Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Josh Conerly, 2022 5* OL, Seattle (Rainier Beach), WA (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This is whole nil is so crazy, man. 17 year old kids signing million dollar deals before even playing a snap of college ball.

I guess in this nuts economy might as well grab what you can get and what's available and then some.

If boosters or companies want to spend "supporting" the next xxx high school star to potentially flameout ... I guess it is what it is.

Remember Craig Chambers?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/699015-college-football-recruiting-the-20-worst-5-star-recruiting-busts-of-the-2000s.amp.html
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There's always a break in period for something new. The usual suspect winners are first th throw money at everyone. It will settle down

Once you get past the 5 star must have guys you pay for upfront it has always been smarter to pay off performance in college

Under the table or over.

Billy got his Camaro and loan once he was the starter. Summer jobs programs are for current players

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021
    animate said:

This is whole nil is so crazy, man. 17 year old kids signing million dollar deals before even playing a snap of college ball.

I guess in this nuts economy might as well grab what you can get and what's available and then some.

If boosters or companies want to spend "supporting" the next xxx high school star to potentially flameout ... I guess it is what it is.

Remember Craig Chambers?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/699015-college-football-recruiting-the-20-worst-5-star-recruiting-busts-of-the-2000s.amp.html

It is nuts. The Ohio State QB that got 1.4 mil might sit on the bench for a few years. Ohio State is starting a freshman that was the #2 QB of his class the year before.

Granted Ewers is from Texas, and an elite QB with a mullet that started for the biggest program in the state is valuable, but still.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don’t think UW players will reap the benefits of NIL. A superstar QB would. Amazon and Microsoft could easily put a couple mil aside for UW players but they won’t.

Local businesses will use a player from the Seahawks, Mariners, Kraken, and Sounders before using a UW player. A random player on the Seahawks like Freddie Swain has more name value than any UW player.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

I don’t think UW players will reap the benefits of NIL. A superstar QB would. Amazon and Microsoft could easily put a couple mil aside for UW players but they won’t.

Local businesses will use a player from the Seahawks, Mariners, Kraken, and Sounders before using a UW player. A random player on the Seahawks like Freddie Swain has more name value than any UW player.

So there’s more business people in Columbus? State College?
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bread said:

HFNY said:

Why would any 5 star kid sign with UW now with a ton of NIL money out there by signing with a top money generating school... Seriously. To turn this around we are going to need to see some UW kids driving Corvettes [with 24/7 on campus parking, not at the dump] and getting some attractive deals with the attendant publicity ~ and sooner rather than later. I'm not saying its a good thing or a bad thing, i just think that is what is happening.

Need a multi-multi-multi-multi millionaire to step up, preferably a billionaire. But none of the local people who fit that care enough except for maybe the Nordstrom and Paccar families?

In the meantime, I will look in my couch's moderately used cushions.
    Rolling up to the Michigan game in

Looking fly as hell

If our team doesn't roll up to the Michigan game swagged out in whatever designer clothes they want from Nordstrom in custom Purple and Gold Kenworth w900s I will be extremely disappointed.
    Gay as it sounds, I would love it if they pimped this shit!
  • Options
    dnc said:

No.

There's more recognition of college fb players in those communities because they are college football towns with no pro sports (okay one hockey team).

Seattle isn't a college town.

Zero reason that should stay the same unless you had competent leadership at the AD. Sloppy Tits needs to create a culture where people craved to be a part of the cool kids. Everyone wants to.
  • Options
    Sources said:

It's going to be interesting how many kids wash out after getting paid. Becoming an overnight millionaire at 17-18 years old is going to send some kids off the rails

hopefully
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

dnc said:

No.

There's more recognition of college fb players in those communities because they are college football towns with no pro sports (okay one hockey team).

I don't think this is the natural order. It's something that was created by 30 years of fuckery at UW. I think that, had UW and local media made any effort at all, star Huskies would have just as much local celebrity as Mariner or Seahawk players.

Tui would have been as recognizable around town as Junior, Edgar, or Arod if he had been promoted like them. That's what I'm postulating. Maybe I'm full of shit but I don't think so. The "fans" gobble up whomever the media serves them.
    It does have some to do with that. Players at college football factories with nothing else going don’t have to share attention. They are the big ticket in town.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,939
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021

dnc said:

No.

So we're believing that businesses are paying players out of a legitimate desire for their endorsement services?

That's cute.

The reason Microsoft or Amazon won't pay a UW player for NIL is the same reason they wouldn't pay for the #1 recruit in a midwest college town: they DGAF. You know who does? Rich college football fans who want to feel like they're part of the team and important. In the past, they'd give PSAs cars, family apartments, trips, cash, whatever under the table in an effort to attract them to their school. The only difference now is they can brag about it on Twitter and write it off at tax time.

Those OSU guysm didn't get free cars because it's great advertising, they got free cars because getting players like that to come to the local school helps the local school win. Those quarterbacks didn't get over a million dollars because local business owners need influencers; they got over a million because the people who paid them think watching their team win is worth it.

Think of it more like Detlef's $500K donation, only paid directly to the players, than some kind of legitimate business transaction.

You don't need Seattle big business to step up for the same reason tOSU doesn't. You just need a dozen rabid Husky fans with a million extra dollars per year in the bank to be vain and crazy enough to decide the most satisfying use of that exccess would be to personally big-dick the states of Alabama, Ohio, and South Carolina by buying a winner.
    All good stuff EXCEPT your second paragraph. AL and tOSU’s qb’s received these contracts through legit regional/national brands. I don’t think those fuckers are tied to any one school because it’s decision by committee. Those fucks are hoping that the kids have an amazing college career and just maybe they amount to shit in the NFL and then they really have something at that point to push their brand.

Gtsm, cash app, leaf, etc.

If I had time to create a business plan I would honestly start a marketing company That acted as an agency to broker these deals. Early entry in this is still available. Any of you fucks want to start a business?

I mean, come on - read this shit. 3rd paragraph. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nflpa-permits-nfl-agents-to-represent-college-football-players-in-nil-marketing-agreements-per-reports/amp/

You know damn well these agents will rep these kids. These agents will funnel these players through whatever they need to ensure they go pro. Sounds like the gold rush where any body can get a piece.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    How much you think D-Mo could get for Ranch Corn Nuts?

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Certainly UW incompetence has played a role in this.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    Swaye's Wigwam

The problem with real companies is they actually expect a return on their investment.

Bob's Used Car Dealership in Columbus DGAF

Bob just wants to be part of the squad
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The problem with real companies is they actually expect a return on their investment.

This...

Bob just wants to be part of the squad
    And this.