Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The downfall of Western Civ

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,990
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
My kindergartner starts transgender studies next week. According to Seattle Public Schools, kids by the age of 5 or 6 can have sorted out their preferred gender identity. And as a result, their classmates - who are just learning how to read and write mind you - need to learn the proper pronouns to use.

Comments

• Options
    DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Such bullshit. CD, what are your preferred pronouns?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,223

My kindergartner starts transgender studies next week. According to Seattle Public Schools, kids by the age of 5 or 6 can have sorted out their preferred gender identity. And as a result, their classmates - who are just learning how to read and write mind you - need to learn the proper pronouns to use.

Are you going to push back?
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Such bullshit. CD, what are your preferred pronouns?

My kids go to private school.
  • Options

HHusky said:

I might. I'm struggling with the response, however. Look, all I care about at this age is that my kid is a good human and treats hit classmates with respect. Follow the Golden Rule. But how the fuck is a 5.5 year old supposed to start processing transgender issues? Fucking Christ...
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

HHusky said:

I might. I'm struggling with the response, however. Look, all I care about at this age is that my kid is a good human and treats hit classmates with respect. Follow the Golden Rule. But how the fuck is a 5.5 year old supposed to start processing transgender issues? Fucking Christ...
    Part of being a good human and treating others with respect is learning about differences.

I don't get the worry here. Are you concerned your son will want to be be trans because he learns about it in school?
  • Options

Will they be learning all 76 genders? If not it's just regressive and bigoted education.

We are having the same stupid shit rolled out here. The kids might be staying in Montessori for a bit longer than we had originally planned.

I'm glad we can find space in the pedagogy for these topics as early as Kindergarten but still don't require basic financial or economic literacy as part of a public education all the way through high school graduation.
    The longer they stay in Montesorri, they longer it will take them to catch up if/when they go to a more traditional school.

Totally agree about your personal finance/economics poont.
  • Options

HHusky said:

Part of being a good human and treating others with respect is learning about differences.

I don't get the worry here. Are you concerned your son will want to be be trans because he learns about it in school?
    No, I'm not worried about my kid wanting to be trans and I'm not pulling my kid from class that day. My family respects differences just fine (e.g., be a best man at a same sex wedding -before it was legal - and then pop off). But my objection is the age they are trying to teach this shit to kids. They're fucking 5 or 6 depending - how are they supposed to process this information?
    Holy crap. It's only part of the curriculum for one day? I don't get the pearl clutching.

We spent months on the metric system in elementary school.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Will they be learning all 76 genders? If not it's just regressive and bigoted education.

We are having the same stupid shit rolled out here. The kids might be staying in Montessori for a bit longer than we had originally planned.

I'm glad we can find space in the pedagogy for these topics as early as Kindergarten but still don't require basic financial or economic literacy as part of a public education all the way through high school graduation.
    The longer they stay in Montesorri, they longer it will take them to catch up if/when they go to a more traditional school.

Totally agree about your personal finance/economics poont.
    My wife specializes in child development and education. She's got binders for each of our kids for their development. My kids are way ahead of every metric except size. If anything, I worry about them being bored and acting out in a traditional school where they don't have mixed age education and where the standards have been lowered. Don't confuse Montessori with Waldorf. That's a totally different monster.
  • Options
    My kids are in their twenties and I never ran into this preferred pronoun question until the youngest of them was entering college four years ago. Yet my kids and their generation appear to have picked all of this stuff up on the fly, simply through ordinary socialization. (They all think I'm so not woke for being confused by the pronoun thing and wanting to know "what" their friend is.)
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,935
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Pull the kid or be sick those days. Fuck that shit!