Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

RIP Civil War

Comments

• Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited June 2020

dnc said:

It wasn't a war fought to perpetuate slavery, it was a war fought to free the fucking slaves. Which it did, incidentally.

The Civil War has a much better racial connotation than say, the name Oregon or Oregon State.

SoFuckingIrritating.gif

When they came for the Robert E. Lee statues I said nothing. Because he was technically a traitor and a loser, so fuck him.

But this is just pants-on-head silly. The Civil War ushered in the single greatest piece of human rights advancement this country has seen. Are we no longer celebrating that?
    Or could have just purchased the slaves and freed them without killing hundreds of thousands and forcing incompatible cultures to coexist in the same region.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

It wasn't a war fought to perpetuate slavery, it was a war fought to free the fucking slaves. Which it did, incidentally.

The Civil War has a much better racial connotation than say, the name Oregon or Oregon State.

SoFuckingIrritating.gif

When they came for the Robert E. Lee statues I said nothing. Because he was technically a traitor and a loser, so fuck him.

But this is just pants-on-head silly. The Civil War ushered in the single greatest piece of human rights advancement this country has seen. Are we no longer celebrating that?
    Or could have just purchased the slaves and freed them without killing hundreds of thousands and forcing incompatible cultures to coexist in the same region.
    Seriously? I don't get the joke, if it is one.
  • Options
    And the 1860s war was not actually a “civil” war but rather one of revolution. Civil wars are fought to take control of the established government control of a territory. This was succession to establish a new political system in a defined geographical area.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It was the put down of an insurrection.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,026
    edited June 2020
    Calling it the civil war will remind everyone that it was democrats that were slavers and fought freeing them. That's why all of this is being erased. It's all about the dems hiding their past and present.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Calling it the civil war will remind everyone that it was democrats that were slavers and fought freeing them. That's why all of this is being erased. It's all about the dems hiding their past and present.

Was there a time before your pot cracked?
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

And the 1860s war was not actually a “civil” war but rather one of revolution. Civil wars are fought to take control of the established government control of a territory. This was succession to establish a new political system in a defined geographical area.

Not really. It was a Civilian War directly because some citizens were trying to leave and create their own State of Jefferson instead of staying in the Cascade Cabal. I think.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,026
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Dem lefty heard from. Only response is name calling.

No wonder you suck in court!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Seriously? I don't get the joke, if it is one.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Dem lefty heard from. Only response is name calling.

No wonder you suck in court!
    Don't blame me. I told you to take the plea.
  • Options
    Not a joke, did Great Britain not end slavery in a similar manner avoiding an obviously generationally divisive war? I’m certain there are nuances to the differences between the US situation and theirs however an all out war was probably the worst possible solution to the problem of slavery in North America.
  • Options

Not a joke, did Great Britain not end slavery in a similar manner avoiding an obviously generationally divisive war? I’m certain there are nuances to the differences between the US situation and theirs however an all out war was probably the worst possible solution to the problem of slavery in North America.

The issue was not that buying the slaves' freedom never occurred to anyone.

And "forcing incompatible cultures to coexist in the same region"?
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Yes, bring the former slaves to the north where there would have a been a far easier transition to normalcy given social milieu of the time.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    He whiffed on a dead Van Hagar joke. It was sad!.
  • Options

HHusky said:

Yes, bring the former slaves to the north where there would have a been a far easier transition to normalcy given social milieu of the time.
    Uhhhhhh, no. Have you read any mid-19th Century US History?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Way more than nuanced. The vast majority of slaves were not stationed on the British isles. But in colonies. Also, African slaves are only a slice of Great Britain’s slave history.
  • Options

HHusky said:

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/exclusion_laws/#.XvZX6G5Fw0Q
  • Options
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/exclusion_laws/#.XvZX6G5Fw0Q
    Apples and oranges.

The comparative reference was the contemporaneous climate in the south.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    This is a great start, Hopefully UW examines is problematic iconography more too!

Purple should be eliminated as an acceptable representative color;

It was the color of European imperialistic Roman royalty (mostly White people) that participated in the subjugation and enslavement of millions of people around the modern world at the time. It promotes the ideology of the ruling class both as an ethno-centric state and classist rigid hierarchy so much so that even Queen Elizabeth the first (yet another white) outlawed anyone of her royal family from wearing purple during her rule.

This is enough of a problematic past, the color shouldnt be celebrated or cheered, it should be a reminder of the grim history of whites.

makes me sick

Dont even get me started on the European rape of native lands in the pursuit of gold.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The unpopularity of my position is not lost on me yet it is not devoid of serious scholarship on the issue. It stems from the evaluation of using a ground war to solve societal differences which have sewn the seeds of the turmoil which exists at present. It's not unreasonable to question whether Lincoln's war was the correct action to eliminate the obviously odious institution of slavery and its strong foothold in the southern (albeit it plantation owners were a very small minority of the southern population - not excusing it but it is not factual the a substantial number of them were slave-owners regardless of whether it was a supported position) institutions. A war on such scale should have been the last resort for the elimination of state approved slavery and the fact that the majority of all other countries ended slavery without a bloody conflict on this scale should be the only proof necessary to make one skeptical.