Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tevarua Tafiti, 2022 3* LB, Honolulu (Punahou), HI (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

uw does rank high, but the high ranking is because uw has a very solid medical school, which gets the most $$$ in research grants in the country. But there is nothing unique about a 4-year degree from uw. And I doubt many football players are in the medical program.

UW has more than just a solid med school. You're absolutely right about a bachelor's degree being no more valuable than a run of the mill degree from a directional school or branch campus though.

A BS or MS from high brow schools like Oregon State, Humboldt State, Colorado State, and even Idaho-Moscow have more prestige in my field than one from UW. No joke. Not that it really matters. Hiring decisions always come down to experience and interviews.
    Any high school kid who is serious about their education isn't choosing those schools over UW unless they can't get the money/scholarship to go to UW. Idaho will take you with a fucking 2.0, and beavlet...lol.

Fuck me for even touching this thread.
    And UW will take an athlete with that same 2.0.

You just don't get it. It's not about which school is harder to get into for the general student body. A kid with a 3.9 in HS who goes to the UW degree factory for their BS in biology or journalism or econ has no advantages, none, over a kid who stumbled into Idaho with their 2.5 and got the same degree.
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

“I’m closing my recruitment completely; this is the school I wanted and this has been my dream school since freshman year,” Tafiti said.

Stanford has been his dream school for two and a half years. Hard to beat that.

We were Morrison's dream school since he was like 8 years old lol
    No fucking way?!?!
    It's true!! He knew what he wanted before he had peach fuzz under his arms, nor was he affected by his big sister's influence.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2021
    chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

uw does rank high, but the high ranking is because uw has a very solid medical school, which gets the most $$$ in research grants in the country. But there is nothing unique about a 4-year degree from uw. And I doubt many football players are in the medical program.

UW has more than just a solid med school. You're absolutely right about a bachelor's degree being no more valuable than a run of the mill degree from a directional school or branch campus though.

A BS or MS from high brow schools like Oregon State, Humboldt State, Colorado State, and even Idaho-Moscow have more prestige in my field than one from UW. No joke. Not that it really matters. Hiring decisions always come down to experience and interviews.
    Any high school kid who is serious about their education isn't choosing those schools over UW unless they can't get the money/scholarship to go to UW. Idaho will take you with a fucking 2.0, and beavlet...lol.

You just don't get it. It's not about which school is harder to get into for the general student body. A kid with a 3.9 in HS who goes to the UW degree factory for their BS in biology or journalism or econ has no advantages, none, over a kid who stumbled into Idaho with their 2.5 and got the same degree.
    I'll take the UW degree instead, for a bunch of reasons. If the little Benny's and potatoe people loved their experience, more power to them. I will still make fun of them.

That being said they shouldn't be losing tons of recruits to Stanford like this, and if they do lose a kid then it should be pussy kids like fozzy who are happy to sit on the sidelines and and wash out of the league immediately.

Then again, Tree beats us down on the field too.
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I love how Fetters makes up an excuse about how Washington not being rated high enough academically is why we suck at recruiting now. Pete had no problem beating Stanford and ND for recruits. We just have a staff that is lazy and sucks at recruiting. It's really that simple.

Asa Turner

Husky legend
    Kyler Gordon and Trent Mcduffie say hi
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,570
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

I’m not sure I’d go that far, but the difference in bachelors degrees as stand alone paper between any of the large PNW state schools is marginal, at best.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doug said:

Jesus Fetters you are truly a idiot

The people on Dawgman who legitimately try to act like UW is the same level academically as ND, Cal, or Stanford because they saw UW was a top ten university on some bullshit ranking are the absolute worst. UW is a good school, but the doogs think it’s the same tier as an Ivy. Spoiler, it’s not.
    When you've lost Chris Fetters you've lost the war......

When he writes one of these posts or goes deeper into a article in the past it's b/c the natives have become so restless over there to the point they have to address it, or the data is so overwhelming (as in this case) that even Chris has to admit it and find a way to pivot and come up with the most PC pro UW angle he can find.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I love how Fetters makes up an excuse about how Washington not being rated high enough academically is why we suck at recruiting now. Pete had no problem beating Stanford and ND for recruits. We just have a staff that is lazy and sucks at recruiting. It's really that simple.

Asa Turner

Husky legend
    Now you're telling me Jimmy Lake can't evaluate either?

DOOMED.gif
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Petersen gets credit for anything good Jimmy gets blamed for anything bad

Saw this movie before from butthurt Lambo fans who hated winning the Rose Bowl
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Petersen gets credit for anything good Jimmy gets blamed for anything bad

Saw this movie before from butthurt Lambo fans who hated winning the Rose Bowl

You won't believe the damage Pete did to the program!
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

A UW degree carries weight in Seattle and Western WA
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

No it doesn’t. I work in the accounting industry in downtown Seattle. I was in management for awhile and did hiring (in Seattle and Portland office). Never once did where that degree came from matter. Seriously, think about what you are saying, because that would be fucking stupid. Sorry to bust your bubble. Its about the candidate.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dOgmaster said:

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

No it doesn’t. I work in the accounting industry in downtown Seattle. I was in management for awhile and did hiring (in Seattle and Portland office). Never once did where that degree came from matter. Seriously, think about what you are saying, because that would be fucking stupid. Sorry to bust your bubble. Its about the candidate.
    I would never hire someone with a UO degree, so, yes, it does matter where a degree comes from.
    It may matter to you. But I doubt that you would ever be in a position to hire someone. You hire the best candidate.

Why are husky fans so sensitive to how the real world works?! So you get a degree and then start thinking like a moron…. Thats a good way to represent uw.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dOgmaster said:

dOgmaster said:

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

I would never hire someone with a UO degree, so, yes, it does matter where a degree comes from.
    It may matter to you. But I doubt that you would ever be in a position to hire someone. You hire the best candidate.

Why are husky fans so sensitive to how the real world works?! So you get a degree and then start thinking like a moron…. Thats a good way to represent uw.
    Next time I post a job opening please do not bother applying.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

dOgmaster said:

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

Its cute that you guys think anyone gets past the first paragraph of a resume

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,944
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

dOgmaster said:

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

I agree with your comment but just so we’re both in agreeance on one thing; most duck alums were put on this earth to pump my gas.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

I'm sure it does to a small extent depending on the field and locale. In general though? An undergrad degree is treated like a necessary certification to meet basic qualifications and nothing more. When I evaluate candidates I look for it first thing, then I check the box and forget where they got their degree from before I go to the next question.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dOgmaster said:

chuck said:

haie said:

chuck said:

dOgmaster said:

This isnt really true

I think undergraduates degree matters for the first 2 years. After that it is just what it is
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Don't worry, Jimmy's on to this whole negative academic recruiting thing. He won't let any more get away without a fight