Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon Week!

Comments

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

Portland and Seattle, Washington and Oregon - those are the same things. If you think the place you’re taking shits is better or different then you’re wrong.

Same shit. Trees, rain, hobos. Just a few degrees latitude difference. Amazon, Microsoft, Intel, Nike. Same shit.

Sales tax and pumping gas are the difference, that’s it. We have to rely on our football teams to tell us what is better.

Seattle is objectively superior to Portland, and I say this as someone who hates both cities.
    Same exact shit. It’s the same city, just two hours away. I have to spend time in both, and there’s no difference. Portland has better food, Seattle is less stabby.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

My sister (NO PICS!) used to date a guy who went to the University of Oregon. I asked her what he majored in and she replied, “math”.

To which I replied, “did he do his senior project on the multiplication table?”

Are you sure she didn't say "meth"?
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

You all laugh, but this was a real live debate over at Doogman years back. It morphed into a state level debate where people were comparing / competing over which state had the better geographical topography and greater natural beauty. CastlerockRon/royotis was throwing down for Washington, arguing that Oregon just didn't have an answer for Mt. Rayonier. There were protracted arguments between morons over whether Olympic National Park was better than Crescent Lake, etc. etc.

This literally went on for months and people were taking it seriously.

So who won?!!
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

PurpleJ said:

Portland and Seattle, Washington and Oregon - those are the same things. If you think the place you’re taking shits is better or different then you’re wrong.

Same shit. Trees, rain, hobos. Just a few degrees latitude difference. Amazon, Microsoft, Intel, Nike. Same shit.

Sales tax and pumping gas are the difference, that’s it. We have to rely on our football teams to tell us what is better.

Seattle is objectively superior to Portland, and I say this as someone who hates both cities.
    Same exact shit. It’s the same city, just two hours away. I have to spend time in both, and there’s no difference. Portland has better food, Seattle is less stabby.

As someone who likes both Seattle and Portland, they are way fucking different

Seattle is an international city with a fuckton of business and construction going on. It feels like living in a big city to live here and work downtown

Portland is what you get if you combined Tacoma, Eugene, and Spokane. Fun to visit and go to clubs in. Not a big city feeling. Walking around feels like youre in Tacoma.
    tacoma is a city?
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,358
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

PurpleJ said:

Seattle is an international city with a fuckton of business and construction going on. It feels like living in a big city to live here and work downtown

Portland is what you get if you combined Tacoma, Eugene, and Spokane. Fun to visit and go to clubs in. Not a big city feeling. Walking around feels like youre in Tacoma.
    Not to mention there's a significant difference in geography (sorry creep) throughout the rest of each respective state. The sound and islands are uniquely WA, and there's an actual mountain range running through the spine of the state. OR meanwhile has a developed coast line that WA doesn't have, yet outside of a few isolated peaks, lacks an actual range. Then there's the huge differences between the two cities that you brought up.

I'm not going to dive into the dick measuring contest between the two, but it's incredibly stupid to try to make the case that the two states are one and the same. They're not. This is not an Iowa versus Nebraska case study.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

PurpleJ said:

Not to mention there's a significant difference in geography (sorry creep) throughout the rest of each respective state. The sound and islands are uniquely WA, and there's an actual mountain range running through the spine of the state. OR meanwhile has a developed coast line that WA doesn't have, yet outside of a few isolated peaks, lacks an actual range. Then there's the huge differences between the two cities that you brought up.

I'm not going to dive into the dick measuring contest between the two, but it's incredibly stupid to try to make the case that the two states are one and the same. They're not. This is not an Iowa versus Nebraska case study.
    There's an actual mountain range running through Oregon. The difference in actual height of the range is hard to discern and is a detail to the average outdoorsman. Agreed on the Sound. Coastal Oregon is just better than coastal Washington except for the ONP stretch which competes well, but Oregon wins the coast thing hands down, and not just because of development.

They are not exactly the same but they share many, many similarities. Oregon has a lot of very beautiful wilderness areas ... that was the point of my post. Two idiots once tried to make this an actual debate, when there's really nothing to debate.

About 1/2 dozen of my favorite places in the world are in Washington and about 1/2 dozen are in Oregon. The Sound is pretty to look at but island life in the Sound, and the Sound itself, isn't in my wheelhouse. We like to take a ferry ride now and then but I'm a freshwater guy up here and a salt water guy in the tropics. Never, ever the other way around.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

PurpleJ said:

I'd give Portland a whole lot more credit than that. Agree not a big city feeling but combing those three nowhere cities under-values Portland as a great mid-size city.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

CaptainPJ said:

You all laugh, but this was a real live debate over at Doogman years back. It morphed into a state level debate where people were comparing / competing over which state had the better geographical topography and greater natural beauty. CastlerockRon/royotis was throwing down for Washington, arguing that Oregon just didn't have an answer for Mt. Rayonier. There were protracted arguments between morons over whether Olympic National Park was better than Crescent Lake, etc. etc.

This literally went on for months and people were taking it seriously.

So who won?!!
    Washington, of course.

Lake Chelan was the tie breaker. The Oregonians had no answer.
    I have to go with Oregon from a geological / topography perspective. I prefer Bachelor to any of the WA ski resorts although Seattle is way closer to Whistler. Oregon's wine country is way better than Washington's. Oregon coast is better too. The Bend / Sunriver area is fantastic.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

I'd give Portland a whole lot more credit than that. Agree not a big city feeling but combing those three nowhere cities under-values Portland as a great mid-size city.
    Tacoma has actually turned a corner as far as places to hang out. The old Seattle culture that couldn't afford to stick around is moving south to Tacoma.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,208
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    One thing is certain, Eastern Oregon>>>>Eastern Washington and it's not even close. Love me some Eastern Oregon.