Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sark wants Kwat

Comments

• Options
    Mitch_CumsteenMitch_Cumsteen Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

haie said:

@RaceBannon Texas fans have mixed reviews on Ash. On one hand, he is a fairly solid fundamental coach. Tackling improved substantially and the guys didn't seem too out of position most of the time. He's a big advocate/teacher of rugby style tackling. Ash was also not given spring football during covid so they had to learn a new system unconventionally. And to his credit, they got better as the season wore on. His general philosophy is to keep things simple and let you out-athlete the other team and put your best players in a position to succeed. All of which actually is a pretty good strategy for Texas because they are going to outrecruit 90% of the teams on their schedule. It's also in stark contrast to that moron Todd Orlando who ended up at USC. He was a disaster, blitzing from 20 yards away, dropping our best edge rusher into coverage, horrible tackling with guys constantly out of position. On the downside, Ash is viewed as a giant meathead. He insisted on (or at the very least, was granted) the hiring of Chris Valai as DB coach, despite his being very, very green and frankly unqualified. Ash also put together one of the worst staffs ever when he was HC at Rutgers. Urban Meyer loves the guy, or at least publicly praises him whenever he gets the chance. I wouldn't have been too upset with keeping Ash, but from Kwat seems to be a big upgrade.

You guys play anyone that is willing to run the ball and grind out 100 yard drives and give you about 5 possessions in a game?
    They’re in the big 12, so no. It will take the conference a while to adapt.
    @AtomicDawg hit it on the head. Everybody runs some variation of the spread. The Big 12 thinks it invented modern day offense -- it makes us feel better about how shitty the defenses are. Iowa State will try to grind you out a little bit with two and sometimes three tight ends, but that's not their base. K-State maybe a little bit too. But neither of them have the personnel to really play ball control keep away for 60 minutes. You will get your head kicked in playing like that in the Big 12 every week. That said, the conference has lost a lot of the original air raid guys and better offensive minds -- Holgorson, Kingsberry, Briles and even Leach if you want to go back that far. It's not as wide open as it used to be but nobody is going to line up and play smash mouth football any more.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

haie said:

@RaceBannon Texas fans have mixed reviews on Ash. On one hand, he is a fairly solid fundamental coach. Tackling improved substantially and the guys didn't seem too out of position most of the time. He's a big advocate/teacher of rugby style tackling. Ash was also not given spring football during covid so they had to learn a new system unconventionally. And to his credit, they got better as the season wore on. His general philosophy is to keep things simple and let you out-athlete the other team and put your best players in a position to succeed. All of which actually is a pretty good strategy for Texas because they are going to outrecruit 90% of the teams on their schedule. It's also in stark contrast to that moron Todd Orlando who ended up at USC. He was a disaster, blitzing from 20 yards away, dropping our best edge rusher into coverage, horrible tackling with guys constantly out of position. On the downside, Ash is viewed as a giant meathead. He insisted on (or at the very least, was granted) the hiring of Chris Valai as DB coach, despite his being very, very green and frankly unqualified. Ash also put together one of the worst staffs ever when he was HC at Rutgers. Urban Meyer loves the guy, or at least publicly praises him whenever he gets the chance. I wouldn't have been too upset with keeping Ash, but from Kwat seems to be a big upgrade.

You guys play anyone that is willing to run the ball and grind out 100 yard drives and give you about 5 possessions in a game?
    They’re in the big 12, so no. It will take the conference a while to adapt.
    @AtomicDawg hit it on the head. Everybody runs some variation of the spread. The Big 12 thinks it invented modern day offense -- it makes us feel better about how shitty the defenses are. Iowa State will try to grind you out a little bit with two and sometimes three tight ends, but that's not their base. K-State maybe a little bit too. But neither of them have the personnel to really play ball control keep away for 60 minutes. You will get your head kicked in playing like that in the Big 12 every week. That said, the conference has lost a lot of the original air raid guys and better offensive minds -- Holgorson, Kingsberry, Briles and even Leach if you want to go back that far. It's not as wide open as it used to be but nobody is going to line up and play smash mouth football any more.
    Kwats style will work in the big 12 as most teams are too dumb to run the ball. Every oc jacks at the thought of developing a qb. Iowa state and k state are probably the exception.

I think when you play the big 12 version of Stanford it won’t matter because your offense will still put up points. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Big 12 has changed ... lots of programs run the damn ball
  • Options
    Bevo14Bevo14 Member Posts: 8
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic First Comment

Emoterman said:

Better hire a DC quick to keep Mathieu VanSteenlandt in the boat.
    Great point. It’s gonna be difficult to maintain the best roster of PWOs if we don’t move quickly to shore up these relationships.
    You jest, but these pwos come in handy when none of the scholarship players know what the hell they're doing

HuskyJW said:

Coach K gets his shit pushed in against Oregon and USC in recruiting.....and he’s going to Texas?

Good f-ing luck

You’ve bought way too into assistant coaches mattering in recruiting. They do some, but Texas will recruit well because it’s really easy there. Kwat barely needs to recruit.
    On one hand there's some truth to this, but UW seems to me like a school that should be able to pull top 15 classes routinely and top 10 classes sporadically without handing out bags. Good NFL output, consistent record of success since Petersen got there, academics, etc.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Someone must have brought their strap-on and mickeys, because they have me pegged.

Thanks to Texas for making a good hire. I can tell that your administration is serious about football, they care. Over here we suffer from not caring, so that’s the most admired quality an athletic department can have. Y’all managed to avoid getting stuck in our? shitty conference, extorted your shitty conference, and were even willing to hire an Armenian and a Polack for a chance at success. I hope it doesn’t work out for you, except for beating Oklahoma. Fuck you for not joining our? shitty conference, you’ve doomed us all. Keep some guy named Ballz away from your clock tower, he’ll be pissed.
    I would have been thrilled joining your shitty conference and forsaking our shitty conference. If Larry Scott wasn't such a cunt about the Longhorn Network (joke that it is now -- boy, hindsight) we'd all be chugging beers and singing kumbaya together while mocking Clay Helton and raiding LA for recruits. An Armenian and a Polack? Psssh. That's nothing. We already tried the black guy thing and the mentally handicapped guy thing, neither of which worked out. Hiring a recovering (allegedly) alcoholic Armenian ain't shit to us. We are fucking desperate.

Hey - this guys okay, he can dilute his bleach.
    At Oregon we? did it backwards on the coaches.

USC is also trying the retard experiment, it’s working out great thus far.

• Options
    Sark just hired Jeff Choate to coach lbs. Looks like a Kwat /Peterman guy. Is he worth a shit?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Sark just hired Jeff Choate to coach lbs. Looks like a Kwat /Peterman guy. Is he worth a shit?

Yes - great hire
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,114
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    We? were hoping for him as Kwat’s replacement.

Welcome to the Mountain West, dwags.
  • Options

Y’all just hired a coveted Division I head coach as a position coach instead of Poops. You should be driving down the street honking the horn in your Cadillac with the horns on the front and firing your celebratory gun in the air.

Choate was the runner up for Boise State’s head coaching job and apparently everyone he’s ever coached will donate a kidney to him or will find a matching one through any means necessary. Maybe that’s why Sark hired him. For the kidney hookup.
    Oh, believe me, I was ecstatic without knowing shit about Choate. We had a full meltdown when we thought Stoops was coming. Our bmds had to get involved and tell the AD how shit goes. Hopefully that's the last intervention we have to have with Sark. After that debacle, Sark could have hired a serial killer and we would have been cool with it. This seems like he fell ass backwards into a great coach and perfect fit.
  • Options
    I take no pleasure picking through your bones. Taking multiple coaches from Bama including their best recruiter in Texas with his stripper girlfriend and her pet monkey? All day long, but you guys deserve better.

I also can't begin to describe how much disdain Texas fans have for Mike Stoops. It's not just that he's a meathead who throws sideline temper tantrums, he is a vile human being and generally a giant piece of shit. Not to mention a terrible coach.

One other unrelated thing... What is with the question mark after we? and our? around here?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Bread said:

Nope, rubbish. that's why Petersen banished him to Montana State. Looks like Sark has started drinking again. Better get on the phone with everyone you know and put an end to this before Texas is doomed.
    POTW
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I think the we? mocks people who who are gay enough to talk as if they are on the team. I don’t remember the specific origin.

As far as picking through bones, that’s college football. Fuck or be fucked. I had plenty of pity for Cal fans when we? ripped Tosh from them, scattering 5 stars to and fro.

Don’t know if I speak for many here, but I intuitively pull for teams like Texas, Michigan, and Nebraska. The reasons are obvious. We should be fucking. And when we don’t fuck it’s for self-inflicted reasons. Meanwhile, the nouveau riche usurpers like Baylor, TCU, and Oregon wave around their shiny new store bought dicks and sully this great sport I love.

Sully, I say!!

Jim Mora was the coach at UCLA but referred to uw as we when they hired Petersen on the record in an interview. The Bruin press responded with “we?” When he told them piss off because he was a uw alum and could say whatever he wants.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,606
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    We should hire Mora. He's looking good again.