Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New Car Advice?

Comments

• Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    4 Runners are nice but you pay for the name somewhat. Engine is a little dated but very reliable. Tacomas are nice trucks, I'd consider getting one next time. I'm a Toyota fan for a reason, no problems with them, they run well, and keep their value if re-selling is your thing.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,634
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    This thread is useless. I have to buy a car next month. What do I get. I don't drive anyone else in the car ever. No girls ever see my car until we've already smashed so I don't care about it from that perspective.

I just want to buy and forget about it and not look ghetto.

I don't haul or move shit either.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,912
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021

I bought a new Sentra in 16 for 17 grand. Oil changes and new tires in 5 years

Runs great. 40 mpg. No payment

Car payments suck the life out of you

100% this. The most important poont in this thread.

One of my two dads put 300k miles on an '86 Acura Legend whilst building a $1m house - when $1m meant something ...

Why borrow money - pay interest - on a depreciating asset?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

I drive a 1985 Jeep Scrambler that belonged to my Dad. Will quite literally climb up a mountain, as I've done it. When the solar flares come I will laugh at all you idiots as I drive right on by while you fight over dog meat in the streets like Venezuela or some shit.

You will also have bullets and beans. So there's that too!
  • Options
    pawz said:

I bought a new Sentra in 16 for 17 grand. Oil changes and new tires in 5 years

Runs great. 40 mpg. No payment

Car payments suck the life out of you

100% this. The most important poont in this thread.

One of my two dads put 300k miles on an '86 Acura Legend whilst building a $1m house - when $1m meant something ...

Why borrow money - pay interest - on a depreciating asset?
    agreed. i drove a new 2004 Toyota Sequoia (or, more accurately, my wife did) and took to to 3 fiddy. basically raised the kids in that thing. she was fucking work horse. and honestly, we took shit care of it. id' go 30k without thinking of changing the oil. about the only preventive maintenance I ever did on tim was the timing belt/chain, which the Japanese auto makers scare you into doing on tim. Only did it that one tim btw. At some point while moving my kid out of an apartment with a big U haul trailer in tow, white liquid was blowing out of the hood on the freeway driving back. Got back, the radiator had finally had it, drove to the Kirkland Toyota dealer hoping the freeway air would keep it cool enough, it didn't, bitch was running with the needle firmly in the red on the temp gauge, replaced it, got another 60 to 80 out of her, and then when I started smelling weird shit that made my eyes water, I figured it was tim. Sold it to some dude for 800 and I still see it driving around town.

Intend to do the same with the two I have now. And I will never, ever own another BMW again. I had a coupe, beautiful and fun to drive, that I got 150 out of and it was pain, suffering and $$ the entire fucking time. Never again. I just don't care enough.
  • Options

This thread is useless. I have to buy a car next month. What do I get. I don't drive anyone else in the car ever. No girls ever see my car until we've already smashed so I don't care about it from that perspective.

I'm with @PurpleThrobber here: get yourself a good Japanese car. Go simple or go cool, you have that option, but go Japanese. JMHO.
  • Options

We are an Asian car only family - Toyota, Mazda and Nissan.

Never have any issues with them. Ever.

@RoadDawg55's peeps make sweet rides.

Mazda is so massively underrated.
    The Throbber has a CX9 - best fucking snow car EVER. AWD, throw some studs on that bad boy...like a snow leopard chasing down its prey.
    Mazda's are criminally underrated. For some reason, they are the least expensive of the Japanese line-up. Toyota and Honda (their luxury analogues) carry a higher sticker and get away with it. I haven't owned one but every person I know who has loves their Mazdas and swears by then. Subaru is like that too.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,669
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021

C8 Corvette.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,665
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

I suggest you do what I did and buy your wife a 70k+ car and then allocate about 26k for yourself to buy a suburu impreza,

Lesbo confirmed.
    pat pat little Benny.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

haie said:

I suggest you do what I did and buy your wife a 70k+ car and then allocate about 26k for yourself to buy a suburu impreza,

Lesbo confirmed.
    pat pat little Benny.
    NTTAWWT
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    This thread delivers
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,339
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021

The Throbber has a CX9 - best fucking snow car EVER. AWD, throw some studs on that bad boy...like a snow leopard chasing down its prey.
    Mazda's are criminally underrated. For some reason, they are the least expensive of the Japanese line-up. Toyota and Honda (their luxury analogues) carry a higher sticker and get away with it. I haven't owned one but every person I know who has loves their Mazdas and swears by then. Subaru is like that too.
    Just perused Mazda's website and came away a little disappointed. Seems their fuel economy has dropped nearly 10 mpg across the board. My brother's 3 gets 40 mpg. Nothing they make gets over 31 combined now. I still think they have one of if not the best design aesthetics for any car you can buy under $60K (maybe higher), and they're dead-nuts reliable, but I commute 70 miles round trip, so I look for cars that are easy on the fuel.

I'm excited to see more ~$40K long range electrics hitting the market. Many Luddites still shit on electric, but to them I say, "Don't knock it 'till you've tried it." Quiet, torque for days, way fewer expensive parts to break or expensive maintenance to do, brakes last forever, and never having to stop at the gas station. Here in my corner of Washington, at 10 cents per kWh, it's like driving for free. In somewhere like Wenatchee, where it's under 3 cents? What idiot with a commute doesn't have one?

I used to be a "car guy." I went full fast strategy and bought a 3-Series new first thing after getting hired at my current job. It was my first new vehicle. Why did I get it? Rear wheel drive (steering input at both ends of the car), inline six (natural first and second order balance), manual transmission, back seat, under $40K. Thanks to broadening my horizons to include other expensive hobbies like home-ownership, I've stopped giving a fuck about any of that shit, and all I care about is lowest TCO. Even the cheapest, shittiest cars on the market today have creature comforts that parallel the most expensive car I've owned. For me, car purchases are a spreadsheet exercise: Purchase price minus depreciated value plus expected maintenance plus consumables over predicted length of ownership. Lowest wins. A $40K electric stacks up surprisingly well against all but the cheapest and most efficient gas car--IF it's from a manufacture that still qualifies for the tax rebate (to bring things back to my original post).

Whoever posted the picture of the Mustang Mach-E above is onto something. If you have to have a car that "looks like" an SUV (because, let's face it, only @Swaye actually uses his SUV for S and/or U...), you could do a lot worse. $36K after rebate for a luxury-adjacent car that will drive your eyes into the back of your skull on acceleration, pretty much run for free as long as you own it, and allow you to never have to stop at a gas station again. And, thanks to the tax rebate, you're calculating resale depreciation from a price $7500 above what you paid (IOW, six or seven years down the road, I'd rather be selling what started as a $40K long range electric than what started as a $25K Corolla).

/woman in Japanese board meeting
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just perused Mazda's website and came away a little disappointed. Seems their fuel economy has dropped nearly 10 mpg across the board. My brother's 3 gets 40 mpg. Nothing they make gets over 31 combined now. I still think they have one of if not the best design aesthetics for any car you can buy under $60K (maybe higher), and they're dead-nuts reliable, but I commute 70 miles round trip, so I look for cars that are easy on the fuel.

I'm excited to see more ~$40K long range electrics hitting the market. Many Luddites still shit on electric, but to them I say, "Don't knock it 'till you've tried it." Quiet, torque for days, way fewer expensive parts to break or expensive maintenance to do, brakes last forever, and never having to stop at the gas station. Here in my corner of Washington, at 10 cents per kWh, it's like driving for free. In somewhere like Wenatchee, where it's under 3 cents? What idiot with a commute doesn't have one?

I used to be a "car guy." I went full fast strategy and bought a 3-Series new first thing after getting hired at my current job. It was my first new vehicle. Why did I get it? Rear wheel drive (steering input at both ends of the car), inline six (natural first and second order balance), manual transmission, back seat, under $40K. Thanks to broadening my horizons to include other expensive hobbies like home-ownership, I've stopped giving a fuck about any of that shit, and all I care about is lowest TCO. Even the cheapest, shittiest cars on the market today have creature comforts that parallel the most expensive car I've owned. For me, car purchases are a spreadsheet exercise: Purchase price minus depreciated value plus expected maintenance plus consumables over predicted length of ownership. Lowest wins. A $40K electric stacks up surprisingly well against all but the cheapest and most efficient gas car--IF it's from a manufacture that still qualifies for the tax rebate (to bring things back to my original post).

Whoever posted the picture of the Mustang Mach-E above is onto something. If you have to have a car that "looks like" an SUV (because, let's face it, only @Swaye actually uses his SUV for S and/or U...), you could do a lot worse. $36K after rebate for a luxury-adjacent car that will drive your eyes into the back of your skull on acceleration, pretty much run for free as long as you own it, and allow you to never have to stop at a gas station again. And, thanks to the tax rebate, you're calculating resale depreciation from a price $7500 above what you paid (IOW, six or seven years down the road, I'd rather be selling what started as a $40K long range electric than what started as a $25K Corolla).

I don’t rock crawl per se but have used the shit out of my SUV over the years. Plenty of clearance situations in snow or off road. But yes you’re pretty much on the money.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,339
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don’t rock crawl per se but have used the shit out of my SUV over the years. Plenty of clearance situations in snow or off road. But yes you’re pretty much on the money.
    I think most people would be surprised what modern studless winter tires can do. (@PurpleThrobber: Ditch the studs. They tear up roads, flatten and become pointless quickly, and don't really give you that much more traction these days. People run studless in the Michigan UP just fine.) I've been up to the Baker ski resort sledding hill in January in a sport package RWD 3-series (4" ground clearance) with no chains. Ditto two different minivans. I rarely encounter roads I need to drive on that aren't plowed, but I guess there are times where simply ground clearance over the snow is the difference between moving or not. Those are times it's probably best to stay home anyway.

There's this misconception that you're fucked in the snow without AWD. The reality is that, although AWD is useful for getting started and getting up hills, it does fuck all for helping you stop. That's where proper tires come in. Now, proper tires and AWD? Even better. ATBSJBS, I've driven about a half million miles, and a lack of AWD has prevented me from getting where I wanted to go... once I can recall.

That's just my situation, though. I'm sure if I had a long, steep driveway, I'd feel differently about it.