Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ginsberg Sells the Couch

Comments

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,924
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Upset? Leftards lie and love to be lied to. I enjoy setting out the facts and then having the proudly ignorant ignore them. Why would someone put "knowledge" into their Tug handle and then go off the rails when dealing with some basic facts? That seems more like someone who is upset.
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,352
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Is Mitch McConnel a hypocrite? Um, fuck yes. They are almost all trash ass people. Never trust any of them. That said, winners win. I think the GOP shoving through a conservative probably hurts Trump's reelection chances, as it will energize the Dems base in a BIGLY way, but, a 6-3 majority (let's face it it's really 5-4 because Roberts is a turd) might be worth 4 years of Corn Pop shitting himself in the White House. 5.5-3.5 SCOTUS for a generation is probably a bigger deal then anything that happens the next 4 years.

Also, the crying from the left (and partially justified tbh) will be EPIC! This is must see TV. I mean fuck me, this election just got Thunderdome level exciting.

Do it Mitch. Do it.

p.s. If Susan Collins fucks us here, she will rot in fiery RINO hell with McCain and that Mormon loser...

edit: @CFetters_Nacho_Lover just sent me a twat where Murkowski has already bitched out, and Collins and Grassly are wavering. So, it appears nothing has changed with the GOP. Same cuck losers they have always been.

I dont really find pushing through a nomination particularly hypocritical.

Anyone who thinks that unwritten rules ever mattered in the Senate is retarded. The "its an election year" was always an unneeded pussy excuse instead of just saying "elections have consequence" and doing exactly what the power provided.

Push the vote, the reward is so much more than any of the possible negatives.

Collins, Murkowski, Romeny, Grassly... only need one plus a pence tie break.
    Yup,and read this and agree...

"But McConnell said not to confirm a judge prior to an election."

Yes, McConnell (and others) presented a version of this incredibly stupid argument several years back. He did it to save face. Albeit, his version of the argument was in the context of a lame duck presidency where the Senate was the opposing party, but never the less, it wasn't an argument I ever believed in. It was never logical, it never adhered to my principles, it wasn't necessary, and I certainly don't believe in applying it right now. Neither should you. Why anyone believed his silly argument is beyond me. So sure, call him a liar. That may be fair, but when you're done with that, let's explore the REAL argument...

ANY sitting president has a constitutional right to TRY and nominate someone he/she hopes the Senate would confirm, but the Senate ALSO has the constitutional right to reject any nominee they don't wish to confirm. It is a negotiation process. If there exists opposing parties on each side of the table (as was the case when Obama nominated Merrick Garland), then perhaps a nominee doesn't advance. It is THAT simple and never needed to be any more complicated than that.

When two opposing interests each control half the process, it makes perfect sense that agreement might not occur. In said scenario, the political solution of an election (which redefines those weilding power) increases the odds of resolving the standoff, as the two governing bodies (executive and senate) may be more likely to agree after they've been altered by the electorate. But again, even that doesn't guarantee confirmation. Kavanaugh, for example, came extremely close to not being confirmed. That wouldn't have meant that the senate was guilty of "refusing to give Trump what Trump was owed," which is how many people characterized the Merrick Garland debacle. Rather, it would have meant that Trump would simply have to pick a different nominee - one who was more palatable to the majority of the Senate. THAT is how negotiations work. Nothing about this is unnatural or unjust. Merrick simply didn't have the support of the Senate. Obama could have chosen a different pick. He was also able to gamble on holding off to see if his political party would win more power in the upcoming election. Both sides took the gamble. One side lost. There's nothing about that which is inherently immoral.

The only thing about this situation which was immoral was that McConnell publicly crafted a silly narrative to act as a cover story. Arguing that we shouldn't vote for a nominee before an election was never a sound argument. Call him a hypocrite if you want, but there was nothing unjust about Garland NOT getting confirmed and there is nothing unjust about us trying to confirm a new justice before political power changes. The Senate is not required to like a nominee. It's also not required to wait until after an election.

Let the negotiation process begin.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Goduckies said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Is Mitch McConnel a hypocrite? Um, fuck yes. They are almost all trash ass people. Never trust any of them. That said, winners win. I think the GOP shoving through a conservative probably hurts Trump's reelection chances, as it will energize the Dems base in a BIGLY way, but, a 6-3 majority (let's face it it's really 5-4 because Roberts is a turd) might be worth 4 years of Corn Pop shitting himself in the White House. 5.5-3.5 SCOTUS for a generation is probably a bigger deal then anything that happens the next 4 years.

Also, the crying from the left (and partially justified tbh) will be EPIC! This is must see TV. I mean fuck me, this election just got Thunderdome level exciting.

Do it Mitch. Do it.

p.s. If Susan Collins fucks us here, she will rot in fiery RINO hell with McCain and that Mormon loser...

edit: @CFetters_Nacho_Lover just sent me a twat where Murkowski has already bitched out, and Collins and Grassly are wavering. So, it appears nothing has changed with the GOP. Same cuck losers they have always been.

I dont really find pushing through a nomination particularly hypocritical.

Anyone who thinks that unwritten rules ever mattered in the Senate is retarded. The "its an election year" was always an unneeded pussy excuse instead of just saying "elections have consequence" and doing exactly what the power provided.

Push the vote, the reward is so much more than any of the possible negatives.

Collins, Murkowski, Romeny, Grassly... only need one plus a pence tie break.
    Yup,and read this and agree...

"But McConnell said not to confirm a judge prior to an election."

Yes, McConnell (and others) presented a version of this incredibly stupid argument several years back. He did it to save face. Albeit, his version of the argument was in the context of a lame duck presidency where the Senate was the opposing party, but never the less, it wasn't an argument I ever believed in. It was never logical, it never adhered to my principles, it wasn't necessary, and I certainly don't believe in applying it right now. Neither should you. Why anyone believed his silly argument is beyond me. So sure, call him a liar. That may be fair, but when you're done with that, let's explore the REAL argument...

ANY sitting president has a constitutional right to TRY and nominate someone he/she hopes the Senate would confirm, but the Senate ALSO has the constitutional right to reject any nominee they don't wish to confirm. It is a negotiation process. If there exists opposing parties on each side of the table (as was the case when Obama nominated Merrick Garland), then perhaps a nominee doesn't advance. It is THAT simple and never needed to be any more complicated than that.

When two opposing interests each control half the process, it makes perfect sense that agreement might not occur. In said scenario, the political solution of an election (which redefines those weilding power) increases the odds of resolving the standoff, as the two governing bodies (executive and senate) may be more likely to agree after they've been altered by the electorate. But again, even that doesn't guarantee confirmation. Kavanaugh, for example, came extremely close to not being confirmed. That wouldn't have meant that the senate was guilty of "refusing to give Trump what Trump was owed," which is how many people characterized the Merrick Garland debacle. Rather, it would have meant that Trump would simply have to pick a different nominee - one who was more palatable to the majority of the Senate. THAT is how negotiations work. Nothing about this is unnatural or unjust. Merrick simply didn't have the support of the Senate. Obama could have chosen a different pick. He was also able to gamble on holding off to see if his political party would win more power in the upcoming election. Both sides took the gamble. One side lost. There's nothing about that which is inherently immoral.

The only thing about this situation which was immoral was that McConnell publicly crafted a silly narrative to act as a cover story. Arguing that we shouldn't vote for a nominee before an election was never a sound argument. Call him a hypocrite if you want, but there was nothing unjust about Garland NOT getting confirmed and there is nothing unjust about us trying to confirm a new justice before political power changes. The Senate is not required to like a nominee. It's also not required to wait until after an election.

Let the negotiation process begin.
    TLDR translation: Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,809
    Trump must appoint because we need a fully empaneled supreme court as this will likely be a contested election.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Upset? Leftards lie and love to be lied to. I enjoy setting out the facts and then having the proudly ignorant ignore them. Why would someone put "knowledge" into their Tug handle and then go off the rails when dealing with some basic facts? That seems more like someone who is upset.

I never refuted any of your claims. I said you seem upset and you are confirming my take. You're seeing leftist ghosts all around you man.
    He's trying desperately to find some grand moral high ground here, rather than just accepting the power play.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,924
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    I accept the power play. McConnell was an idiot for pretending otherwise. Just follow the Constitution. President nominates and the Senate either approves or not. No Constitutional requirement for a vote. The Constitution is the high moral ground. What I objected to was the denial that dems try to steal elections.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    We need more judges on SCOTUS that these harpies will approve.

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Obama agrees that Trump should put forth a nominee for the Senate to consider.

The Senate should follow his advice.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    edited September 2020
    The leftists are a bunch of shit talking noon ballers with underwear hanging out of their gym shorts.

Show up at open run and run that smack.

Then wait your turn to get back on the court. Forever.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

We need more judges on SCOTUS that these harpies will approve.

The worst part is that all the gen x and late millennial spinsters are just going to get worse.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

Trump needs to appoint tomorrow. They've propped her up for years to prevent him getting to appoint.

No shit?