Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Thank you Chris Petersen

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Youre being a doog Damone

Ya hate to see it

The marinerization of the huskies is complete.

I miss Washington dammit
    Wishing for the days of beating 8-4 Purdue is the definition of a fucking Mariners fan being happy to just be in the running for the playoffs

Hth
    12-1, winning the conference when it was still an accomplishment, a rose bowl win and one of the top rankings in school history vs "we kept it close for a half". Did you get a "We scored first Champion" peach bowl shirt?

It's the difference between playing in the World Series or winning 116 games.
    UW didn’t make the championship game. HTH
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,730
    Thanks for stepping aside so we can finally recruit some black kids, pete.

Damien would have been happy if the 2016 team missed the plYoffs and

Ya hate to see it

I miss Washington dammit
    Wishing for the days of beating 8-4 Purdue is the definition of a fucking Mariners fan being happy to just be in the running for the playoffs

Hth
    12-1, winning the conference when it was still an accomplishment, a rose bowl win and one of the top rankings in school history vs "we kept it close for a half". Did you get a "We scored first Champion" peach bowl shirt?

Beating 8-4 Purdue isn’t the World Series.
    Shitty analogy, but the playoffs is the world series.
    No. The playoffs aren’t the World Series. The championship game is. Uw got exposed by Alabama as pretenders who didn’t belong on that stage. They lost and didn’t play in the “World Series “. Hth
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,841 Founders Club
    ALCS loss. Go M’s!
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

Ya hate to see it

I miss Washington dammit

Hth

No. The playoffs aren’t the World Series. The championship game is. Uw got exposed by Alabama as pretenders who didn’t belong on that stage. They lost and didn’t play in the “World Series “. Hth
    Great, it's the difference between losing the ALCS and not making the playoffs but winning the run differential.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,878 Swaye's Wigwam

This is the most fucking anal tard cake debate of all time. Ricky's game day corching in 2000 bested anything that Pete did for us. But Pete's overall program building skillz (at multiple programs) crush anything Rick was capable of. For the love of Pete, let's try and keep this objective.

In the words of Race Parcells: you are what your record says you are.

Rose Bowl Wins

Rick - 1

Toothy Frat Boy - 0

Cooked.

Rick bear Miami and Michigan. Did Petersen beat a power 5 team that wasn’t dreck in his time at uw. (Rutgers doesn’t count )
    Those were good wins. And the lack of signature, big time wins under Pete leaves most of us with purple ballz. But it's different game now. We won't get those types of home games much anymore (Pete's home game big time non-con schedule was non existent). When Ricky went on the road to play Michigan we lost or got plungered by Miamuh. All that being said, Pete would have probably lost to Miamuh at home in 2000.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,937

This is the most fucking anal tard cake debate of all time. Ricky's game day corching in 2000 bested anything that Pete did for us. But Pete's overall program building skillz (at multiple programs) crush anything Rick was capable of. For the love of Pete, let's try and keep this objective.

Rose Bowl Wins

Rick - 1

Toothy Frat Boy - 0

Cooked.

Rick bear Miami and Michigan. Did Petersen beat a power 5 team that wasn’t dreck in his time at uw. (Rutgers doesn’t count )
    Those were good wins. And the lack of signature, big time wins under Pete leaves most of us with purple ballz. But it's different game now. We won't get those types of home games much anymore (Pete's home game big time non-con schedule was non existent). When Ricky went on the road to play Michigan we lost or got plungered by Miamuh. All that being said, Pete would have probably lost to Miamuh at home in 2000.
    Would have been a great post if you would have just stopped right thurr.

Come on row boat. Stop this unholy love affair with Toothy. He was a B+ guy. Good enough to get into Western. That's about it.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,937

Rose Bowl Wins

Rick - 1

Toothy Frat Boy - 0

Cooked.

Yes.

And that's the difference. Rick got his teams up for games like having Miami at home.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited December 2019

Beno4Life said:

One is a really good coach and one is average. Helfrich won a playoff game. It doesn’t make him good. Same with Rick and the Rose Bowl. We were trending down with Rick. We wouldn’t have went 6-6 and 1-11 like we did under Gilby, but Rick wouldn’t have made us good those years.
    This.

When Pete got to the CFP, it was mostly his guys. And he continued the good seasons for 2 more years thereafter. Rick was an average coach who had a one off Goldilocks season with a game changer (at the college level) QB.

Both pale in comparison to Don James. It took a long time, but DJ had the intestinal fortitude to drive to work, drink Folgers, and sleep in his office.
    The DJ love affair gives me Doogman PTSD.

But I think I’ve gained even more appreciation for the Dawgfather in the last couple years of Pete. After hearing anecdotal evidence and reading that SI piece, DJ evolved and made tough choices. Pete fired Pease. That’s it.

Killjoy Pete wasn’t going to change fast enough to keep up with the times, a la Saban. Which is why he resigned. He knew he had to but was too stubborn to do it.
    I try to think of the kids when incessantly posting about Don James but it is our only reference point. I stated early and often that I wanted Pete to be much better than James

I want Jimmy Lake to be much better than James. He was not infallible and there is room above him

Its just that we have so far failed miserably to find someone. It looked like Pete could then it became clear that we would be lucky if he could put together a 17 year plan to win the Natty and nobody has time for that anymore

Pete wasn't going to change fast enough. He did the next best thing

Go Jimmy
    It’s different eras. The 17 year plan for a Natty probably won’t be done again. I can’t imagine a coach finally breaking thru after 17 years.

Back in the day, you couldn’t look up any recruit’s hudl, there wasn’t a bunch of camps. Guys were recruited based on who high school beat writer’s were writing about and based on what high school coaches were telling coaches on who they had that should be recruited.

If you go 17 years without a natty these days, you probably couldn’t recruit good enough players to get that natty. The heat on DJ would have been amped up a lot more nowadays then it was during his struggle in the 80’s.

Ya hate to see it

I miss Washington dammit

Hth

Great, it's the difference between losing the ALCS and not making the playoffs but winning the run differential.
    The peach bowl was zero fun. Uw didn't belong. Everyone knew it.
    Alexis said:

Can we all agree, since it's the Kwaanza season and we should all be getting along, that Rick, as a gaymeday coach was head and shoulders above Pete. Pete handed the ball off to Deante Cooper with his chart, rather than run out the clock. RN had Tui take a 4th down snap with 9 seconds left on 4th down, rather than punt, when ASU had already blocked one, and had him scramble and throw the ball downfield out of bounds running out the clock which was a great idea.

We can also agree that Pete was a much better program builder than RN. As an AD, I would take Pete in a heartbeat. But if I need to win a big gayme, and I got to choose between the 2, not sure I take him. (Also Rick is a single digit handicap. And I would guess alot more fun to have a beer with)

And, if there was a final 4 in 2000, UW would have been in at 4 against either FSU or Oklahoma, and would have already beaten the # 3 team. Who's to say they couldn't have beaten them. Wouldn't have been 24-7 loss I would wager to guess. Would have been the same as 2016

In conclusion, Happy Boxing Day.

So what you're saying is rick and Petersen aren't separated by much.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Ya hate to see it

I miss Washington dammit

Hth

Not the case. We were up early and our defense played be try well except for the one long run. We had a shit offense, but if we don’t throw the pick 6 and if Psalm actually recovers the fumble he forced on the Alabama 40, the game is very close.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,362 Founders Club

Alexis said:

Can we all agree, since it's the Kwaanza season and we should all be getting along, that Rick, as a gaymeday coach was head and shoulders above Pete. Pete handed the ball off to Deante Cooper with his chart, rather than run out the clock. RN had Tui take a 4th down snap with 9 seconds left on 4th down, rather than punt, when ASU had already blocked one, and had him scramble and throw the ball downfield out of bounds running out the clock which was a great idea.

We can also agree that Pete was a much better program builder than RN. As an AD, I would take Pete in a heartbeat. But if I need to win a big gayme, and I got to choose between the 2, not sure I take him. (Also Rick is a single digit handicap. And I would guess alot more fun to have a beer with)

And, if there was a final 4 in 2000, UW would have been in at 4 against either FSU or Oklahoma, and would have already beaten the # 3 team. Who's to say they couldn't have beaten them. Wouldn't have been 24-7 loss I would wager to guess. Would have been the same as 2016

Did Petersen have three losing season at UCLA?
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,667 Founders Club

Ya hate to see it

I miss Washington dammit

Hth

Not the case. We were up early and our defense played be try well except for the one long run. We had a shit offense, but if we don’t throw the pick 6 and if Psalm actually recovers the fumble he forced on the Alabama 40, the game is very close.

Alexis said:

Did Petersen coach at UCLA?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,362 Founders Club
    Petersen had 3 shitty seasons at UW so there's that

Alexis said:

Did Petersen coach at UCLA?
    Case closed