Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ryan Otton, 2022 4* TE, Olympia (Tumwater HS), WA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

is this kid better looking prospect than cade?

Higher rated yes. But most were very excited to get Cade as a recruit if they actually watched his film regardless of his rating.
    At least nobody is doing the typical bullshit where they say, “If Kwat can make ZTF into the best pass rusher in the country, imagine what he can do with better recruits!”

If little Otton is 90% as good as his brother, he’s a great TE. There aren’t many, of any, TE’s in CFB that are as good as Otton.
    This.

One of the biggest fallacies of the tbs crowd is to use this logic. I remember that exact comment about the 2016 defense. Regardless of how highly ranked the croots we brought in going forward were we are never getting a higher performing secondary than rapp, baker, king and jones. Our interior line was ridiculously deep that year as well but we heard the whole " we are just getting started bs about imagine all the higher rated guys we will get now."

When you are consistently producing all conference and all American level players that are drafted the first two days of the draft it's not getting any better. Now there were some glaring holes on that defense, but you're not getting better than the top performers.
    We have better corners right now than 2016 hth.
    Taylor is easily 6th best out of the 6. You could argue any order for the other 5.

Gotta go with 2016.
    McDuffie is better than Sid. Elijah is the 4th highest graded player in the country. Kyler Gordon. Keith Taylor. I’ll take this group 10/10.
    SMFJ was going to be the first corner taken before he blew his achilles. I have been in love with McDuffie since long before he committed here but I'm not giving him better than jr Sid as a true sophomore.

PFF grades are cute and semi interesting. Don't make actual arguments with them.

SMFJ, Budda Baker and Kevin King is a ridiculous starting trio.
    He’s Sidney with elite athletic testing, stop. This is major cap. McDuffie is much more explosive.
    No argument on any of that. That doesn't make him a better corner though.

It's not just about talent.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

Higher rated yes. But most were very excited to get Cade as a recruit if they actually watched his film regardless of his rating.
    At least nobody is doing the typical bullshit where they say, “If Kwat can make ZTF into the best pass rusher in the country, imagine what he can do with better recruits!”

If little Otton is 90% as good as his brother, he’s a great TE. There aren’t many, of any, TE’s in CFB that are as good as Otton.
    This.

One of the biggest fallacies of the tbs crowd is to use this logic. I remember that exact comment about the 2016 defense. Regardless of how highly ranked the croots we brought in going forward were we are never getting a higher performing secondary than rapp, baker, king and jones. Our interior line was ridiculously deep that year as well but we heard the whole " we are just getting started bs about imagine all the higher rated guys we will get now."

When you are consistently producing all conference and all American level players that are drafted the first two days of the draft it's not getting any better. Now there were some glaring holes on that defense, but you're not getting better than the top performers.
    Taylor is easily 6th best out of the 6. You could argue any order for the other 5.

Gotta go with 2016.
    McDuffie is better than Sid. Elijah is the 4th highest graded player in the country. Kyler Gordon. Keith Taylor. I’ll take this group 10/10.
    SMFJ was going to be the first corner taken before he blew his achilles. I have been in love with McDuffie since long before he committed here but I'm not giving him better than jr Sid as a true sophomore.

PFF grades are cute and semi interesting. Don't make actual arguments with them.

He’s Sidney with elite athletic testing, stop. This is major cap. McDuffie is much more explosive.

3 targets, 9 yards, 1 int.

He was a lot better than Sidney from the get go too. His is super patience and has mastered our techniques/coverages.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

This.

Gotta go with 2016.

He was a lot better than Sidney from the get go too. His is super patience and has mastered our techniques/coverages.
    You're not telling me anything I don't know about McDuffie. IFL the dude.

You're underrating SMFJ though.

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

FireCohen said:

This.

No the fallacious argument is the contrapositive. That because CP couldn’t match the success of his 2016 class the “leveling up” was bullshit.

The 2016 class involved as much luck as it did skill and was never gonna be repeated no matter how long CP coached at UW no matter how intently he focused on recruiting and identifying talent.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

This.

Gotta go with 2016.

Ok why is Sidney a better corner? Break it down for me
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

This.

Gotta go with 2016.

Ok why is Sidney a better corner? Break it down for me
    Sid didn't give up a single TD in 2016 in a full season against a much tougher schedule, without ZTF destroying QB's up front and with most opponents getting plundered and needing to pass virtually all game.

I think McDuffie is capable of that kind of production but he hasn't proven it yet.

BTW Sid had the 5th lowest target rate among P5 CB's that year so Trent isn't the only one who excelled at not even drawing the pass.

Again, SMFJ was headed to be the first CB picked in the draft as a true junior based on his production before the Pro Day injury. Trent has that kind of upside but it's far from guaranteed he'll be at that level or that he'd be the first one picked if he could come out this year.

I"m not bashing McDuffie at all IFL the dude and have since early on in his recruitment. I think he will ultimately be a better pro than Sid (even if Sid hadn't gotten hurt). That doesn't make him already better than Sid was at the end of his UW career.

But whichever way you go the gap is small. Like I said you could rank Trent, Sid, Molden, King and Budda in any order. But Taylor is a clear dropoff from that group and that's why 2016 was superior.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

This.

Gotta go with 2016.

rapp too. that secondary was fucking crazy
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This corner argument is a good one.

I also can't just grant that McDuffie > Jones. He ia a more impressive athlete, but that isn't a measure of performance. Jones only physical advantage was his length. I'm pretty sure he had a little height and several inches of wingspan on McDuffie. He wasn't as fast, quick or as steong as McDuffie either. He was good in all of those areas though. He was a fucking technician in coverage.

King >>>>>>>>>> Taylor

Baker = Molden

I guess I give the nod to 2016.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,305
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    McDuffie now has, what, 12 or 13 starts? I cannot recall seeing him ever miss a tackle. I'm not going to go right out and say he's better than such and such dude, as those comparisons are always apples to oranges anyway. I will say this:To this point in his career, he has been flawless. I cannot remember a mistake. He has never missed a tackle of which I'm aware, his coverage skills are insane, and his cross-field pursuit to stop that reverse against OSU was a play that would have also been made by a list of other players in this country shorter than my cock. He's like combining the best attributes of Budda Baker and Byron Murphy into one player. Whether that makes him better than SMFJ... I guess I don't care.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I like reading people argue about what elite CB is more elite in a way that makes the CB they aren’t arguing for sound like a scrub

How about both are fucking elite and we are lucky to have both at UW
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,893
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

This.

Ballz was all-in on the idea we wouldn't take another Sydney Jones because he wasn't elite enough for Washington 2.0.

"Player X is Sydney Jones but FASTER and TALLER" except Player X doesn't know how to play. Knowing how to play MATTERS.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

FireCohen said:

This.

Ballz was all-in on the idea we wouldn't take another Sydney Jones because he wasn't elite enough for Washington 2.0.

"Player X is Sydney Jones but FASTER and TALLER" except Player X doesn't know how to play. Knowing how to play MATTERS.
    McDuffie doesn’t know how to play? Huh?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

FireCohen said:

This.

Who is talking about Mcduffie?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

FireCohen said:

This.

This is the Ryan Otton thread. Who isn't talking about McDuffie!? Keep up, Man!
    Feel guilty for starting this shit. Just asked how Ryan compares to Cade, but then some decided it was good thread to hijack to Sid vs McDuffie discussion
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    FireCohen said:

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

FireCohen said:

This.

This is the Ryan Otton thread. Who isn't talking about McDuffie!? Keep up, Man!
    Feel guilty for starting this shit. Just asked how Ryan compares to Cade, but then some decided it was good thread to hijack to Sid vs McDuffie discussion
    #AOB