Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show your support for what this community means to you:
Choose a Donation Amount
Username
(required for credit)
Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The only good thing about Lake to HC

13»

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Posts: 25,347
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes 10000 Comments
    dnc said:

Is Kwat back to defensive coordinator.

Otherwise I don't understand handing it over to a guy who has two years experience as a coordinator and one of them (the most recent) was mediocre.

Sark 2.0
  • dncdnc Posts: 45,888
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes 25000 Comments
    dnc said:

Otherwise I don't understand handing it over to a guy who has two years experience as a coordinator and one of them (the most recent) was mediocre.

Fuck being right.
    GrundleStiltzkin
    dnc said:

Bump for @vadawg.

You’re late to the party.
    GrundleStiltzkin
    Siaosi Finau Bump

dnc said:

Yeah, for being a "football school" it is pretty lame that the AD was content to settle for the coach-in-waiting approach with a guy who has never been HC anywhere. Urban Meyer would never come here, but it would've at least shown the fans that the AD is trying hard if they were able to get a meeting or some lines of communication with Team Urban.

Ohio State and Oklahoma are very recent test cases of how successful this "lame" approach is. If you think this program is better than it's 7-5 record and has the infrastructure currently in place to be a top ten team, and I think it does, then hiring internally is the move. Especially when you have a future head coach already in the assistant ranks, which is not the case for most programs. Add in the bonus of freeing up a lot more salary for assistant coaches ($3M for Lake is nothing), and it would be ridiculous for the AD to embark on an outside candidate search.
    Oklahoma hired an absolute hot shot coordinator who excels at developing the most important position. tOSU hired a guy who had already been their HC for three games and whose offense dropped 40 on a ranked team in the process.

Day had 5 years experience as a coordinator.

Riley had 7 years experience as a coordinator.

Lake has two years and no one really knows how much control he really had over the defense in those two years.

This is not the same thing, at all.
    Both those guys turned units that needed improvement to among the very best in the country. Lake took over a defense that was absolutely rolling and it regressed.

I don’t love it. There are some possible benefits. It opens us up to potentially getting certain recruits. The OKG stuff will loosen up a bit.

At the same time, Pete was widely respected and got recruits on his coaching merit himself, which Lake does not currently have. He also held onto his recruits and other than his offense was rock solid as a CEO and forming the program to his identity. Before this year, that was always a huge benefit.
    Highly underrated poast.
    creepycougGladstone