Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky fans and the lack of passion people have talked about (compared to the 1990s)

Comments

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    edited September 2019
    Alexis said:

whuggy said:

It’s a mix of blue hairs who attend the games for an outing to see old friends and millennials who really don’t give a fuck. The passion is gone and it will stay that way until the blue hairs that remember the 80’s and 90’s are gone and a new era of Husky Football begins. Right now, there is too much of a mix.

The 90’s aren’t coming back. I accepted that a long time ago.

It's not the mix that's the problem. Young kids who used to play football and want to go to Husky games now play soccer and want to go to the Sounders. There's no new era out there. It's the over 40's and the millenials who played football who are carrying the crowd these days.
    Not to mention the UW demographic has changed. The kids like myself who grew up 30 minutes away, grew up playing sports. Went to games as kids. Got decent grades and grow up to have businesses in the area arent the ones that are the main student body any more.
    The UW decided long ago that out of state and out of country tuition brought in more money, and the local ones who can get in are the nerds who are there to play school. Those students grow up, and move away, or if they hang around, they are too busy hanging out at Starbucks on Saturday.

My kid who went to games with me since he was 5 is now in Tempe rooting for the Bitchforks.
    Great, great point.
    LebamDawg said:

prices of tickets sure as hell has something to do with it - what were the face value on the USC game? Season tickets are a ripoff, priced way too high.

And try recovering from the Gilby and Ty fiascoes - how many fans were lost with 12 years of crap football? I still don't trust the coaches/admin and am quick to lose faith in the UW.

Better prices, more competitive big name visitors, winning, and exciting football will bring crowds back.

Oh yeah - empty student section for the first 4 games - glad they are in the end zone.

Prices are up there. 110 face value on mine.
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,730
    Football is dying.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,694
    Newsflash, even in the 1990s most undergrads at UW didn't care about football. I was there.

Even in Wisconsin, the stadium is packed and just about 100% of undergrads are crazy about the Badgers. It's never been like that in Seattle. So don't worry about it.

• huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,318 Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe people who are passionate about husky football and live with Skagit, Snohomish, Kitsap, King, Pierce, Kititas, and Thurston Counties should actually put money where their mouth is and attend the games, show up on time, make noise on defense. It's literally 6-7 days out of the year you can plan on. Figure it out.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,841 Founders Club

Maybe people who are passionate about husky football and live with Skagit, Snohomish, Kitsap, King, Pierce, Kititas, and Thurston Counties should actually put money where their mouth is and attend the games, show up on time, make noise on defense. It's literally 6-7 days out of the year you can plan on. Figure it out.

The late games don’t exactly help out with that.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited September 2019
    Beno4Life said:

The 2016 Stanford game was pretty close to Miami 2000. Doesn’t get much better than that—primetime game, national audience, big opponent, perfect weather, dominant performance.

Also, I’d quit blaming the millennials. The blue hairs either don’t stand and yell and/or they’re on the their phones just as much if not more than the kids.

Crowd was solid yesterday. Not amazing but pretty damn good. No one can complain about anything—start time, weather, opponent, Gameday experience, etc. Aside from Pete/Bush brainlock offense, horrible LB play, and a botched Adidas launch party, yesterday was as close to the ’90s as you could get.

Old boomer types are some of the biggest pieces of shit with their phones...

If you go to a multi family party or get-together with age ranges from @backthepack to @RaceBannon (6-95) there is a higher than 81% chance that if someone is staring at their phone they are either some awkward high schooler or someone from my two dads generation sitting on a couch flipping through their phone or playing some mind-melting clicky addiction game.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited September 2019
    Can someone explain to me why UW cant just charge $5-$10 more per ticket for the lower seats and then give anyone who enters the stadium at least 30 mins before the game starts a free beer or pretzel voucher?

guarantee people would show up and be in their seats for the game start just for the free beer or pretzel and it would cost UW barely anything.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,356
    Free beer every tim we score. Not that hard. We lost a huge chunk of fanbase during the Owen years, so hardcore football fans picked the Hawks. For most normal folks, if you have tim to attend anything outside family functions, its one event per weekend, and right now, people are choosing the Seahawks.

I assume the Hawks fans have Boreds also, and they get 100x more traffic than Doogman, BowelDown, and this wasteland, right?
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

I was thinking about this yesterday. We talk about millennials and people staring into their phones during third down or going to The Zone and not getting to their seats before kickoff.

But you know what would improve things? An epic win against a top 5 opponent. Us old timers still talk about the 1990 USC game, '92 Rose Bowl and 2000 Miami. Pete needs a game like that. A game that people will still be talking about in 2049. That hasn't come close to happening. But you take someone who is 12-20 years old right now and give them a 2000 Miami experience, and they will become a rabid Dawg for life.

I don't think that would do it. Football is on the decline IN SEATTLE

Moved always from Seattle in 2000

Again, football is on the decline. You can pick and choose your schools. That's easy to do.
    For 2018
    NEBRASKA (7 GAMES; 89,034 AVG.)
    GEORGIA (7 GAMES; 92,746 AVG.)
    TENNESSEE (7 GAMES; 93,022 AVG.)
    TEXAS (6 GAMES; 97,712 AVG.)
    Texas A&M (7 games; 99,844 avg.)
    LSU (7 games; 100,819 avg.)
    Alabama (7 games; 101,561 avg.)
    Ohio State (7 games; 101,947 avg.)
    Penn State (7 games; 105,485 avg.)
    Michigan (7 games; 110,736 avg.)

Montana

The total gate attendance in 2018 of 114,132 made for a stadium that was 75.4 percent full on average with a six-game capacity of 151,302. That number was up seven percent from the 68.4 in 2017

But True there are some markets that are bringing down the average, UCLA, USC, Stanford

Dude, look at the schools you listed.

People need to understand Seattle pro sports were complete shit from the 1970s until the 2000s.

Okay the sonics won in 1979 and had some good teams in the 80s and 90s but the Seahawks and Mariners sucked for so long. Hell the Kingdome (and its urinals) were rocking in 1983, 1984 with the Seahawks because the town was so hungry.

But only the Huskies repeatedly challenged for any kind of championship. The early 1990s were filled with rage for winning and crushing opponents.

It's a bunch of factors but the softening demographics of Seattles and the gayness of the Mariners and the success of the Seahawks have cut into the unbridled passion for the Huskies. That and TV, the Huskies sucking for a decade...

I don't know if I buy this. There might be a small crossover but the Seahawk fanbase is totally different than the Husky fanbase. Totally different vibe at the game. Lots of angry, I'm gonna kick your ass a-holery in the pro crowd.
  • bigpiccenergybigpiccenergy Member Posts: 13
    whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

Well in defense of the kids, we kind of shuffled them off to the end zone. It’s a far different experience. I think putting them on the 50 would do wonders to make some Dawgs for life. I don’t buy the line from the AD that we can’t afford to do this.

I am 1000% against moving kids back. Our students typically leave after half time or in the third quarter. It would be a horrendous look on TV to have all those empty seats half the game. It worked in the old days because Weller was entertaining enough to keep them engaged for the whole game. Keep them and their empty seats in the end zone.
    At least move the fucking band back on the 50... it really sucks to not be able to see what's going on the whole game and we'll be so much louder on defensive downs if they put us right behind the visiting bench
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,694
    whuggy said:

People need to understand Seattle pro sports were complete shit from the 1970s until the 2000s.

Okay the sonics won in 1979 and had some good teams in the 80s and 90s but the Seahawks and Mariners sucked for so long. Hell the Kingdome (and its urinals) were rocking in 1983, 1984 with the Seahawks because the town was so hungry.

But only the Huskies repeatedly challenged for any kind of championship. The early 1990s were filled with rage for winning and crushing opponents.

It's a bunch of factors but the softening demographics of Seattles and the gayness of the Mariners and the success of the Seahawks have cut into the unbridled passion for the Huskies. That and TV, the Huskies sucking for a decade...

I don't know if I buy this. There might be a small crossover but the Seahawk fanbase is totally different than the Husky fanbase. Totally different vibe at the game. Lots of angry, I'm gonna kick your ass a-holery in the pro crowd.
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying Huskies don't have those down market fans anymore. Seahawks were only 8 years old when UW won the Orange Bowl. In my household the Rose Bowl and that game were more important than the Seahawks getting to the AFC champ game in '83.

Those Seattle fans who grew up on UW kicking ass and wanting more are gone, the kids of all the blue collar Husky fans from the 1980s are probably way more into the 12s than the Dawgs.

Seattle used to be a smaller town, a little more similar to other cities in the nation. All the coders, developers, and Amazon types are way gayer sports fans, if they are sports fans at all.

I'm sure you wouldn't understand.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,440 Founders Club
    whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

Well in defense of the kids, we kind of shuffled them off to the end zone. It’s a far different experience. I think putting them on the 50 would do wonders to make some Dawgs for life. I don’t buy the line from the AD that we can’t afford to do this.

I am 1000% against moving kids back. Our students typically leave after half time or in the third quarter. It would be a horrendous look on TV to have all those empty seats half the game. It worked in the old days because Weller was entertaining enough to keep them engaged for the whole game. Keep them and their empty seats in the end zone.
    I think it would be wise to reduce the size of the student section either way. First come first serve, as always.
    I think that's a good call or use PGOS suggestion to feed the kids if they stay the whole game. Pass out food coupons after the game to all students. I also like the suggestion of reducing prices top 15 rows. I'd start at 50 bucks for 50 yard line, 40 bucks for 40 yard line, etc. all the way down to the 10. No excuse not to show up then. Family of 4 getting in for 40 bucks? Cmon now that's how you build a fan base with young families that eventually become season ticket holders.
    UW tried that for Eastern at $10 per ticket day b4 and result was still 18k empty seats. Secondary market had tickets for Eagles/Hawaii for $13. Cal was $25.00 still empty seats all over.

Winning hasn't solved problem, and it's not a ticket cost issue unless your telling me a top 10 economy in America with Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Costco as anchor companies can't support 7 home games a year.

Students/Band sitting in endzone, E-1, Tyee Boxes., night games, traffic issues, crappy food, "gameday experience" etc etc etc have all been used as excuses as why we can't fill Husky Stadium are all that just excuses.

Bottom line is the demand for Husky Football outside the 40k who are in their seats 5 minutes b4 kick-off is just not there. The last 15K to filter in are the first 15k to leave at halftime to go back and tailgate. They can take it or leave it.

Last hope is that lost generation of Husky football (2001-2015) who grew up watching crappy losing football hence don't care about or come to the games, will be replaced by people who have seen us be very very good the last 3 years and they want to come be a part of it.

I think it's a pipe dream, but for others holding out hope I can understand it.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Jesus Christ.

All teams shitty

You = less shitty

Case cloSesd