Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Chump Effect

Comments

• Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,203 Swaye's Wigwam

There is no problem with student loans and tuition in this country. What there is a problem with is people making bad financial decisions, and doing so knowing full well what kind of payments they are going to have to make after graduating. These are the last people on the planet who deserves a bailout. If you fucked up, go file for bankruptcy or suck it up. You put yourself in this mess, now pull yourself out.

The government subsidizing the loans is the main cause of what has caused the cost to skyrocket. So yes there’s a problem there.

Some bad decisions made at a lot of levels, wonder what % of debtors learned how to calculate a basic ROI.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,100 Standard Supporter
    Bob_C said:

There is no problem with student loans and tuition in this country. What there is a problem with is people making bad financial decisions, and doing so knowing full well what kind of payments they are going to have to make after graduating. These are the last people on the planet who deserves a bailout. If you fucked up, go file for bankruptcy or suck it up. You put yourself in this mess, now pull yourself out.

The government subsidizing the loans is the main cause of what has caused the cost to skyrocket. So yes there’s a problem there.

Some bad decisions made at a lot of levels, wonder what % of debtors learned how to calculate a basic ROI.
    It's that so many choose a degree that has a 0% chance of getting them a good paying job.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,203 Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Bob_C said:

It's that so many choose a degree that has a 0% chance of getting them a good paying job.
    For sure. Also doing away with the bankruptcy protections for lenders would help clean this up as well. Would force the interest rates to much higher natural market levels if there was bigger risk in the lending. Would help to cripple the out of whack demand.

The living expenses being covered by loans is part of the issue too. I knew people that were getting like $7k/quarter in cash from the government when in-state tuition was like $1800/quarter and you could easily rent a room in the udistrict for like $300/month. So no need to have a job to help pay the bills while in school.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974
    Bob_C said:

Sure, that's a problem. But at the end of the day, there is no individual situation in which the person took on the problem themselves willingly and knowingly. Give me 98% of students and I can find better ways they should have spent their money.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974
    Sledog said:

Bob_C said:

Either that or they choose an expensive school for a major that doesn't require it.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958
    edited November 2020

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

There is nothing that came be done that won’t make some people mad. What a stupid argument.

I’m sympathetic. We spent a shitload of money sending three kids to college. There should be some recognition of that for people of moderate means who paid outrageous sums.
    I’m not convinced that the people saying we shouldn’t do it because they already paid, aren’t just right wingers who would oppose it regardless.

I do think there’s lot of people like you, who could support it but feel it’s unfair. And, for the record, it is unfair.

I don’t know what you mean by “recognition”. I would say by cancelling the debt we are acknowledging that the people before got a raw deal. I don’t think any kind of compensation is on the table because the right would scream about how are we going to pay for that and dems don’t have the courage to stand up to that nonsense.
    You won't answer because you're lightweight and a coward but why the fuck do you feel you have an entitlement to the labor of others for choices you made? Why should people who never attended college be paying for your student loan debt? Why should someone who went to Community College and then to a public school because they couldn't afford a private university be paying the student loan debt of someone who chose a private liberal arts school?

It's fucking outrageous that this is even being considered.
    You are damn right it is outrageous. Anyone who is dumb enough and lacks any common sense to spend 100K on an education that they could not afford will just make the same mistake again when they end up having kids. Seriously, why in the hell should the tax payers pay for poor decision making? We all have friends who's little spoiled darlings went to private schools and came out with worthless degrees. I have a customer who sent their son and daughter to Brown for degrees in education. They owe over 150K. Do the fucking math. Those debts will never get paid on a teachers salary. When they get to the administrative level they can maybe make a dent but that will most likely be 10-15 years down the road. Sorry but that is not my fault and I object to anyone expecting me to pay for that bad decision making. Here in GA they could have sent them to a state school and had tuition paid for by the lottery. They could have come out with a degree in education from UGA and had zero debt. We can't afford to pay for that kind of stupidity.

It is outrageous that rat leadership is even thinking about buying votes with my tax dollars and it going to really stupid people.
    If they owe over 150k, then they didn't demonstrate need to Brown or their parents had the means and didn't want to chip in. The Ivy League and other wealthy schools are typically pretty generous with free money. While I grant you that each school's "need" algorithm is different, generally speaking you don't need to go into great debt to attend the Ivy League (or equivalent) if you can get in and don't have the money.

https://www.brown.edu/about/administration/financial-aid/brown-promise-faqs

Also, there are myriad cirmunstances where loans can be forgiven or cancelled if you go into various public service careers.

https://www.brown.edu/about/administration/loans/repay-your-loans/cancellation-forgiveness

Lastly, call me elitist all you want, using an Ivy League school is not a great example. Those kids could turn that Ivy League diploma into a well-paying job any time they wish.

I agree with your main point. It is beyond outrageous.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958
    Sledog said:

There is nothing that came be done that won’t make some people mad. What a stupid argument.

There is nothing that needs to be done. You took out a loan! Repay the fucking loan!
    This. The most to-the-point post in the thread Sleddy.

It's that simple. Contract. Consideration. Mutual assent. Enforcement. Show me it was a contract of adhesion, or some other equitable argument that exists in English common law jurisprudence, and I'm all ears. But it's not likely.

Those loan papers are accompanied by MASSIVE amounts of disclosure, and the financial aid offices have counselors there to help you work through what you're about to do. This, from the same Brown website I linked to in the other post:

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,100 Standard Supporter
    Can they repo a degree in African dance theory?
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,395 Swaye's Wigwam

The Throbber has no problem with student loan restructuring. Put the English Lit majors to work re-building bridges, managing the forests, teaching inner city kids...whatever. Don't whine to me because your Women's Swahili Study degree gets you a job as a barista instead of pulling down big jack in tech.

Ain't no free lunch in this world. Bad choices mean consequences. Doesn't mean a lifetime of suck - but provide means to get out from under shitty choices and then stop making bad choices.

Life ain't that hard, folks.

This is already a thing. Most won't actually follow through on how many years it takes to get the forgiveness because IT'S HARD.
  • BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,837 Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

I’m sympathetic. We spent a shitload of money sending three kids to college. There should be some recognition of that for people of moderate means who paid outrageous sums.
    I’m not convinced that the people saying we shouldn’t do it because they already paid, aren’t just right wingers who would oppose it regardless.

I do think there’s lot of people like you, who could support it but feel it’s unfair. And, for the record, it is unfair.

I don’t know what you mean by “recognition”. I would say by cancelling the debt we are acknowledging that the people before got a raw deal. I don’t think any kind of compensation is on the table because the right would scream about how are we going to pay for that and dems don’t have the courage to stand up to that nonsense.
    You won't answer because you're lightweight and a coward but why the fuck do you feel you have an entitlement to the labor of others for choices you made? Why should people who never attended college be paying for your student loan debt? Why should someone who went to Community College and then to a public school because they couldn't afford a private university be paying the student loan debt of someone who chose a private liberal arts school?

It's fucking outrageous that this is even being considered.
    You are damn right it is outrageous. Anyone who is dumb enough and lacks any common sense to spend 100K on an education that they could not afford will just make the same mistake again when they end up having kids. Seriously, why in the hell should the tax payers pay for poor decision making? We all have friends who's little spoiled darlings went to private schools and came out with worthless degrees. I have a customer who sent their son and daughter to Brown for degrees in education. They owe over 150K. Do the fucking math. Those debts will never get paid on a teachers salary. When they get to the administrative level they can maybe make a dent but that will most likely be 10-15 years down the road. Sorry but that is not my fault and I object to anyone expecting me to pay for that bad decision making. Here in GA they could have sent them to a state school and had tuition paid for by the lottery. They could have come out with a degree in education from UGA and had zero debt. We can't afford to pay for that kind of stupidity.

It is outrageous that rat leadership is even thinking about buying votes with my tax dollars and it going to really stupid people.
    If they owe over 150k, then they didn't demonstrate need to Brown or their parents had the means and didn't want to chip in. The Ivy League and other wealthy schools are typically pretty generous with free money. While I grant you that each school's "need" algorithm is different, generally speaking you don't need to go into great debt to attend the Ivy League (or equivalent) if you can get in and don't have the money.

https://www.brown.edu/about/administration/financial-aid/brown-promise-faqs

Also, there are myriad cirmunstances where loans can be forgiven or cancelled if you go into various public service careers.

https://www.brown.edu/about/administration/loans/repay-your-loans/cancellation-forgiveness

Lastly, call me elitist all you want, using an Ivy League school is not a great example. Those kids could turn that Ivy League diploma into a well-paying job any time they wish.

I agree with your main point. It is beyond outrageous.
    Both parents are teachers. The education and room and board came to around 300K. The grants and assistance covered less than half. The rest is on the two kids. The kids are far left rats and not exactly socialized or normal looking (think Oregon's Governor ) so turning that Brown education into gold ain't happening anytime soon. We have friends who's daughter went to Radcliff. Valedictorian, minority, super attractive with a great personality. Radcliff offered very little assistance. She decided to go anyway and take on the debt. She still owes 75K, married a jerk and is now a stay at home mother. These are real life examples and no one should have to pay anything to these people and their debt. Those decisions were theirs, not mine.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,541 Standard Supporter

Try to keep up with actual adult conversation, dick.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Sledog said:

There is nothing that needs to be done. You took out a loan! Repay the fucking loan!
    This. The most to-the-point post in the thread Sleddy.

It's that simple. Contract. Consideration. Mutual assent. Enforcement. Show me it was a contract of adhesion, or some other equitable argument that exists in English common law jurisprudence, and I'm all ears. But it's not likely.

Those loan papers are accompanied by MASSIVE amounts of disclosure, and the financial aid offices have counselors there to help you work through what you're about to do. This, from the same Brown website I linked to in the other post:

Understood like three words in this post. Chinned it anyway.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963
    I'm in favor of forgiving student loans...only if the amount forgiven is the exact same amount the government is allowed to confiscated from the endowments from all of these universities.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    edited November 2020
    My issue with it is that this doesn't solve anything without first putting in policies that make it clear that all of this was a bad mistake

It seems to be conspicuously missing. No one is saying if you need relief it's because you clearly did a bad thing. Its more like "you did right but the world is evil"

Part of it is that for 2 generations now people have been brainwashed that if they go to a "good school" (no matter the debt, major etc) then they are entitled to a good job and life.
    The colleges, teachers, and people's own shitty parents (biggest culprit) are the enablers

That needs to end too.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,520 Founders Club
    College costs have skyrocketed over the past 20 years. That's the issue. I agree that if you major in transgender studies and get bent out of shape over having to work at Starphucks for $12.25 an hour, you bear some responsibility. It doesn't change the fact that there used to be an effort and understanding that state schools ought to be affordable for middle class families.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852

College costs have skyrocketed over the past 20 years. That's the issue. I agree that if you major in transgender studies and get bent out of shape over having to work at Starphucks for $12.25 an hour, you bear some responsibility. It doesn't change the fact that there used to be an effort and understanding that state schools ought to be affordable for middle class families.

But lots of these middle class families are sending their kids to out of state and private schools which is outrageous
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942
    edited November 2020

Then let the states subsidize their citizens. It shouldn't fall on the Federal government to bail these people out.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    defund the online and ancillary colleges yesterday.

Schools like UW can fuck around with weird programs because they also have top notch medical, computer science, reputable business school, great law school, etc.
    Kids can't make the grade in engineering there and transfer elsewhere and thrive. There's still real world practicality on that campus, even if a lot of the teachers and admins are nuts.

The online and ancillary schools just have nothing but shit, and are still able to charge a boatload to contribute to this problem.

Online schools specifically are an absolute sham. I worked for one. The people who run those are con artists of the highest caliber.