Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky fans and the lack of passion people have talked about (compared to the 1990s)

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,302 Founders Club
I was thinking about this yesterday. We talk about millennials and people staring into their phones during third down or going to The Zone and not getting to their seats before kickoff.

But you know what would improve things? An epic win against a top 5 opponent. Us old timers still talk about the 1990 USC game, '92 Rose Bowl and 2000 Miami. Pete needs a game like that. A game that people will still be talking about in 2049. That hasn't come close to happening. But you take someone who is 12-20 years old right now and give them a 2000 Miami experience, and they will become a rabid Dawg for life.

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726

I was thinking about this yesterday. We talk about millennials and people staring into their phones during third down or going to The Zone and not getting to their seats before kickoff.

But you know what would improve things? An epic win against a top 5 opponent. Us old timers still talk about the 1990 USC game, '92 Rose Bowl and 2000 Miami. Pete needs a game like that. A game that people will still be talking about in 2049. That hasn't come close to happening. But you take someone who is 12-20 years old right now and give them a 2000 Miami experience, and they will become a rabid Dawg for life.

I don't think that would do it. Football is on the decline.

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

You talking about the 8-4-1 USC team that couldn't beat Cal or Arizona?
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    jecornel said:

I don't think that would do it. Football is on the decline IN SEATTLE

Moved always from Seattle in 2000

jecornel said:

Have you been to Seahawks games?
    Yes. I have. It ain't Kent fans anymore buddy.

jecornel said:

Again, football is on the decline. You can pick and choose your schools. That's easy to do.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,841 Founders Club

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Have you been to Seahawks games?
    Yes. I have. It ain't Kent fans anymore buddy.
    Seahawks games are full of white trash from Kent/Auburn/Lynnwood/Burien/etc.

Bunch of fat fucks getting wasted off $12 Bud Lights.
    And?

SEC SEC SEC
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    edited September 2019
    PurpleJ said:

Well in defense of the kids, we kind of shuffled them off to the end zone. It’s a far different experience. I think putting them on the 50 would do wonders to make some Dawgs for life. I don’t buy the line from the AD that we can’t afford to do this.

I am 1000% against moving kids back. Our students typically leave after half time or in the third quarter. It would be a horrendous look on TV to have all those empty seats half the game. It worked in the old days because Weller was entertaining enough to keep them engaged for the whole game. Keep them and their empty seats in the end zone.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited September 2019
    jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Again, football is on the decline. You can pick and choose your schools. That's easy to do.
    For 2018
    NEBRASKA (7 GAMES; 89,034 AVG.)
    GEORGIA (7 GAMES; 92,746 AVG.)
    TENNESSEE (7 GAMES; 93,022 AVG.)
    TEXAS (6 GAMES; 97,712 AVG.)
    Texas A&M (7 games; 99,844 avg.)
    LSU (7 games; 100,819 avg.)
    Alabama (7 games; 101,561 avg.)
    Ohio State (7 games; 101,947 avg.)
    Penn State (7 games; 105,485 avg.)
    Michigan (7 games; 110,736 avg.)

Montana

The total gate attendance in 2018 of 114,132 made for a stadium that was 75.4 percent full on average with a six-game capacity of 151,302. That number was up seven percent from the 68.4 in 2017

But True there are some markets that are bringing down the average, UCLA, USC, Stanford

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,841 Founders Club
    whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

Well in defense of the kids, we kind of shuffled them off to the end zone. It’s a far different experience. I think putting them on the 50 would do wonders to make some Dawgs for life. I don’t buy the line from the AD that we can’t afford to do this.

I am 1000% against moving kids back. Our students typically leave after half time or in the third quarter. It would be a horrendous look on TV to have all those empty seats half the game. It worked in the old days because Weller was entertaining enough to keep them engaged for the whole game. Keep them and their empty seats in the end zone.
    I think it would be wise to reduce the size of the student section either way. First come first serve, as always.
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    edited September 2019
    PurpleJ said:

whuggy said:

PurpleJ said:

I think it would be wise to reduce the size of the student section either way. First come first serve, as always.
    I think that's a good call or use PGOS suggestion to feed the kids if they stay the whole game. Pass out food coupons after the game to all students. I also like the suggestion of reducing prices top 15 rows. I'd start at 50 bucks for 50 yard line, 40 bucks for 40 yard line, etc. all the way down to the 10. No excuse not to show up then. Family of 4 getting in for 40 bucks? Cmon now that's how you build a fan base with young families that eventually become season ticket holders.