Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky fans and the lack of passion people have talked about (compared to the 1990s)

1235»

Comments

• MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492

MakaDawg said:

Only one thing can be done to truly fix the problem.

I used to agree with this. But we’ve been to three straight NY6s and it doesn’t seem to be improving much.
    Gotta win those games, not just play in them (and get beat like a drum). Last year’s NY6 appearance was maybe the most underwhelming, most undeserving NY6 game ever. It was also the third year in a row for a significant portion of the contest that we looked like we didn’t belong.

That said, I’m not disagreeing our fans suck. I sat behind a kid during the Hawaii game who was playing football on his phone while real football was being played. And his pops didn’t do a thing about it. Fucking goober.

If you want crowds like the big boys, then you have to beat them. Pete’s teams have not done it yet. To me, that’s the simplest solution to the problem. Build a natty winning program, they will come.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter

Alexis said:

whuggy said:

It’s a mix of blue hairs who attend the games for an outing to see old friends and millennials who really don’t give a fuck. The passion is gone and it will stay that way until the blue hairs that remember the 80’s and 90’s are gone and a new era of Husky Football begins. Right now, there is too much of a mix.

The 90’s aren’t coming back. I accepted that a long time ago.

It's not the mix that's the problem. Young kids who used to play football and want to go to Husky games now play soccer and want to go to the Sounders. There's no new era out there. It's the over 40's and the millenials who played football who are carrying the crowd these days.
    Not to mention the UW demographic has changed. The kids like myself who grew up 30 minutes away, grew up playing sports. Went to games as kids. Got decent grades and grow up to have businesses in the area arent the ones that are the main student body any more.
    The UW decided long ago that out of state and out of country tuition brought in more money, and the local ones who can get in are the nerds who are there to play school. Those students grow up, and move away, or if they hang around, they are too busy hanging out at Starbucks on Saturday.

My kid who went to games with me since he was 5 is now in Tempe rooting for the Bitchforks.
    The average male student who got a 3.2 in high school and grew up watching UW can’t get into UW anymore. I think this definitely hurts the fan base, although a lot of those kids (myself being similar) are still UW fans.
    That'd be me.

I still show up, stand up, and talk my shit. I'm a rare breed with my priorities horribly misaligned.
    And we love you for it!
  • ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,811

Alexis said:

whuggy said:

It’s a mix of blue hairs who attend the games for an outing to see old friends and millennials who really don’t give a fuck. The passion is gone and it will stay that way until the blue hairs that remember the 80’s and 90’s are gone and a new era of Husky Football begins. Right now, there is too much of a mix.

The 90’s aren’t coming back. I accepted that a long time ago.

It's not the mix that's the problem. Young kids who used to play football and want to go to Husky games now play soccer and want to go to the Sounders. There's no new era out there. It's the over 40's and the millenials who played football who are carrying the crowd these days.
    Not to mention the UW demographic has changed. The kids like myself who grew up 30 minutes away, grew up playing sports. Went to games as kids. Got decent grades and grow up to have businesses in the area arent the ones that are the main student body any more.
    The UW decided long ago that out of state and out of country tuition brought in more money, and the local ones who can get in are the nerds who are there to play school. Those students grow up, and move away, or if they hang around, they are too busy hanging out at Starbucks on Saturday.

My kid who went to games with me since he was 5 is now in Tempe rooting for the Bitchforks.
    The average male student who got a 3.2 in high school and grew up watching UW can’t get into UW anymore. I think this definitely hurts the fan base, although a lot of those kids (myself being similar) are still UW fans.
    That'd be me.

I still show up, stand up, and talk my shit. I'm a rare breed with my priorities horribly misaligned.
    And we love you for it!
    Love you too DDJ