Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For fuck sakes, will one of you smarts convince me otherwise? Corona just a bunch-a-shit. Imagine

89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,454
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
this much FREE PUB for the flu and pneumonia? Cool little graphs on our screens giving us updates like it's the fucking NCAA tourney? Freaking the fuck out over every single flu/pneumonia death and going full blown ape shit when someone YOUNG sells the couch.

I say flu and pneumonia got this rather easily, say 59K to 2.2K.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/influenza-and-pneumonia-death-rate/?dataView=1&currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Pneumonia Deaths","sort":"desc"}

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,005
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    But the flu ain't what the MSM can use to hurt the country to damage Trump.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,564
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I just don't care about it. Open up th economy on April 12 like Trump is eyeing to do. End of April at the latest. Lock down New York if you need to. This is just silly with all the retards predicting doomsday. They're going to keep moving the goalposts now and say, "Yeah but next month it'll get unmanageable, then next month, then next month."

Now it's admittance it will die in summer but come back in the fall.

You just don't understand how an exponential equation works. You just want old people to die so you can go to Starbucks again.

Fuck off
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,009
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Here in Oregon the unions and dem politicians have succeeded in banning Oregon citizens from pumping their own gas. It's like a sacred thing. Well, no more for now. In order to put thousands of gas pumpers out of work we can now pump our own gas. We are saved.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    IT'S NOT THE FLU.

But if the tv media had a flu tote board like CNN does in a split screen where every flu death was reported telethon style I'd expect a pretty severe reaction.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

But if the tv media had a flu tote board like CNN does in a split screen where every flu death was reported telethon style I'd expect a pretty severe reaction.

if it's not the flu, what is it? right or wrong, most likely wrong, i've been thinking it's best described as a strain of flu.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You guysm are so dumb. It was clearly started in a secret NRA bio lab. Bidness is booming!!
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

if it's not the flu, what is it? right or wrong, most likely wrong, i've been thinking it's best described as a strain of flu.
    I don’t know. But I’ve seen 10000 posts on social media saying ITS NOT THE FLU!!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Influenza viruses and corona viruses are not related
    May not be related, but they appear to be very similar

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Similarities: COVID-19 and the Flu
    Symptoms

Both cause fever, cough, body aches and fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
    Can be mild or severe, even fatal in rare cases.
    Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
    A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).
    Both can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

Treatment

Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
    Both are treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected. Social distancing can limit the spread of COVID-19 in communities.

The BIG SCARY difference between the two is that there is no vaccine for COVID-19.

I'm not pretending to be some smart fuck but it seams to me it's a flu-like illness arguably more contagious than the flu. Telling me I'm wrong does not tell me anything.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This is just another stark example of why Utah has no business in the conference of champions.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
    89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Symptoms

Both cause fever, cough, body aches and fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
    Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
    A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).
    Both can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

Treatment

Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
    Both are treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected. Social distancing can limit the spread of COVID-19 in communities.

The BIG SCARY difference between the two is that there is no vaccine for COVID-19.

I'm not pretending to be some smart fuck but it seams to me it's a flu-like illness arguably more contagious than the flu. Telling me I'm wrong does not tell me anything.

You're knew here.

BW and H are really good at that.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Has anyone run across a non-political analysis of the difference between H1N1 outbreak & COVID?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,009
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Other than the flu and the Wuhan flu are both coronaviruses - they definitely are not related. Apparently they don't do science and numbers and sh*t at Cal.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Suppose the people who have died of Corona caught the flu instead. Would they have died anyway?
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    edited March 2020
    89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Symptoms

Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Treatment

Prevention

It tells you that you're wrong. Influenza and SARS-covid viruses are not related. They can cause similar symptoms, but that does not make them the same.

Covid-19 has a CFR rate probably ten times higher than the seasonal flu, and humans have no natural immunity to it (yet).

This is high school-level biology here. Nothing partisan or expert about it.

To your original question, no. Nobody here will convince you otherwise because you're predisposed to think that this is just the flu. Like most conservatives, you won't give a shit until it hits you personally. At this poont you've been affected by the disruption and not the virus itself, so you have the luxury of bitching about that. I actually hope that the virus doesn't affect you (or anybody else here) so the braintruste here can continue to gleefully complain that it's all a big lib/statist hoax, but sadly I fear that that will not be the case
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,148
    BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Symptoms

Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Treatment

Prevention

It tells you that you're wrong. Influenza and SARS-covid viruses are not related. They can cause similar symptoms, but that does not make them the same.

Covid-19 has a CFR rate probably ten times higher than the seasonal flu, and humans have no natural immunity to it (yet).

It’s like saying a hangover and a brain tumor are the same because they both cause headaches. I’m not saying they’re the same, so don’t twist.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Yo Ute

If what’s happening in NYC doesn’t convince anybody of the dangers of treating this in an indifferent manner, not sure what would

The biggest thing that I see with this is how much more spreadable COVID-19 is. Increasing the volume causes all kinds of problems.

The lack of immunity or tested treatments at this point is obviously a concern ... also why we need to buy time to let our scientists do their jobs

Every where in the country will have different peaks but we’ll get this under control by early summer ... then it becomes a race to get treatments/vaccines before the Fall/Winter as well as figuring out what kind of mitigation steps we can take to further buy time
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Symptoms

Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Treatment

Prevention

To your original question, no. Nobody here will convince you otherwise because you're predisposed to think that this is just the flu. Like most conservatives, you won't give a shit until it hits you personally. At this poont you've been affected by the disruption and not the virus itself, so you have the luxury of bitching about that. I actually hope that the virus doesn't affect you (or anybody else here) so the braintruste here can continue to gleefully complain that it's all a big lib/statist hoax, but sadly I fear that that will not be the case
    You're positing yourself as a bastion of compassion?

As I've said, the one glaring difference between the two is that some doctors are actually dying as a result of treating the infirm. That's unsettling in regards to the big picture.