Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New Car Advice?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know this thread wasn't made to be taken seriously, but a real take on new Chevrolets is that they're getting fucked by a poorly crafted tax incentive. A long time ago, I saw a meme that gave me media room big belly laughs. Took me a while to find it, but here it is:

That buck in the middle there is GM. They took electrification seriously, devoted billions to R&D, and were first to market with affordable plug-ins. The problem is that they're now fucked. Being first meant they hit their tax credit quota before any other manufacturer but Tesla (totally different customer target) had even really gotten started. Now, they're having to compete with all of the feet-draggers at a $7500 disadvantage.

I'd be pissed if I were them.

This thread can go where ever we want it to go. Initially it was making fun of Caribbean Messicans, but we can do GM hot talk.

I am descended of three generations of Chevy dealers. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft pole now.

If I every get a new and larger SUV, I'm rolling Sequoia style like @creepycoug .
    Weirdly, I've never owned a Toyota. I've owned five Fords, four Hondas, three VAG (one each of Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche), two GM, one Mazda, one Chrysler, and one BMW. My wife is a descendant of two generations of Chrysler dealers (grandpa passed down to uncle), but I would have swore I'd never own one of those even before I met her. Yet there one is in my driveway right now.

Things change quickly in the automotive world. Whereas for the longest time a Chrysler transmission was a ticking time bomb right off the showroom floor, they now use the exact same German ZF transmission that Honda and Acura uses. I talked my wife (then-girlfriend) into selling her Jetta prior to it eclipsing 100K miles so that she could still get good money for it before every electrical system in the car started going to shit, yet wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one today if they made what I want. Perhaps the biggest automotive crime against a company's customers is Ford's 3-valve modular engine, a crime they never took responsibility for. What vehicles did this affect? Oh, only every single Ford vehicle with a 90 degree engine in it that was sold from 2004 to 2010. So millions. Poor design in the oiling system when upgrading the engine from two valves and fixed timing to three valves and cam phasing leads to premature failure in all of these engines if not babied by the book (if anybody's interested in what it looks like, I could show you pictures of the inside of mine). Yet would I buy a Ford truck today? Fuck yeah I would; the new ones are great.

The two biggest myths in the automotive world that I've personally encountered are that BMWs are unreliable and expensive to maintain and Hondas are super reliable and high quality. To the former, I have never encountered a four-wheeled vehicle that's more logically assembled and easy to work on than my E46 BMW was. If you're dumb enough to take it to the dealer, you will indeed get bent over for maintenance. Independent shops cut that cost in less than half and do at least as good of a job, and doing things yourself is even better still. And the car was so easy to work on that I didn't mind doing things myself.

To the latter myth, there is only one car company who I absolutely won't do business with again, and that's Honda. They're the only ones who have fucked me and then rubbed it in and asked, "How you like them apples?" Once again, it was a case of a manufacturer upgrading their engines and fucking it up, the engines failing prematurely at a high rate as a result, and then the company not taking responsibility because the price tag was too high. In this case, they were sued and lost, forcing them to own up, but only if the customer was savvy enough to look up the problem and hold them to it. (In other words, I pity the fool whose Honda V6 with VCM, which they sold hundreds of thousands of during the affected years, shit the bed a year out of warranty and they don't own a code reader and suck at Google.) By 2012, "reliability" just stopped being that big of a concern with new cars. Everything is built so well and precise that it just comes down to design failures or not, and every company is susceptible. Yet here's our 2012 Honda needing new axles (shitty CVs) at 30K, an engine rebuild at 60K, and another engine rebuild at 70K. When I asked American Honda to buy it back from us at fair market value so that I could upgrade to a newer one without the problems (a win-win for everyone, I thought), they told me to fuck off. When I asked them why they would pass up a deal that would cost them peanuts and release a pissed off former customer out in the wild to talk shit at every chance, the response was (and I quote): "Oh, I think Honda's reputation will be juuuuuuuust fine."

Fuck those guys. The Chrysler (manufacturer I swore I would never buy from) that replaced it is better in every way. Circle of life.

Long story short, the most unreliable piece of shit I've ever encountered was my dads' Chevy Caprice Classic wagon that they bought when I was bout two years old. This was before lemon laws, and that thing was a legit lemon. They paid many multiples the purchase price of the car on repairs over the decade or so they owned it, starting nearly right after they drove it new off the lot. I didn't give that two thoughts when I bought a new Chevy three or four years ago. Things change, and it's been a great car, minor niggles aside.
    My garage won't fit a full size crew cab truck. But seriously, I have no use for a truck. Bikes, skis, etc all go on top. Don't own a boat or anything else which needs towing.
    Do you not have a tree on your property? That's what I park my truck under.
    Ponderosa pines and tree parking don’t mix.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,669
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I know this thread wasn't made to be taken seriously, but a real take on new Chevrolets is that they're getting fucked by a poorly crafted tax incentive. A long time ago, I saw a meme that gave me media room big belly laughs. Took me a while to find it, but here it is:

That buck in the middle there is GM. They took electrification seriously, devoted billions to R&D, and were first to market with affordable plug-ins. The problem is that they're now fucked. Being first meant they hit their tax credit quota before any other manufacturer but Tesla (totally different customer target) had even really gotten started. Now, they're having to compete with all of the feet-draggers at a $7500 disadvantage.

This thread can go where ever we want it to go. Initially it was making fun of Caribbean Messicans, but we can do GM hot talk.

I am descended of three generations of Chevy dealers. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft pole now.

If I every get a new and larger SUV, I'm rolling Sequoia style like @creepycoug .
    Weirdly, I've never owned a Toyota. I've owned five Fords, four Hondas, three VAG (one each of Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche), two GM, one Mazda, one Chrysler, and one BMW. My wife is a descendant of two generations of Chrysler dealers (grandpa passed down to uncle), but I would have swore I'd never own one of those even before I met her. Yet there one is in my driveway right now.

Things change quickly in the automotive world. Whereas for the longest time a Chrysler transmission was a ticking time bomb right off the showroom floor, they now use the exact same German ZF transmission that Honda and Acura uses. I talked my wife (then-girlfriend) into selling her Jetta prior to it eclipsing 100K miles so that she could still get good money for it before every electrical system in the car started going to shit, yet wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one today if they made what I want. Perhaps the biggest automotive crime against a company's customers is Ford's 3-valve modular engine, a crime they never took responsibility for. What vehicles did this affect? Oh, only every single Ford vehicle with a 90 degree engine in it that was sold from 2004 to 2010. So millions. Poor design in the oiling system when upgrading the engine from two valves and fixed timing to three valves and cam phasing leads to premature failure in all of these engines if not babied by the book (if anybody's interested in what it looks like, I could show you pictures of the inside of mine). Yet would I buy a Ford truck today? Fuck yeah I would; the new ones are great.

The two biggest myths in the automotive world that I've personally encountered are that BMWs are unreliable and expensive to maintain and Hondas are super reliable and high quality. To the former, I have never encountered a four-wheeled vehicle that's more logically assembled and easy to work on than my E46 BMW was. If you're dumb enough to take it to the dealer, you will indeed get bent over for maintenance. Independent shops cut that cost in less than half and do at least as good of a job, and doing things yourself is even better still. And the car was so easy to work on that I didn't mind doing things myself.

To the latter myth, there is only one car company who I absolutely won't do business with again, and that's Honda. They're the only ones who have fucked me and then rubbed it in and asked, "How you like them apples?" Once again, it was a case of a manufacturer upgrading their engines and fucking it up, the engines failing prematurely at a high rate as a result, and then the company not taking responsibility because the price tag was too high. In this case, they were sued and lost, forcing them to own up, but only if the customer was savvy enough to look up the problem and hold them to it. (In other words, I pity the fool whose Honda V6 with VCM, which they sold hundreds of thousands of during the affected years, shit the bed a year out of warranty and they don't own a code reader and suck at Google.) By 2012, "reliability" just stopped being that big of a concern with new cars. Everything is built so well and precise that it just comes down to design failures or not, and every company is susceptible. Yet here's our 2012 Honda needing new axles (shitty CVs) at 30K, an engine rebuild at 60K, and another engine rebuild at 70K. When I asked American Honda to buy it back from us at fair market value so that I could upgrade to a newer one without the problems (a win-win for everyone, I thought), they told me to fuck off. When I asked them why they would pass up a deal that would cost them peanuts and release a pissed off former customer out in the wild to talk shit at every chance, the response was (and I quote): "Oh, I think Honda's reputation will be juuuuuuuust fine."

Fuck those guys. The Chrysler (manufacturer I swore I would never buy from) that replaced it is better in every way. Circle of life.

Long story short, the most unreliable piece of shit I've ever encountered was my dads' Chevy Caprice Classic wagon that they bought when I was bout two years old. This was before lemon laws, and that thing was a legit lemon. They paid many multiples the purchase price of the car on repairs over the decade or so they owned it, starting nearly right after they drove it new off the lot. I didn't give that two thoughts when I bought a new Chevy three or four years ago. Things change, and it's been a great car, minor niggles aside.
    My garage won't fit a full size crew cab truck. But seriously, I have no use for a truck. Bikes, skis, etc all go on top. Don't own a boat or anything else which needs towing.
    I weep for your paint.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So my neighbor had these 4 model 1957 Bel Air Chevys. Gives them to our 3 year old the other day. All I could think of was Creep. Lol. HCH IRL.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I weep for your paint.

Although it is true...

I take a gallon of bleach and a push broom to my truck once per year whether it needs it or not. Kills the moss and sweeps off the leaves and pine needles. I would never own a truck I wouldn't be willing to risk throwing shit into from 20 feet away (this actually cost me a rear window recently...). The truck is just for work and hauling bikes, so I buy cheap and treat as disposable.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We are an Asian car only family - Toyota, Mazda and Nissan.

Never have any issues with them. Ever.

@RoadDawg55's peeps make sweet rides.

Mazda is so massively underrated.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

HuskyJW said:

Men drive trucks

HTH

I have a solid rear axle and body on frame vehicle. Drives like a truck.

I don't need an open bed to haul around any shit.
    Where do you put the dead animals?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Navigator and new Escalade are both better options.
    Both are nice rides @BleachedAnusDawg , but not good extensions of my personality.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

HuskyJW said:

Men drive trucks

HTH

I have a solid rear axle and body on frame vehicle. Drives like a truck.

I don't need an open bed to haul around any shit.
    Where do you put the dead animals?
    If I ever did go full size truck, then it would be a Tundra TRD Pro package. Those Toyota guysm have got their hooks in me.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

I suggest you do what I did and buy your wife a 70k+ car and then allocate about 26k for yourself to buy a suburu impreza, brand new, and then have a global pandemic happen where you drive it about once every 1-4 weeks.

Both paid off. So that the flaming money pile is just right there for you to laugh at.

We finally suspended our insurance on the MDX. It just sits in the garage. We drive the Highlander everywhere. We really don’t need two cars.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

haie said:

I suggest you do what I did and buy your wife a 70k+ car and then allocate about 26k for yourself to buy a suburu impreza, brand new, and then have a global pandemic happen where you drive it about once every 1-4 weeks.

Both paid off. So that the flaming money pile is just right there for you to laugh at.

My condolences...

Mrs Snow wants an Audi Q7 to drive to the country club. FML.

I bought my Toyota 12 years ago. It was 3 years old with 22,000 miles on it. Certified pre-owned with a 7 year power train warranty. I paid 22K. Trade-in value is still $8.5 K because peeps want 4 Runners. So only $13.5K depreciation over 12 years. That's about as good as once can do at not pissing away money on cars.
    We? in the Sequoia club call those foreskinners.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

haie said:

My condolences...

Mrs Snow wants an Audi Q7 to drive to the country club. FML.

I bought my Toyota 12 years ago. It was 3 years old with 22,000 miles on it. Certified pre-owned with a 7 year power train warranty. I paid 22K. Trade-in value is still $8.5 K because peeps want 4 Runners. So only $13.5K depreciation over 12 years. That's about as good as once can do at not pissing away money on cars.
    We? in the Sequoia club call those foreskinners.
    Toyota’s are nice

I just like my trucks made with wrenches not chopsticks
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I like American cars because it's better to keep the jobs in the USCMA.