has BYU looking good and is from here.
    -Leon Rice. Boise has been toward the top of the mountain west all year and he’s built a solid program there.
    -Travis Decuire. Not sure he’d be at the top of the list but worth including here
    -Tommy Lloyd. This one’s a longshot but you gotta at least shoot your shot.
    -The field. Lots of good coaches at smaller programs. Just start with the programs in first place in their conferences and see who you can find that’d be a good fit and has some sustained success.

Shit, at this point I’d try Whoopi Goldberg. She turned the Knicks around.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FINE, I'll do it. If you guys are going to bitch this much, I guess I have no choice but to step up. I'm going to need some assistants. Who's in?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Pope going back home would be kind of weird. How do you tell a kid to stay at UW and out of the portal when you're Mark Pope?

That said he seems to be a good coach and obviously has ties to the area. Makes sense for sure. Just weird to think about.
  • Options
    picalogestabopicalogestabo Member Posts: 651
    I heard Coach Hop will be back next year and he’s cleaning house. A large portion of the returning players have been encouraged to transfer out and some JUCO players will be coming in. Expect some changes on the coaching staff as well.
  • Options
    PrestonluvPrestonluv Member Posts: 275

I heard Coach Hop will be back next year and he’s cleaning house. A large portion of the returning players have been encouraged to transfer out and some JUCO players will be coming in. Expect some changes on the coaching staff as well.

Bringing in a bunch of JUCO transfers when you are known to be a below average coach. How can this go wrong?
    Hopkins is done

Next year won't be much if any better

We all know not firing him now is just delaying the inevitable. Poor leadership and poor decision making allow this too happens.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Hire WSU's coach or roll the dice on BRoy.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876
    edited March 2021

FINE, I'll do it. If you guys are going to bitch this much, I guess I have no choice but to step up. I'm going to need some assistants. Who's in?

The throbber knows more about coaching basketball that 99% of the people out there. So, sure.

But He don't do assistant gigs. Fuck that. Head guy and the rest of you can ride my coattails. @swaye is in charge of recruiting and Starbucks cups.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876

Hire WSU's coach or roll the dice on BRoy.

Those are the two obvious options.

Smith is kind of a weird one - he's got a kid with severe autism and somehow Pullman is a good fit for the family. Maybe there's some treatment options in Seattle that are an upgrade. Would take $$$ to drag him out.

BRoy would need to bring in legit assistants. Could end up like Juwan Howard or like Patrick Ewing. Outside Seattle, would he have the name to pull big time players. Or does the UW even need to go outside the Seattle area all that much to be a power?

• Options
    HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Hire BRoy and ask questions later
  • Options
    HireBRoy said:

Hire BRoy and ask questions later

Hire BRoy and don’t ask any questions.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    Standard Supporter
    Isn't Hopkins' buyout $11 or $13 million until after the 2021 season? Seems like hitting the JC / transfer portal hard and changing a couple of assistants would be more likely than big hitter wallets stepping forward to help with the buy-out.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

“Absolutely not. I believe in Mike. I’m supportive of Mike. I’m excited to be his partner and figure out how we’re going to reevaluate things after this year. We’re looking to still move forward with the basketball (facility) project. Sometimes these things are cyclical. Sometimes they’re really frustrating. There’s nobody that’s more upset with losing and where this program is right now than Mike Hopkins and me. So I’m confident that we’re going to come up with a plan at the end of the year and we’re going to get headed back in the right direction.”

Unpopular opinion. And I'm ready for the fuck offs or whatever they are. But I really like Hop.

Lets be clear. They stunk. Clear lack of belief, production and cohesiveness on the court. It's Hop's job to raise mentality of these guys and it's clear they lacked a lot in this department.

That said, it was pretty much all these players first time playing together on a court. Must be tough to jump straight into your first games of the season against Colorado who seems like they've had the same roster since 2010 and Baylor, who was undefeated until last week, when none of your rotations have played a real basketball game together. The early stretch of games was not what they needed and set the tone for what was a season full of growing pains.

Remember, the teams that featured Crisp, Dickerson, Thybulle, Greene were freaking horrific until their junior and senior years.

I think Tsohonis, Bey, Stevenson, Battle, Bajema, Brooks is a solid little group who could take a big leap forward confidence wise as a unit next season.

They're gonna need to get a transfer big man to come in because Roberts and Sorn can't be it. Jackson Grant should come in a provide immediate offense in the post which is something they desperately missed.

They played much better basketball in the 2nd half of the season... won a few games and lost a couple games close against teams they had no business being competitive with.

They may not challenge for a NCAA tournament, but I expect them to be somewhere middle of the PAC and I think Hop can get this thing back on track.
    No, he's had four years and they're 5-21 or something. He's gone backward. Move the hell on.
  • Options
    No thread to congratulate Hop and the boys on fighting to cover the spread against 8th place Utah?

I think that’s a moral victory they will really be able to build on this off-season.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

No thread to congratulate Hop and the boys on fighting to cover the spread against 8th place Utah?

I think that’s a moral victory they will really be able to build on this off-season.

No joke, an unreal last 4 mins to cover
  • Options
    MRTMRT Member Posts: 11
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    Given that this UW team played worse than the pre Hop UW team, I have a question. If the Husky basketball team finishes 6th in the Pac 12 next year, does Hop win his 3rd Pac12 coach of the year award?
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Leave it to Jen to give a second year coach, with one tourney win, a contract that we couldn’t afford to buy out of. Wonderful strategy.