Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

RIP Civil War

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The unpopularity of my position is not lost on me yet it is not devoid of serious scholarship on the issue. It stems from the evaluation of using a ground war to solve societal differences which have sewn the seeds of the turmoil which exists at present. It's not unreasonable to question whether Lincoln's war was the correct action to eliminate the obviously odious institution of slavery and its strong foothold in the southern (albeit it plantation owners were a very small minority of the southern population - not excusing it but it is not factual the a substantial number of them were slave-owners regardless of whether it was a supported position) institutions. A war on such scale should have been the last resort for the elimination of state approved slavery and the fact that the majority of all other countries ended slavery without a bloody conflict on this scale should be the only proof necessary to make one skeptical.

I agree war was not the preferable route. Lincoln would agree war was not the preferable route.

But war was never Lincoln's plan to free the slaves. He was forced into it by the secession of the states combined with the southern attack on federal forces.

Now we can argue he shouldn't have declared war regardless, but IMO at that point the south more than had it coming.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2020

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Not a joke, did Great Britain not end slavery in a similar manner avoiding an obviously generationally divisive war? I’m certain there are nuances to the differences between the US situation and theirs however an all out war was probably the worst possible solution to the problem of slavery in North America.

The issue was not that buying the slaves' freedom never occurred to anyone.

And "forcing incompatible cultures to coexist in the same region"?
    Yes, bring the former slaves to the north where there would have a been a far easier transition to normalcy given social milieu of the time.
    https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/exclusion_laws/#.XvZX6G5Fw0Q
    Apples and oranges.

The comparative reference was the contemporaneous climate in the south.
    The South being the place where these newly emancipated people had lived all their lives. Isn't your thought just Liberia Lite?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    HHusky said:

Why do people even think it has anything to do with the American Civil war? A civil war is basically a war between citizens of the same country/state?

This decision is both arrogant and ignorant

You’re late to 2020?
    Everyday is a new low. Next thing someone will have to apologize fro using the word “niggardly”.. oh wait, that’s happened already
    I'm a niggard.
    Niggard please
  • Options

The unpopularity of my position is not lost on me yet it is not devoid of serious scholarship on the issue. It stems from the evaluation of using a ground war to solve societal differences which have sewn the seeds of the turmoil which exists at present. It's not unreasonable to question whether Lincoln's war was the correct action to eliminate the obviously odious institution of slavery and its strong foothold in the southern (albeit it plantation owners were a very small minority of the southern population - not excusing it but it is not factual the a substantial number of them were slave-owners regardless of whether it was a supported position) institutions. A war on such scale should have been the last resort for the elimination of state approved slavery and the fact that the majority of all other countries ended slavery without a bloody conflict on this scale should be the only proof necessary to make one skeptical.

In the momentous step which our State [Mississippi] has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

"Lincoln's War"
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,026
    I'm sure the Romans and English probably owe me reparations! Fork it over!
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

I agree war was not the preferable route. Lincoln would agree war was not the preferable route.

But war was never Lincoln's plan to free the slaves. He was forced into it by the secession of the states combined with the southern attack on federal forces.

Now we can argue he shouldn't have declared war regardless, but IMO at that point the south more than had it coming.
    Agreed. But succession should have been allowed and the northern states do anything they, at a personal level, to bring slaves to their rightful freedoms

I have the exact same opinion of every other war, notably Enduring/Iraqi Freedom of which I was a part of, as I do of the Civil War. If you feel strongly about the issue please pick up your weapon and volunteer to fight but do not throw an entire society of mixed views and opinions to fight under the auspices of a collective value. It’s counterproductive at best.
  • Options
    That in this free government *all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights* [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states.

Texas wants what's best for everybody!
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Irish?

It figures.
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    HHusky said:

In the momentous step which our State [Mississippi] has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

"Lincoln's War"
    Correct attribution but economically devoid as the southern actual racists did not understand the infeasibility of their positions. Actual racist positions. Holds the same weight as arguments of American colonialists purposely providing smallpox infected blankets long before the germ theory of disease.
  • Options

HHusky said:

"Lincoln's War"
    Correct attribution but economically devoid as the southern actual racists did not understand the infeasibility of their positions. Actual racist positions. Holds the same weight as arguments of American colonialists purposely providing smallpox infected blankets long before the germ theory of disease.
    Again, "a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization."

How do you price that?
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Irish?

It figures.
    Maybe a little. More Scot. Half W.O.P. Did they enslave you Polack's? If the Romans probably did.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,021
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    You seem to be ignoring some basic issues like human nature. Throughout human history violence has been used to settle intractable differences. Sometimes its a one banana and two monkeys type of thing. I want what you have and I'm going to take it. You either give it up or fight over it. It doesn't take two to fight. It just takes one and then a decision has to be made. You think the Germans and Japanese didn't regret starting World War II? Turned out pretty badly for them. A peaceful solution is always preferable if it is a solution for both sides. No slavery wasn't a solution for the South. Should have been but humans make bad decisions.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Irish?

It figures.
    Maybe a little. More Scot. Half W.O.P. Did they enslave you Polack's? If the Romans probably did.
    Sounds like you have something against the Polls.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Irish?

It figures.
    Sounds like you have something against the Polls.
    Nope.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2020
    next thing apple cup will too offensive because of the latinos have to pick them in WA
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

next thing apple cup will too offensive because of the latinos have to pick them in WA

Have to? I say get to.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

It wasn't a war fought to perpetuate slavery, it was a war fought to free the fucking slaves. Which it did, incidentally.

The Civil War has a much better racial connotation than say, the name Oregon or Oregon State.

SoFuckingIrritating.gif

It was because the South didn't feel they would have a voice in the union anymore. It wasn't fought over slavery.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    haie said:

dnc said:

It wasn't a war fought to perpetuate slavery, it was a war fought to free the fucking slaves. Which it did, incidentally.

The Civil War has a much better racial connotation than say, the name Oregon or Oregon State.

SoFuckingIrritating.gif

It was because the South didn't feel they would have a voice in the union anymore. It wasn't fought over slavery.
    Half truth. Noble, "lost cause" myth.

The chief concern they had regarding not having a voice was the threat to the institution of slavery. Each state made a proclamation on their reasons for leaving. You can find those statement online. Why not believe them?
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited June 2020
    Can’t we just all be friends and understand that wars, especially civil wars are complex and multi faceted events that are difficult to pinpoint to just one singular cause or event, evenmoreso when trying to take into account the specific motivations of the general masses within those battling groups?

How many wars, other than the Trojan war for some fine demigod snatch, can be boiled down to entire armies being motivated by one singular issue?