Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

$100,320 in 1985...

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Coaches couldn't afford to fag out like Pete

I don't miss Pete, I don't thank him, I don't think he was anything special.

He's dead to me.

Capitalism has made the coaches and players soft AF
    They work for the state government FFS.
    Dreams of NFL riches makes players sit out bowl games. Budweiser and pick up ads make it possible for Pete rake in 4.3 million, not WA tax payers.
    Sure. We must not have had capitalism back in 1985.
    Hint: creative destruction changes viewing habits. As such Budweiser and Ford are willing to pay bigger dollars than ever before to place their ads in front of a live audience.

How many Husky games were on live TV per year in 1985?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,048 Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

Dreams of NFL riches makes players sit out bowl games. Budweiser and pick up ads make it possible for Pete rake in 4.3 million, not WA tax payers.
    And I'm as staunch as capitalist as any man, women, or trans person here. But the amount of TV revenue flowing into big time college athletics makes it possible for shitty to average coaches to make un godly seems of money. I'm not advocating any changes to the system, but it just pathetic to see Pete making 18 times what DJ did coming off an Orange Bowl win over Barry FUCKING Switzer. Hell, Babe Ruth, only made lik 1.2 million adjust for chinflation.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,111

Players get $300 stipends though.

That seems too low. They should quit football. It’s big ripoff. They should just apply, get accepted, and pay for school like millions of other non athletes.
    Why do you hate letting the invisible hand decide their stipend?

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

Hint: creative destruction changes viewing habits. As such Budweiser and Ford are willing to pay bigger dollars than ever before to place their ads in front of a live audience.

How many Husky games were on live TV per year in 1985?
    I was too young to remember and would have had to use Googles. I need to look up total Athletic Dept revenue for that year and compare with 2019.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,020 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

And I'm as staunch as capitalist as any man, women, or trans person here. But the amount of TV revenue flowing into big time college athletics makes it possible for shitty to average coaches to make un godly seems of money. I'm not advocating any changes to the system, but it just pathetic to see Pete making 18 times what DJ did coming off an Orange Bowl win over Barry FUCKING Switzer. Hell, Babe Ruth, only made lik 1.2 million adjust for chinflation.
    No you aren’t. Stop lying.
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

Fuck off.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,020 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

Fuck off.
    I might. Then you’ll be sorry.
    edited December 2019
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

Fuck off.
    I might. Then you’ll be sorry.
    I didn't say LEAVE. Just FO. There's a difference.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    edited December 2019

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

The real answer coaches should be paid a lot less, and players should be paid. EDIT: the dollars are
    Way too big now for the players to not be receiving a portion. Have a stipend, and a trust they receive upon graduation or number of tests completed. There’s a million ways to do it.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

How much do tennis players get?
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,768 Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

How much do tennis players get?
    Axe @LarryScott.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

They get paid based on the market. I don’t know where Don James got paid compared to other coaches but it was probably high.

Coaches nowadays are definitely overpaid, but there is nothing we can do about it.
    edited December 2019

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

They get paid based on the market. I don’t know where Don James got paid compared to other coaches but it was probably high.

Coaches nowadays are definitely overpaid, but there is nothing we can do about it.
    Nope. There's nothing we should do about it. Rather, it's just comical to me the difference in DJ's comp vs Pete's. @MikeDamone was right - the fancy boats and expensive coffee makes for shitty coaching.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,893 Standard Supporter

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

Nope. There's nothing we should do about it. Rather, it's just comical to me the difference in DJ's comp vs Pete's. @MikeDamone was right - the fancy boats and expensive coffee makes for shitty coaching.
    But who said "The Greatest Setting in College Football" better than Pete? Marketing, Bro.

Unfortunately, that's about all I remember about him, and it hasn't even been a week.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

There is no such thing as overpay. These fuckers negotiated and that was the clearing price.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    FireCohen said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

There is no such thing as overpay. These fuckers negotiated and that was the clearing price.
    You forget the free labor...
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    edited December 2019

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

He's dead to me.

I think the boats and coffee analysis is way off the mark, and a toilet salesman should know that better than anyone. The most fucking ruthless motherfuckers on the planet LOVE expensive boats, fancy coffee, flying private, fucking models on the French Riviera... all the finest things in life, and they'll do ANYTHING to attain them. Sales and sociopathy just aren't for everyone, not everyone is willing to suck teen boy dick by dancing at a photoshoot to get that 5* kid or fuck grandma out of her pension to get that 7 figure bonus. Not everyone is willing to cut their old buddy's throat in a second when they've shown they aren't the guy for the job.

The problem with Pete is he was content with fancy coffee and a boat ride to work, not that he partook of them. Jimmy has shown hints that he won't be happy until he's on top and he'll do what it takes to get there. And hopefully even then he'll want the next best thing.

I'm not sure if Pete was aware that recruiting the parents is a vital skill, he probably just likes the smell of his own farts too much, but he did it about as well as anyone ever has. Praise REAL GOD that he put that tool in Jimmy's toolbox and also that Jimmy likely sees it as exactly that; a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

It warmed my heart that Pete cared about the kids, and he was doing it the right way, but it turns out Pete and I had different ideas of what his job was. He thought it was ethics and morals first, football second; I think it's football first through fortieth, then start worrying about if they're saying their prayers. Turns out I'm right, youth pastors don't get paid $4mm per annum.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,699 Founders Club
    Sounds like I should have gone into coaching