Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Chump Effect

124»

Comments

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,100 Standard Supporter
    Or choose another path like doing well in school and earning a scholarship or going to one of the service academies. Relative went service academy did very well there and is going onto training for advanced fighters. A number of guys I worked with went part time and earned degrees including masters and a couple PhD's Many ways to skin the cat without destroying your life. Going four years to party and getting a degree that is worthless is a recipe for misery.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Required “free” College soon to follow?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958
    edited November 2020

My issue with it is that this doesn't solve anything without first putting in policies that make it clear that all of this was a bad mistake

It seems to be conspicuously missing. No one is saying if you need relief it's because you clearly did a bad thing. Its more like "you did right but the world is evil"

Part of it is that for 2 generations now people have been brainwashed that if they go to a "good school" (no matter the debt, major etc) then they are entitled to a good job and life.
    The colleges, teachers, and people's own shitty parents (biggest culprit) are the enablers

That needs to end too.

Partially agree.

If you go to a "good school", and use that education to go make money, honestly, six figures of debt is nothing that early in life.

I speak from experience. I didn't go to LS at UPenn, at a time when tuition was about $20K a year, and they had given me $10k/year in free money. In the early 90s, I was afraid of, let's call it, $60k of debt. So I stayed here and graduated with zero debt. In the intervening time, I've pissed away $60k a few times on non-sense. I should have gone to Penn.

The other thing to remember is that the "good school" often allows you to study what is of actual intellectual interest to you. A friend's daughter was just profiled in one of those Sillicon Valley "Under 30 rising stars". Dartmouth AB History.

Sledog said:

Or choose another path like doing well in school and earning a scholarship or going to one of the service academies. Relative went service academy did very well there and is going onto training for advanced fighters. A number of guys I worked with went part time and earned degrees including masters and a couple PhD's Many ways to skin the cat without destroying your life. Going four years to party and getting a degree that is worthless is a recipe for misery.

Agree.
    SFGbob said:

If you really wanted to do something about the high cost of college you'd be calling for the complete elimination of a Federally backed student loan program. Weird how leftists never make the connection between the two.

Agree. It would immediately get rid of the bloated admin. costs these schools have. Christ Title IX alone is an entire department of people. Vice Chancellor of diversity, Dean of Fairness, Head of the Safe Space committee. They are bloated from an overhead standpoint. Make them compete in a free market sans the externality of gov't. subsidy and watch that level of management vanish and tuition come down.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852

My issue with it is that this doesn't solve anything without first putting in policies that make it clear that all of this was a bad mistake

It seems to be conspicuously missing. No one is saying if you need relief it's because you clearly did a bad thing. Its more like "you did right but the world is evil"

Part of it is that for 2 generations now people have been brainwashed that if they go to a "good school" (no matter the debt, major etc) then they are entitled to a good job and life.
    The colleges, teachers, and people's own shitty parents (biggest culprit) are the enablers

That needs to end too.

Partially agree.

If you go to a "good school", and use that education to go make money, honestly, six figures of debt is nothing that early in life.

I speak from experience. I didn't go to LS at UPenn, at a time when tuition was about $20K a year, and they had given me $10k/year in free money. In the early 90s, I was afraid of, let's call it, $60k of debt. So I stayed here and graduated with zero debt. In the intervening time, I've pissed away $60k a few times on non-sense. I should have gone to Penn.

The other thing to remember is that the "good school" often allows you to study what is of actual intellectual interest to you. A friend's daughter was just profiled in one of those Sillicon Valley "Under 30 rising stars". Dartmouth AB History.

Intellectual interest as a 20 year old is fucking stupid though. Get in and get the fuck out.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,358

That needs to end too.

Partially agree.

Intellectual interest as a 20 year old is fucking stupid though.
    Sad commentary on you. Not surprised though.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,012 Standard Supporter

That needs to end too.

Partially agree.

Intellectual interest as a 20 year old is fucking stupid though. Get in and get the fuck out.
    Sort of agree. But I have no desire to pay for a 20 year olds intellectual interest. Let the banks back in to fund student loans along with allowing for bankruptcy. There goes at least half the current student loans. Banks will finance an engineer or CPA. Won't touch an ethnic studies major.