Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New decade: The Next Roaring Twenties?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

That ship has sailed sadly for most of us. In my peer group there's hardly any single income, stay at home parent households.

I've personally found that this is still attainable, but most people in our? age demo aren't willing to sacrifice access to city living for their kids/family. Sure, it's difficult in Seattle. It's why my wife and kid (soon to be kids) moved to Kitsap County. We've found that the quality of living is higher on the other side of the water, too. Nobody deserves or has a right to have their cake and eat it, too, but 90% of Western Washington thinks that way these days. People want to live in the fun city, but then bitch because housing costs a lot and traffic sucks.

I think it would be a lot easier to run a family unit with 1 parent not working.

It is.
    It's all about how one earns a living. If you don't have to work in the city, then don't live there and have affordable real estate on 1 income.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,554
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

That ship has sailed sadly for most of us. In my peer group there's hardly any single income, stay at home parent households.

I've personally found that this is still attainable, but most people in our? age demo aren't willing to sacrifice access to city living for their kids/family. Sure, it's difficult in Seattle. It's why my wife and kid (soon to be kids) moved to Kitsap County. We've found that the quality of living is higher on the other side of the water, too. Nobody deserves or has a right to have their cake and eat it, too, but 90% of Western Washington thinks that way these days. People want to live in the fun city, but then bitch because housing costs a lot and traffic sucks.

I think it would be a lot easier to run a family unit with 1 parent not working.

It is.
    It's all about how one earns a living. If you don't have to work in the city, then don't live there and have affordable real estate on 1 income.
    You can get a jerb elsewhere, too. Doesn't have to be in downtown Seattle (or in WA State).

I actually work in the city. Take the ferry for commuting. Beats the hell out of an hour or more each way on I-5 to get to the overpriced suburbs.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,517
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

It is.
    This is the ABSOLUTE fucking truth.

Life is about choices and consequences, risk and reward. You want to live in one of the most expensive cities in these United States, go forth - but there's costs and benefits with that, one of which is most likely both parents working and paying the associated child care costs.

Fuck off people whining about how expensive it is in City XYZ. If you don't like it, LEAVE!

I feel very fortunate to not live in one of these "wonderful cities ".
    Most don't realize that their quality of life is shit when they have to plan a trip to the grocery store around "traffic".
    That's not living, it's existing.
    Unfortunately, it's all they have ever known .

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Blu82 said:

It is.
    This is the ABSOLUTE fucking truth.

Life is about choices and consequences, risk and reward. You want to live in one of the most expensive cities in these United States, go forth - but there's costs and benefits with that, one of which is most likely both parents working and paying the associated child care costs.

Fuck off people whining about how expensive it is in City XYZ. If you don't like it, LEAVE!

I feel very fortunate to not live in one of these "wonderful cities ".
    Most don't realize that their quality of life is shit when they have to plan a trip to the grocery store around "traffic".
    That's not living, it's existing.
    Unfortunately, it's all they have ever known .

But but....Mariners, garlic fries and restaurants.

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

I managed to keep my wife at home. Kids have turned out as they should. Worth all the work to keep her there.

Ditto. I actually managed to do it living on the east side. It wasn’t easy and many sacrifices were made. Now the girls are in college and it’s time to cash in my home equity and get the fuck out of this state. I just quit a corporate job and am doing contact work. I can do that from anywhere with a high speed internet connection.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,910
    USMChawk said:

Sledog said:

I managed to keep my wife at home. Kids have turned out as they should. Worth all the work to keep her there.

Ditto. I actually managed to do it living on the east side. It wasn’t easy and many sacrifices were made. Now the girls are in college and it’s time to cash in my home equity and get the fuck out of this state. I just quit a corporate job and am doing contact work. I can do that from anywhere with a high speed internet connection.
    That's what I did. Cali real estate at least appreciates well! I'm a happy camper!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

dnc said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Tug Commies aren't going to like this.

Under the presidency of Donald Trump, America has gone from being one-fifth of the world’s economy to one-fourth — in three short years.

Economic events of today’s Trump economy will shape the perceptions of today’s newest Americans:

The economy has added 6 million jobs in the past three years.
    Unemployment rate dropped to 3.6 percent, the lowest level in 50 years.
    Economic growth rate is 2.1 percent. The ideal growth rate is between 2-3 percent.
    Median household income has reached $65,976 – an all-time high and up more than 8 percent in 2019 dollars under the Trump presidency
    Middle-class incomes, after adjusting for inflation, have surged by $5,003 since Donald Trump became president in January 2017.
    The poverty rate and food stamp rolls declined 15 percent.
    Stock prices rose: The S&P 500 index was up 29.8 percent.
    The number of murders dropped 6.9%.
    The FBI’s annual crime report, shows violent crime rate dropping 4.6 percent since President Trump took office, reversing an uptick in violent crime that occurred under the last two years of President Barack Obama.

What Cons used to call shitty growth is now celebrated. Some of us pointed out that 2-3% was good back when the black fella was President. But you girls aren’t hypocrites, of course.

The problem is that you can’t be anti-immigrant, have historically low birth rates and labor shortages, and also expect growth to continue in the sweet spot.
    Obama averaged under 1% for 8 years

You want to crown his ass then crown it but he was who we said he was

Trump is at 2% and no reason for it not to keep climbing as the deregulation and tax cuts continue their work

Obama didn't do shit and sucked. Get over it

Good economic policy has nothing to do with race unless you're a racist like @HHusky
    Obama took office in 2009. The lowest US growth rate thereafter was 1.6% in 2011, which is very close to forecasts of US growth in 2020. And I’ve always given you credit Race: your irrational hatred of Obama is not because he’s black. Can’t say the same about everyone here.
    Obama was milquetoast when it came to private sector and heavy handed on regulation. His policies absolutely dragged the economy. He believed in tax and spend as dems do. Big G at the cost of C & I since you believe in economics supposedly. I'll give him that he didn't completely wreck things like Warren or Sanders would but his entire premise (which you share) is managed decline with the government doing the managing.

When president's parties control Congress and pass major legislation there absolutely are economic ramifications, see tax cuts vs. Obamacare. Sure, there's all kinds of mitigating factors but you like to cherry pick what you do and don't contextualize.
    You don’t have to have a decline. Working people still want in and you can incentivize people to have more kids.
    Don't tell me tell the dems. Also, maybe just have government get the fuck out of the way.
    You’re an open borders advocate? How did the government stop millennials from reproducing?
    Massive government overregulation of childcare has made it ultra expensive to have children. Childcare costs more than a mortgage even in ultra expensive locations and doesn't get much cheaper in the boonies. Axe @YellowSnow or @dnc or anyone with young kids. It's a universal problem for my generation.
    Wifey's a mostly stay at home madre (she still works 8 hours a week at her old job) so we're not super familiar with the high costs of childcare. It definitely amazes me how much people spend on it though.
    And if childcare wasn't so expensive your wife or others in a similar situation might opt to use more of it. That might allow them to make more money. Which obviously impacts working and middle class families the most.

It's pretty crazy out here in California. I ran the ROI and you basically have to make more than $60k+ per parent a year to justify even going to work at all. Nevermind any kind of stress or marginal utility etc. That doesn't sound like a lot but when you consider where median wages are it is. If it wasn't for all of the existing subsidies to lower income households for childcare you'd hear the Left banging the drum on this too. Per usual though their solution would be more government handouts for votes. Never a market based approach to drive down costs to the consumer(bc classic economics right?)

Hilariously, even @BearsWiin is a stay at home dad while arguing that childcare isn't over regulated. Nevermind that he and H have at best a passing familiarity with the industry, the regulations, or what a middle income family deals with, they know the answer already based on their ideology. Childcare providers are just out to squeeze a buck and have no inherent interest in the welfare of children under their care.
    I don't have the "inventory" (shout out to @creepycoug since I am using this term moar) to make an informed comment on how regs affect child care costs. I think it's common sense though that an infant room shouldn't have more that 4:1 and 3:1 is preferred.

Up in our neck of the woods, they have to pay about $17 or $18 to start with full medical just to find decent help. The lead teacher in each class is probably making in the low $20s per hour.
    Even more common sense that it should be a parent with the kids all day. The consumer of daycare should be able to decide what is best for their family and their particular circumstance. But of course the arrogant elitists know what's best for everyone and their situation.
    Is it sad? There aren’t really a lot of kids playing in the neighborhood anymore. The kids and their friends are in school, preschool or daycare.
    I loved a lot of things about having small kids, but who would want to be that 1 parent not working?
    My wife.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

My mother was a college graduate who went to graduate school in Detroit to learn how to be a mom

And she was damn good at it.

When we grew up she went back to UW and became a librarian. My dad left. Back then "no wife of mine is going to work" was a thing

So we don't need to go back to that but plenty of women would like the option to stay home. And some men. NTTIAWWT

I remember when daycare started. Naturally the left, who ruins everything, said its fine - let the state raise your kid. China does. What could go wrong?

The state isn’t operating the day cares we’ve been discussing.
    Regulation is running the center

And the state is running the schools they attend earlier in the day

The less time with the parents the better comrade.
    In some cases, undoubtedly the less time spent with the parents the better. All businesses and schools are regulated by the state. That’s not a recent development.
    I those cases, the kid is fucked either way. Gotta go home sometime.
  • Options

My wife has worked periodically over the years since the kids left. Never see a dime of it but it does slow down the giant sucking sound from my wallet when she is working

Her money

Mine is our money

This.

My wife gave up her career, so called, at the end of my second year in law school and stayed home for 20+ years. She's working now to (1) get her out of the house and give her a sense of purpose now that her daughters are building their own lives, and (2) stem that incredible suction from our bank account. It's less about whatever $$ she earns (I have no idea or care) and more about her having less down time to go buy shit we don't need. Fuck that woman can spend $$.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,604
    The only thing I like about living in a cool place is hot girls.
    Why the fuck someone would want to live in an expensive place with no hot girls beats the hell out of me.

Although I say that as I'm casually talking with some companies in the bay area right now lol
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

dnc said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Under the presidency of Donald Trump, America has gone from being one-fifth of the world’s economy to one-fourth — in three short years.

Economic events of today’s Trump economy will shape the perceptions of today’s newest Americans:

Economic growth rate is 2.1 percent. The ideal growth rate is between 2-3 percent.
    Median household income has reached $65,976 – an all-time high and up more than 8 percent in 2019 dollars under the Trump presidency
    Middle-class incomes, after adjusting for inflation, have surged by $5,003 since Donald Trump became president in January 2017.
    The FBI’s annual crime report, shows violent crime rate dropping 4.6 percent since President Trump took office, reversing an uptick in violent crime that occurred under the last two years of President Barack Obama.

What Cons used to call shitty growth is now celebrated. Some of us pointed out that 2-3% was good back when the black fella was President. But you girls aren’t hypocrites, of course.

The problem is that you can’t be anti-immigrant, have historically low birth rates and labor shortages, and also expect growth to continue in the sweet spot.

Trump is at 2% and no reason for it not to keep climbing as the deregulation and tax cuts continue their work

Good economic policy has nothing to do with race unless you're a racist like @HHusky
    Obama took office in 2009. The lowest US growth rate thereafter was 1.6% in 2011, which is very close to forecasts of US growth in 2020. And I’ve always given you credit Race: your irrational hatred of Obama is not because he’s black. Can’t say the same about everyone here.
    Obama was milquetoast when it came to private sector and heavy handed on regulation. His policies absolutely dragged the economy. He believed in tax and spend as dems do. Big G at the cost of C & I since you believe in economics supposedly. I'll give him that he didn't completely wreck things like Warren or Sanders would but his entire premise (which you share) is managed decline with the government doing the managing.

When president's parties control Congress and pass major legislation there absolutely are economic ramifications, see tax cuts vs. Obamacare. Sure, there's all kinds of mitigating factors but you like to cherry pick what you do and don't contextualize.
    You don’t have to have a decline. Working people still want in and you can incentivize people to have more kids.
    Don't tell me tell the dems. Also, maybe just have government get the fuck out of the way.
    You’re an open borders advocate? How did the government stop millennials from reproducing?
    Massive government overregulation of childcare has made it ultra expensive to have children. Childcare costs more than a mortgage even in ultra expensive locations and doesn't get much cheaper in the boonies. Axe @YellowSnow or @dnc or anyone with young kids. It's a universal problem for my generation.
    Wifey's a mostly stay at home madre (she still works 8 hours a week at her old job) so we're not super familiar with the high costs of childcare. It definitely amazes me how much people spend on it though.
    And if childcare wasn't so expensive your wife or others in a similar situation might opt to use more of it. That might allow them to make more money. Which obviously impacts working and middle class families the most.

It's pretty crazy out here in California. I ran the ROI and you basically have to make more than $60k+ per parent a year to justify even going to work at all. Nevermind any kind of stress or marginal utility etc. That doesn't sound like a lot but when you consider where median wages are it is. If it wasn't for all of the existing subsidies to lower income households for childcare you'd hear the Left banging the drum on this too. Per usual though their solution would be more government handouts for votes. Never a market based approach to drive down costs to the consumer(bc classic economics right?)

Hilariously, even @BearsWiin is a stay at home dad while arguing that childcare isn't over regulated. Nevermind that he and H have at best a passing familiarity with the industry, the regulations, or what a middle income family deals with, they know the answer already based on their ideology. Childcare providers are just out to squeeze a buck and have no inherent interest in the welfare of children under their care.
    I don't have the "inventory" (shout out to @creepycoug since I am using this term moar) to make an informed comment on how regs affect child care costs. I think it's common sense though that an infant room shouldn't have more that 4:1 and 3:1 is preferred.

Up in our neck of the woods, they have to pay about $17 or $18 to start with full medical just to find decent help. The lead teacher in each class is probably making in the low $20s per hour.
    Even more common sense that it should be a parent with the kids all day. The consumer of daycare should be able to decide what is best for their family and their particular circumstance. But of course the arrogant elitists know what's best for everyone and their situation.
    Is it sad? There aren’t really a lot of kids playing in the neighborhood anymore. The kids and their friends are in school, preschool or daycare.
    I loved a lot of things about having small kids, but who would want to be that 1 parent not working?
    I would. But my wife ultimately did.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,206
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

dnc said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

My wife.
    My hat is off to anyone who could spend years at home with small kids and no job outside the home without taking up day drinking.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

My wife has worked periodically over the years since the kids left. Never see a dime of it but it does slow down the giant sucking sound from my wallet when she is working

Her money

Mine is our money

This.

My wife gave up her career, so called, at the end of my second year in law school and stayed home for 20+ years. She's working now to (1) get her out of the house and give her a sense of purpose now that her daughters are building their own lives, and (2) stem that incredible suction from our bank account. It's less about whatever $$ she earns (I have no idea or care) and more about her having less down time to go buy shit we don't need. Fuck that woman can spend $$.

Dude - you never watched Scarface?!?!

White women can spot an easy Cuban sugar daddy from a mile away.

Pacino es no cubano mang.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why the fuck someone would want to live in an expensive place with no hot girls beats the hell out of me.

Although I say that as I'm casually talking with some companies in the bay area right now lol

There are hot girls in Seattle. What do you think we do up here? Just go whaling?
  • Options
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

dnc said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

My wife.
    My hat is off to anyone who could spend years at home with small kids and no job outside the home without taking up day drinking.
    I'll be sure to let her know.

• Options

There are hot girls in Seattle. What do you think we do up here? Just go whaling?
    Yes. I absolutely think that.
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

dnc said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

My wife.

I'm pretty sure day drinking is part of the staying at home with kids
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,206
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

dnc said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

My wife.

I'm pretty sure day drinking is part of the staying at home with kids
    Traditionally, sure.