Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon Week!

Comments

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    salemcoog said:

One thing is certain, Eastern Oregon>>>>Eastern Washington and it's not even close. Love me some Eastern Oregon.

Heh, was about to come say the opposite. Other than Bend/Redmond, Eastern Oregon sucks in my opinion. Difference being no Columbia River to moisten up the joint.
    Eastern Oregon's got Bend (technically central but east of the mountains so whatever), Steens Mountain, the Alvord Desert, the Wallowas, the Elkhorns, Newberry, the Oregon Outback, and the Columbia River also... The list goes on. For outdoorsy, Eastern O has Eastern WA licked.
    The Selkirks, Palouse Falls and Lake Roosevelt say kiss my lily white ass.

And anybody who thinks swill out of Oregon is in the same league as Walla Walla and the Columbia Basin is out of their fucking mind.

E. WA doesn’t begin and end at Lake Chelan.

As someone who grew up in E Wa. I’ve got to check you on both the Selkirks that are actually in Idaho and Canada and the Walla Walla swill. As far as Eastern Or and Eastern Wa, the swill is a wash. However the Willamette Valley is right up there with Sonoma in quality of wines nowadays. And Central Or has its own Roosevelt in Billy Chinook.
    Huh?

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

North Cascades mysteriously absent

Eastern Oregon is a wasteland east of Smith Rock. WA state actually has bodies of water and a river going through it. There is jack shit for hundreds of miles except scrub pine in Eastern Oregon.
    As my late mother once told me, "Tis better to keep your fucking mouth shut and have people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,808
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Eastern Oregon is a wasteland east of Smith Rock. WA state actually has bodies of water and a river going through it. There is jack shit for hundreds of miles except scrub pine in Eastern Oregon.
    As my late mother once told me, "Tis better to keep your fucking mouth shut and have people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Way to contribute

There is fucking nothing in Eastern Oregon. Nothing. It is a wasteland on par with Northern Nevada.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Way to contribute

There is fucking nothing in Eastern Oregon. Nothing. It is a wasteland on par with Northern Nevada.
    "Wasteland". FOH.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2019

Way to contribute

Joseph Oregon is well east of Smith Rock and is one of my favorite places anywhere. To be sure, both eastern Washington and Oregon have stretches and stretches of "where in the fuck are we?", but there are also great spots to be found.

Feast your eyes on Joseph:

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Way to contribute

I don't know OTTOMH if Joseph Oregon is east of Smith Rock, but it is one of my favorite places anywhere. And it is in Eastern Oregon. To be sure, both eastern Washington and Oregon have stretches and stretches of "where in the fuck are we?", but there are also great spots to be found.

PGOS don't know beef from bullsfoot about E. Oregon.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

salemcoog said:

One thing is certain, Eastern Oregon>>>>Eastern Washington and it's not even close. Love me some Eastern Oregon.

Heh, was about to come say the opposite. Other than Bend/Redmond, Eastern Oregon sucks in my opinion. Difference being no Columbia River to moisten up the joint.
    Eastern Oregon's got Bend (technically central but east of the mountains so whatever), Steens Mountain, the Alvord Desert, the Wallowas, the Elkhorns, Newberry, the Oregon Outback, and the Columbia River also... The list goes on. For outdoorsy, Eastern O has Eastern WA licked.
    The Selkirks, Palouse Falls and Lake Roosevelt say kiss my lily white ass.

And anybody who thinks swill out of Oregon is in the same league as Walla Walla and the Columbia Basin is out of their fucking mind.

E. WA doesn’t begin and end at Lake Chelan.

As someone who grew up in E Wa. I’ve got to check you on both the Selkirks that are actually in Idaho and Canada and the Walla Walla swill. As far as Eastern Or and Eastern Wa, the swill is a wash. However the Willamette Valley is right up there with Sonoma in quality of wines nowadays. And Central Or has its own Roosevelt in Billy Chinook.
    Huh?

Can confirm, a bear does shit in the woods. Garmin Rhino for scale. Current location: Washington's Selkirks

• Options
    Founders Club

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

That is Central Oregon. Christ.

This is 99% of Eastern Oregon:

• Options
    Founders Club

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

Steens Mountain, the Elkhorns, the Wallowas, and the Snake River are absolutely Eastern Oregon. Just quit while you're behind.
  • Options

This thread is a fucking embarrassment.

@YellowSnow claiming Oregon has superior geography is embarassing

WA State only has 4 fucking mountain ranges (Cascades, Olympics, Selkirks, Blues), the most rugged range in the lower 48 (N. Cascades), 5 fucking real and tuff Volcanoes (Glacier Peak counts), a dense mossy rainforest, a fjord with tons of islands in it, the god damn Enchantments.

WA state wilderness is the big leagues, Oregon is the minors. The only thing I would say Oregon has over WA is better coastline, but WA has some great spots too.

This thread really outs those who actually do outdoorsy shit from those who ski in Aspen and pretend.
    Again, I cry:

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

Steens Mountain, the Elkhorns, the Wallowas, and the Snake River are absolutely Eastern Oregon. Just quit while you're behind.
    I'm not behind is where youre wrong. North Eastern Oregon where it touches the Snake River, Idaho and WA seems to have some cool stuff. Never been.

From Bend to Burns to Boise is 500 miles of dust.. from Burns to California is dust. Look at it on google earth there is like 10 people in that entire stretch of land.

I stand by my comment that WA is superior head to head. That doesnt mean Oregon sucks or has nothing worth seeing - dont twist
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,289
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

WA State only has 4 fucking mountain ranges (Cascades, Olympics, Selkirks, Blues), the most rugged range in the lower 48 (N. Cascades), 5 fucking real and tuff Volcanoes (Glacier Peak counts), a dense mossy rainforest, a fjord with tons of islands in it, the god damn Enchantments.

WA state wilderness is the big leagues, Oregon is the minors. The only thing I would say Oregon has over WA is better coastline, but WA has some great spots too.

This thread really outs those who actually do outdoorsy shit from those who ski in Aspen and pretend.
    @PostGameOrangeSlices there were only 3 ski resorts (2 hosted the winter olympics) within 5 mins of my high school and 9 total within 60 mins but I’m probably a poser hipster who doesn’t anything about the great outdoors.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

I'm not behind is where youre wrong. North Eastern Oregon where it touches the Snake River, Idaho and WA seems to have some cool stuff. Never been.

From Bend to Burns to Boise is 500 miles of dust.. from Burns to California is dust. Look at it on google earth there is like 10 people in that entire stretch of land.

I stand by my comment that WA is superior head to head. That doesnt mean Oregon sucks or has nothing worse seeing - dont twist
    Less people the better. Check out Steens someday and thank me later.

I don't disagree that WA is better overall. It is. I'm saying you're wrong that Eastern O is a wasteland. There are numerous big fucking mountains and Alp-like ranges in Eastern O that come as a shock to people that think it's just desert wasteland. It's an outdoorsman paradise. I've been all over it. DYOR.
  • Options
    Founders Club

@PostGameOrangeSlices there were only 3 ski resorts (2 hosted the winter olympics) within 5 mins of my high school and 9 total within 60 mins but I’m probably a poser hipster who doesn’t anything about the great outdoors.
    My aspen comment was a low tweak and not to be taken seriously.

Washington has over 110 peaks taller than 7,000 feet. Oregon has less than 40.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

Well, hunting kicks ass in Eastern Oregon, so fuck off!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

I stand by my comment that WA is superior head to head. That doesnt mean Oregon sucks or has nothing worse seeing - dont twist
    Less people the better. Check out Steens someday and thank me later.

I don't disagree that WA is better overall. It is. I'm saying you're wrong that Eastern O is a wasteland. There are numerous big fucking mountains and Alp-like ranges in Eastern O that come as a shock to people that think it's just desert wasteland. It's an outdoorsman paradise. I've been all over it. DYOR.
    Alp like ranges? Dude just stop. Nothing in the US even comes close to the Alps - if anything does it's the Pickett Range in the N Cascades.

I will check out those places you listed. Steens looks cool but it looks like it is surrounded by 200 miles of dirt
  • Options

Way to contribute

"Wasteland". FOH.

I stand by my comment that WA is superior head to head. That doesnt mean Oregon sucks or has nothing worth seeing - dont twist
    My Dood. This is absurd.

I've been in the middle of the middle of the middle of fucking nowhere in eastern Washington, eastern Montana, eastern Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming ... all of it. That there is greater land mass of such places in Oregon speaks to the fact that the boundaries were drawn much larger than those of Washington. It really doesn't matter.

The point is there are a shit ton of absolutely spectacular God's country places in both states, which comprise the PNW. If you want to throw down Crater Lake vs. Hoh Rain Forest, then do it, but it's really not important. Why not both?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Sure, but Oregon has more peaks above 9k.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019

Sure, but Oregon has more peaks above 9k.
    16 vs 12. Interesting

WA has a shit load of 8k ones that barely miss the cut and are serious mountains, like Dragontail. Fun climb