Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky fans and the lack of passion people have talked about (compared to the 1990s)

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Is that Stan Emptaman? Heard he was a 2 star

I was thinking about this yesterday. We talk about millennials and people staring into their phones during third down or going to The Zone and not getting to their seats before kickoff.

But you know what would improve things? An epic win against a top 5 opponent. Us old timers still talk about the 1990 USC game, '92 Rose Bowl and 2000 Miami. Pete needs a game like that. A game that people will still be talking about in 2049. That hasn't come close to happening. But you take someone who is 12-20 years old right now and give them a 2000 Miami experience, and they will become a rabid Dawg for life.

This not just an issue at UW. I
    They should throttle the internet in the stadium. I’d laugh and laugh.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851

They should throttle the internet in the stadium. I’d laugh and laugh.

You sound like a dick. Is this new? I always saw you as a caring and compassionate dude
    whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

Well in defense of the kids, we kind of shuffled them off to the end zone. It’s a far different experience. I think putting them on the 50 would do wonders to make some Dawgs for life. I don’t buy the line from the AD that we can’t afford to do this.

I am 1000% against moving kids back. Our students typically leave after half time or in the third quarter. It would be a horrendous look on TV to have all those empty seats half the game. It worked in the old days because Weller was entertaining enough to keep them engaged for the whole game. Keep them and their empty seats in the end zone.
    I think it would be wise to reduce the size of the student section either way. First come first serve, as always.
    I think that's a good call or use PGOS suggestion to feed the kids if they stay the whole game. Pass out food coupons after the game to all students. I also like the suggestion of reducing prices top 15 rows. I'd start at 50 bucks for 50 yard line, 40 bucks for 40 yard line, etc. all the way down to the 10. No excuse not to show up then. Family of 4 getting in for 40 bucks? Cmon now that's how you build a fan base with young families that eventually become season ticket holders.
    And play jump around at the end of the 3rd quarter.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,841 Founders Club
    Let’s have white claw and phat panda sponsor the student section. Thank me later.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

Well in defense of the kids, we kind of shuffled them off to the end zone. It’s a far different experience. I think putting them on the 50 would do wonders to make some Dawgs for life. I don’t buy the line from the AD that we can’t afford to do this.

I am 1000% against moving kids back. Our students typically leave after half time or in the third quarter. It would be a horrendous look on TV to have all those empty seats half the game. It worked in the old days because Weller was entertaining enough to keep them engaged for the whole game. Keep them and their empty seats in the end zone.
    I think it would be wise to reduce the size of the student section either way. First come first serve, as always.
    I think that's a good call or use PGOS suggestion to feed the kids if they stay the whole game. Pass out food coupons after the game to all students. I also like the suggestion of reducing prices top 15 rows. I'd start at 50 bucks for 50 yard line, 40 bucks for 40 yard line, etc. all the way down to the 10. No excuse not to show up then. Family of 4 getting in for 40 bucks? Cmon now that's how you build a fan base with young families that eventually become season ticket holders.
    Good idea. I said years ago that they should just give away unsold tickets on Friday nights. I still think the long term gain from it would pay off. Probably not necessary though. Just make it an affordable option for a family. It could be cheaper than going to the movies and it would still benefit the AD when the option is unsold tickets sitting in the garbage.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,841 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

Let’s have white claw and phat panda sponsor the student section. Thank me later.

Can I thank you now?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2f4BRviiI
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

Good idea. I said years ago that they should just give away unsold tickets on Friday nights. I still think the long term gain from it would pay off. Probably not necessary though. Just make it an affordable option for a family. It could be cheaper than going to the movies and it would still benefit the AD when the option is unsold tickets sitting in the garbage.
    Giving away tickets does not work. At all. Axe BYU.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

chuck said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

What happened?
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

It’s a mix of blue hairs who attend the games for an outing to see old friends and millennials who really don’t give a fuck. The passion is gone and it will stay that way until the blue hairs that remember the 80’s and 90’s are gone and a new era of Husky Football begins. Right now, there is too much of a mix.

The 90’s aren’t coming back. I accepted that a long time ago.

It's not the mix that's the problem. Young kids who used to play football and want to go to Husky games now play soccer and want to go to the Sounders. There's no new era out there. It's the over 40's and the millenials who played football who are carrying the crowd these days.
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Beno4Life said:

The 2016 Stanford game was pretty close to Miami 2000. Doesn’t get much better than that—primetime game, national audience, big opponent, perfect weather, dominant performance.

Also, I’d quit blaming the millennials. The blue hairs either don’t stand and yell and/or they’re on the their phones just as much if not more than the kids.

Crowd was solid yesterday. Not amazing but pretty damn good. No one can complain about anything—start time, weather, opponent, Gameday experience, etc. Aside from Pete/Bush brainlock offense, horrible LB play, and a botched Adidas launch party, yesterday was as close to the ’90s as you could get.

Agree paragraph 1. Disagree paragraph 2. Agree paragraph 3.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,356
    If we take care of business against the screaming trees and Zona, the Orygun game will have 90's vibe. How do i know? Ill be there with my two blue haired dads getting the entire upper deck jacked up.

We need to win and schedule big games. We have been doing that in conference, and also need to roll a top 10 marquee program.

2000 Miami....Hole....E....Fuk..... Husky stadium was electric
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,470 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

89ute said:

chuck said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

What happened?
    At any given game, my educated guess is that about 25% of their average 56k attendance is from giveaway tickets. Zillions and zillions of promos. Supply >>>>> than demand. They have no chance in hell of filling their stadium, even when they are good, playing a ranked team. Two weeks ago is a perfect example. BYU had just beaten Tennessee and USC, they legitimately thought they were going to beat you guys and still could not come close to filling their stadium. Needless to say, they didn't come close to a sellout against USC or us. It's been that way for almost a decade.

For years, BYU has been giving away tickets to anyone who would take them.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,662 Standard Supporter
    prices of tickets sure as hell has something to do with it - what were the face value on the USC game? Season tickets are a ripoff, priced way too high.

And try recovering from the Gilby and Ty fiascoes - how many fans were lost with 12 years of crap football? I still don't trust the coaches/admin and am quick to lose faith in the UW.

Better prices, more competitive big name visitors, winning, and exciting football will bring crowds back.

Oh yeah - empty student section for the first 4 games - glad they are in the end zone.