Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anyone else starting to think their is a succession agreement?

Comments

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,562
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Jesus mang. I’ve traveled with my wife to the CFP and the Rose Bowl in the past 3 yrs. I’m not going back to mediocrity with all you Russian roulette muther fuggas.

@YellowSnow

Doesn't mediocrity have its limits? Sark's was 7 wins and jumped up to 8 at the end.
    Pete had us in NY6 bowels after improving the 7 and 8 wins to 10-12. Looks like he is dropping back to 8 or 9 this year. What will next year bring? 9-10.

So Pete just has a higher level of mediocrity than Sark. Just enough to get our hopes broken at a different level. Seems to me the NY6 games may be back in 2 years. But proven track record will be to fall behind by 30 points to fall short by 4-10 points.

I went to the RB and we lost awards are not given out,
    Mabel, there’s a pretty YUGE gap between Pete mediocrity and Sark mediocrity. Pete’s dog shit season is looking like 9-3 or 8-4 with a few of the losses being in doubt till the final ticks of the clock.
    I acknowledge that with Pete it is a higher level of mediocrity. The trouble with that is you fall harder when you lose to teams you should never be losing. CalFord this year, Cal last year, ASU the year before, I am not looking at a schedule so there is more. lots more. with nary a signature win or for that matter a face on our program that is talked about in CFB circles. Maybe we are the trickster team?
    We should be 7-1 right now at worst 6-2.

I like Pete but I am not going to put him on a pedestal and compare him to James. It would not bother me if they keep him a couple more years and it would not bother me if they got rid of him. That is what Pete has done for this program -

we are a better mediocre than ever before
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Fuck succession agreements. Where has that coach in waiting bullshit ever worked in college football?

Lincoln Riley?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,673
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    whuggy said:

Fuck succession agreements. Where has that coach in waiting bullshit ever worked in college football?

Lincoln Riley?
    Does THE Ohio State guy also count?
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,562
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    just to add some other stuff about Pete's losses

4 losses to Oregon, Stanford
    3 Losses to ASU, Cal

one each UCLA, Arizona, Utah, and USC
    OOC Boise ST and Auburn

Bowel game losses OK St, Pen St, Ohio St, Ala

and to offset those losses, Signature win USC
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,617
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    digits said:

I've always believed that Cohen/Peterman/Lake have agreed in principle that Lake would succeed Pete, as long as he didn't bolt for another D Coordinator job before.

All things considered, I think you gotta give Lake a chance.

I think you need to let the recent recruiting classes have a chance to prove their mettle. We have major holes on this current squad that have been resolved (hopefully) with recruiting and coaching changes (few more needed). Pete may be stubborn and slow to adapt, but he isn't blind, and he's the best we can get by FAR unless Mike Hopkins wants to start coaching football. The DL, WR, QB, and LB (debatable) holes have all been shored up. The current OL class is one of the nation's best. You typically don't see the results of recruiting classes until 2-3 years down the road, particularly on the lines. This is especially true with this staff that puts a premium on development and experience. The 2018 class should start playing dividends NEXT year. Many predicted a 8-4, 9-3 type season this year. It sucks but they were fucking right. This happens when you have a greenhorn OC, first year QB, shitty linebackers, small upperclassman DL, freshman safeties making huge mistakes, and when you stubbornly play shitty WR that developed with non-existent coaching. Yes, this season is frustrating as fuck for a variety of reasons, but Pete is playing the long game, for better or worse. Recruiting has picked up in a big way and we still haven't seen the results of it yet. I also expect some changes to be made this off-season on the staff. In fact, I demand it. I am still very optimistic about the future as long as this season doesn't fuck up recruiting efforts and a few coaching changes are made.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Ok, I will give you that.

What are your explanations/excuses for his poor game management/winning close games, lack of bowl wins/BIG wins, etc?
  • Options
    halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

One more thing - UW hasn't had a good track record with promoting coordinators to the HC position.

Furthermore, one may surmise that the coordinators are cut from the same cloth as the head coach. So, promoting one of them to HC would just be more inbreeding. New boss same as the old boss scenario - I've seen this at my place of work. Our current CEO operates like the previous one, even though he is more personable and the former was kind of like a robot. Same policies and same playbook; same culture. Yes, he worked up the ranks and was promoted within.

On the other hand some of our non-coordinator hires haven't been too special either.
    Good poont!

UW AD has found so many different ways to burn us out over the years. May as well keep throwing shit at the wall to see what finally sticks.

Just so fucking tired and frustrated with a mediocre product.
    Swaye made a really good point when he said if you think Pete gives you a 1% chance to win it all and there's guys out there that give you 2% chance then you make the move every time. I have always liked Petersen but I'm starting to get interested in the 2% option. Who knows. Maybe JL bumps you up to 5%.
    Every team in the country is scrambling to figure out which coach could get them a championship. Problem is, only Saban, Dabo, and Urban have been able to do it in the playoff era. Lots of splash hires around the country that don’t bear fruit. Lots of college football royalty trying desperately to figure out who that coach is that will bring them back to the promise land.

We are all so frustrated and tired of inexplicable losses because we expect championships from Petersen. You could hire a shit load of dudes that won’t even get you consistent 10 win seasons, let alone expectations of a realistic shot at a championship. You could easily cycle through 6 coaches over 20 years trying to find that 2% option you’re talking about that can finally break through.

Petersen does 90% of things right which leads to consistency that I’ve been craving my whole adult life. It’s the 10% that fucks up the championship hopes I’ve been holding since I was a kid. Our only hope is that Petersen figures out the 10% and evolves.

That 10% is:

- In game decisions
    - Letting go of the offense
    - And recruiting at a top 10-15 level every year so the depth outweighs his coaching fuck ups

We are fucked. We have to hope he fucking evolves. Because otherwise you are Russian Rouletting yourself into putting yourself in the same 20 year shit we were in before we got Petersen and got expectations.

And for everyone who says “recruiting doesn’t matter you faggot, just win the games”. Yeah, well, the only team that has won a championship in the last two decades without being a top 10 recruiter or having top 10 composite talent is Clemson with a generational D Watson.

So with Pete’s development and Sam Huard who is our lord and savior, we could be 10-15.

But fuck off with this, “Fire Pete he cant get it don’t just go find someone who will”.

Where? Who? Who is that going to be? Because no one else can fucking find them. It’s fucking hard. Ask Michigan. They’ve been looking since 97. You don’t just boot someone who at least has that 1%, because barely anyone has that. Saban and Dabo and Urban rule the world. The rest of us are scrabbling for scraps.

Petersen won’t be fired, and even if he did who the fuck gives you a better chance.

He either evolves or he doesn’t and we are fucked. But if we go out and throw darts at a bored we are fucked anyway. So he needs to evolve.
    I agree with almost everything you said except what you listed seems to be more than 10%, at least 12% (100% - 88%) LOL.
    And recruiting is the last thing I worry about him despite the debacles this year at ILB which is easily fixable down the road with some studs already in our program and Manu running out of eligibility.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    digits said:

Ok, I will give you that.

What are your explanations/excuses for his poor game management/winning close games, lack of bowl wins/BIG wins, etc?

Every one of his squads has had major holes and he's absolutely been slow to adapt and gameplan properly. Not being able to get JuCo transfers hurts here (FIX THIS). The bowl game losses were all a function of a pretty significant talent disadvantage, imo. I'll reluctantly give a pass for those. The ASU, Furd, Cal type games are pretty inexcusable but it happens when you have holes (Browning, Browning, Browning, LBs, WR, Browning, etc) and your head in the sand. I think those holes are shrinking, albeit much slower than we'd like. It absolutely hasn't been good but I think (hope) Pete has self-awareness. It all starts with recruiting and we've been crushing it there. It's pretty clear that 2020 at the earliest is where we'll start seeing the fruits of the recruiting bump. Might even be 2021.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

LebamDawg said:

LebamDawg said:

Jesus mang. I’ve traveled with my wife to the CFP and the Rose Bowl in the past 3 yrs. I’m not going back to mediocrity with all you Russian roulette muther fuggas.

@YellowSnow

Doesn't mediocrity have its limits? Sark's was 7 wins and jumped up to 8 at the end.
    Pete had us in NY6 bowels after improving the 7 and 8 wins to 10-12. Looks like he is dropping back to 8 or 9 this year. What will next year bring? 9-10.

So Pete just has a higher level of mediocrity than Sark. Just enough to get our hopes broken at a different level. Seems to me the NY6 games may be back in 2 years. But proven track record will be to fall behind by 30 points to fall short by 4-10 points.

I went to the RB and we lost awards are not given out,
    Mabel, there’s a pretty YUGE gap between Pete mediocrity and Sark mediocrity. Pete’s dog shit season is looking like 9-3 or 8-4 with a few of the losses being in doubt till the final ticks of the clock.
    I acknowledge that with Pete it is a higher level of mediocrity. The trouble with that is you fall harder when you lose to teams you should never be losing. CalFord this year, Cal last year, ASU the year before, I am not looking at a schedule so there is more. lots more. with nary a signature win or for that matter a face on our program that is talked about in CFB circles. Maybe we are the trickster team?
    We should be 7-1 right now at worst 6-2.

I like Pete but I am not going to put him on a pedestal and compare him to James. It would not bother me if they keep him a couple more years and it would not bother me if they got rid of him. That is what Pete has done for this program -

we are a better mediocre than ever before
    He compares perfectly to James and that's the problem. I've been saying since 2016 we want better than James. Look at the records and Pete is well on his way to a Don James career here.

James won his first Rose Bowl is the big difference. And beat a one loss Texas team in the Sun Bowl

But look how long it took to get another coach you kids can hate as much as I hated James!

Good enough but not good enough until he was
    Race ya think we will win one with pete?
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Successful game/clock management has nothing to do with recruiting, talent, etc. He's lost several close games because he does not have the knack for making the correct, split-second decisions that effect the outcome of close games. He's proven as much, over, and over, and over again.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    digits said:

Successful game/clock management has nothing to do with recruiting, talent, etc. He's lost several close games because he does not have the knack for making the correct, split-second decisions that effect the outcome of close games. He's proven as much, over, and over, and over again.

It's the chart.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

One more thing - UW hasn't had a good track record with promoting coordinators to the HC position.

Furthermore, one may surmise that the coordinators are cut from the same cloth as the head coach. So, promoting one of them to HC would just be more inbreeding. New boss same as the old boss scenario - I've seen this at my place of work. Our current CEO operates like the previous one, even though he is more personable and the former was kind of like a robot. Same policies and same playbook; same culture. Yes, he worked up the ranks and was promoted within.

On the other hand some of our non-coordinator hires haven't been too special either.
    Good poont!

UW AD has found so many different ways to burn us out over the years. May as well keep throwing shit at the wall to see what finally sticks.

Swaye made a really good point when he said if you think Pete gives you a 1% chance to win it all and there's guys out there that give you 2% chance then you make the move every time. I have always liked Petersen but I'm starting to get interested in the 2% option. Who knows. Maybe JL bumps you up to 5%.
    Every team in the country is scrambling to figure out which coach could get them a championship. Problem is, only Saban, Dabo, and Urban have been able to do it in the playoff era. Lots of splash hires around the country that don’t bear fruit. Lots of college football royalty trying desperately to figure out who that coach is that will bring them back to the promise land.

We are all so frustrated and tired of inexplicable losses because we expect championships from Petersen. You could hire a shit load of dudes that won’t even get you consistent 10 win seasons, let alone expectations of a realistic shot at a championship. You could easily cycle through 6 coaches over 20 years trying to find that 2% option you’re talking about that can finally break through.

Petersen does 90% of things right which leads to consistency that I’ve been craving my whole adult life. It’s the 10% that fucks up the championship hopes I’ve been holding since I was a kid. Our only hope is that Petersen figures out the 10% and evolves.

That 10% is:

- In game decisions
    - And recruiting at a top 10-15 level every year so the depth outweighs his coaching fuck ups

We are fucked. We have to hope he fucking evolves. Because otherwise you are Russian Rouletting yourself into putting yourself in the same 20 year shit we were in before we got Petersen and got expectations.

And for everyone who says “recruiting doesn’t matter you faggot, just win the games”. Yeah, well, the only team that has won a championship in the last two decades without being a top 10 recruiter or having top 10 composite talent is Clemson with a generational D Watson.

So with Pete’s development and Sam Huard who is our lord and savior, we could be 10-15.

But fuck off with this, “Fire Pete he cant get it don’t just go find someone who will”.

Where? Who? Who is that going to be? Because no one else can fucking find them. It’s fucking hard. Ask Michigan. They’ve been looking since 97. You don’t just boot someone who at least has that 1%, because barely anyone has that. Saban and Dabo and Urban rule the world. The rest of us are scrabbling for scraps.

Petersen won’t be fired, and even if he did who the fuck gives you a better chance.

He either evolves or he doesn’t and we are fucked. But if we go out and throw darts at a bored we are fucked anyway. So he needs to evolve.
    Well it wasn't a fire Pete topic. It was simply a question about whether there is a succession agreement.
    Fair enough, but I’ve been worked up in a handful of threads @whuggy, so I kept my roll goin.
  • Options
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Good poont!

That 10% is:

- In game decisions

Well it wasn't a fire Pete topic. It was simply a question about whether there is a succession agreement.
    People underestimate my ability to derail a thread lol
  • Options

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Good poont!

That 10% is:

- In game decisions

Fair enough, but I’ve been worked up in a handful of threads @whuggy, so I kept my roll goin.
    Sorry @DoogCourics , I was just annoyed you finding excuses for his short comings.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    FirePete said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

Good poont!

That 10% is:

- In game decisions

Sorry @DoogCourics , I was just annoyed you finding excuses for his short comings.
    @DoogCourics is far too rational for the "Winners win, losers lose, alpha, beta, phi delta kappa" nonsense Me Tarzan, you Jane mentality that permeates around here. Can we get a cave rat board for lower level discussion amongst the simples?
  • Options
    JustWinNowJustWinNow Member Posts: 357
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Pete sucks and you morons that don't agree are morons. You know how I know he sucks. Because it's year six and he still doesn't know what the fuck he is doing. Stop trying to make excuses for him. He fucken sucks. He has been coaching for 15 years and he doesn't know what the fuck he is doing. In Their first 10 years of coaching, Saban, dabo and Urban had already won a Natty. Those fuckers know How to win. Petersen knows how to throw seasons and games away. He is pathetic and if you defend him you are also pathetic. You are better than that. Snap out of it. He needs to go now. We can get Urban if we really wanted. We got the facilities and the once great winning tradition, he would definitely get us a Natty. But because UW is beta af that will never hau and if all we can get is Jimmy I'll fucken take it. Let Jimmy take over the show we need some passion. Petersen times up get the fuck out.