Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Porking Lot Update (Crystal Mountain Edition)

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited January 2020 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
To all my HH skiing and boarding bros ( @PostGameOrangeSlices ) ...local weekend skiing in Cascades is officially FUBAR.

Headed out to Crystal Sun AM and was through the Claw by like 715AM. At 9AM sitting in bumper to bumper traffic about a half mile from the turn off 410 onto Crystal Mt Blvd, I finally gave up. I've been skiing Crystal for 20+ years now on the weekends including many peak season dates with great snow conditions and I've never seen this volume of traffic or the porking lots being full EVER. Crystal became part of the Ikon Pass this year and I think all the locals that bought them are trying to maximize their Crystal ski days to get the most bang for the buck. At any rate, it seems to have created unprecedented skier volume and ruined the experience.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

FTM

I did get to 4 x 4 a bit on some side roads to go make @YellowSnow which was fun.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm planning a ski trip to Mt. Baker the last week of March. I've never skied Baker. Really need to start looking at lodging options.

#csb

Make sure to hit up North Fork Brewing at some point.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm planning a ski trip to Mt. Baker the last week of March. I've never skied Baker. Really need to start looking at lodging options.

#csb

I need to hit Baker. I haven't been there in years, but in the 2.45 hrs I spent to get 50 minutes away from not being able to park at Crystal I could have made it to Baker already.

FUCK Crystal in the face though. Assholes.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Jesus christ I cant believe all lots filled. You expect that at Stevens not Crystal

Gotta get up fucking early for the rest of the season. Im definitely an Ikon pass abuser so it's partially my fault
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jesus christ I cant believe all lots filled. You expect that at Stevens not Crystal

Gotta get up fucking early for the rest of the season. Im definitely an Ikon pass abuser so it's partially my fault

All you Ikon cunts ruined Crystal. Seriously. Management is trying to deny this is the root cause of the issue, but it's created a massive uptick in demand. Exact same thing happened at various Utah resorts once they became Ikon pass.
  • Options
    Founders Club

All you Ikon cunts ruined Crystal. Seriously. Management is trying to deny this is the root cause of the issue, but it's created a massive uptick in demand. Exact same thing happened at various Utah resorts once they became Ikon pass.
    I now there are national park and private land issues to consider, but Crystal at least has a lot of runs and seems like there is room to expand. I know lifts to Queen and even King have been discussed.

Also seems like there is lots of places on the way up additional lots could be created

It will never be the same though
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I now there are national park and private land issues to consider, but Crystal at least has a lot of runs and seems like there is room to expand. I know lifts to Queen and even King have been discussed.

Also seems like there is lots of places on the way up additional lots could be created

It will never be the same though
    You can't sell a pass in a major metro area like Seattle offering unlimited skiing to Crystal along with 41 other resorts. The only way to prevent this from being a cluster would have been to cap Crytsal days on the Ikon to like 5. But Alterra would never do that because they want to sell the shit out of Ikon passes in WA. Total cash grab.
  • Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Meadows has days like that as well, but luckily there are a few more options so it never is too bad ... plus night skiing is way cheaper/less packed
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You motherfuckers are SPOILED. Lots in California fill up regularly super early and the runs are still shit. Nevermind the fucking traffic getting to and from there or all the fucking jamokes who can't drive on either a mountain or in snow.

Imagine trying to ski in Southern California. Beyond FS. You either drive up 395 to Mammoth or don't go at all.

• Options
    Founders Club

You motherfuckers are SPOILED. Lots in California fill up regularly super early and the runs are still shit. Nevermind the fucking traffic getting to and from there or all the fucking jamokes who can't drive on either a mountain or in snow.

Ive heard mammoth and heavenly/tahoe are amazing ?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Imagine trying to ski in Southern California. Beyond FS. You either drive up 395 to Mammoth or don't go at all.

Someone doesn't know about Mt. Baldy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I loved Mammoth in my childhood. I think it's still considered to be the shit during the right conditions. Like anything in CA I think it gets packed on the weekends.

P.S. I remember saying in another thread (before the UO game) that I thought Bachelor was better than Crystal. Guess what, Bruh, I was right!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

They are but that's about equivalent to another state from here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah, every once in a while they get dumped on. Big deal.

It's almost like you don't remember where I went to HS bruh.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Well all the snow in SC is boom or bust. No way around that.

Current trips are for putting the toddler on skis at an early age so it doesn't really matter anyways.

Actually had a lot of fun over the holidays bombing through the trees at Bear after said toddler went down for her nap. It's arid enough down here that if you catch the pow before it melts on a warm day it's actually great snow.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Well all the snow in SC is boom or bust. No way around that.

Current trips are for putting the toddler on skis at an early age so it doesn't really matter anyways.

Actually had a lot of fun over the holidays bombing through the trees at Bear after said toddler went down for her nap. It's arid enough down here that if you catch the pow before it melts on a warm day it's actually great snow.
    I used to know a guy who's parents owned Baldy back in the 60's and 70's. Sounds like they used to get more dumpage back in those years at Baldy.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Our 8th grade offered a Saturday bus to Crystal. 8 Saturday ski trips. The only time I've skied