Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hamdan

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,640
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

You know its fucking bad when you want Jonathan Smith back.

Smith with eason would have probably been pretty good
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,068
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

The biggest thing was that stupid trick play. You just stopped them, have good field position, and need to waste clock. The game is essentially over and you give them hope by trying some stupid high risk bullshit to show off. Made no sense.

Right before that I was thinking another TD and then a stop and we’re seeing the young pups getting in.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

2001400ex said:

Doogles said:

I was going to start a thread with the trick play as the topic, but I'll just poast here. Let me preface it by saying that I also blame Petersen for the offensive woes. He's a big boss and if he wants change on offense, he'll demand it.

Anyway, that trick play right after getting the ball on the 50 yard-line was completely unnecessary. You have a two-touchdown lead. Know the fucking situation. Put together a nice drive and get some points. That's how you put the final nail in the coffin. There's no need for a toss-sweep, double reverse, flea-flicker bullshit. It's not needed at that point. Plus, that shit works on less talented defenses that might have a tendency to over-pursue plays.

I'm focusing on one play, but it's really a little window at the small school Boise State mentality. Just line up and push their shit in. You don't need an explosive play at that point. You're in the driver's seat. Just take control of the game and #finish.

After that shitshow of a play, the win felt like a loss.

Get 15 yards, kick a field goal, and it's a 3 possession game in the 4th quarter.

Eason is playing himself into a top 5 pick. There is no way in fuck you even joke about the competition being even with Haener. Pete preaches the importance of reps and then fucks off half of them at the most important position. Wtf are we doing on O???!
    Eason is good enough and had a ton of reps in practice last year. I liked trying to keep haener in it. Thinking he stays and starts next year. It was a strategy that didn't work. And I don't see that Eason has struggled from the less reps in practice. Do you?
    Watching those drops in the CAL game I had to think that more reps with the WRs may have helped them get used to Eason throwing to them. One less drop in that game could have easily been the difference.
    I can buy off on part of that. But our receivers should catch what's thrown their way. And Eason has been accurate and throwing the ball in people bread basket. Our receivers didn't lose reps. And don't get me started on wut we can't develop stud receivers. Ross and Pettis aside of course.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

You know its fucking bad when you want Tedford back in the booth.

Crisped.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I don’t understand we were moving the chains fine.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,638
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The red zone empty sets were especially special. Then throwing horizontal was even specialer.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Although I like being aggressive there with a step on your throat mentality, as others have said, don’t call THAT gimmicky play.

What’s almost more egregious is that teams now know when Bynum and Puka are on the field, we’re either running it or throwing screen. That’s right, we’re using two 4-star dudes as decoys in the running game.

Shoot me.

But hey, we won!
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

The biggest thing was that stupid trick play. You just stopped them, have good field position, and need to waste clock. The game is essentially over and you give them hope by trying some stupid high risk bullshit to show off. Made no sense.

Right before that I was thinking another TD and then a stop and we’re seeing the young pups getting in.
    This.

I don’t think Pete wants to get the young pups on offense in the game for meaningful reps. I realize this seems incredulous, but he’s so stubborn about his process that he subconsciously creates these FS moments to keep the game closer than it should be.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

It’s not aggressive. You want to be aggressive, hit Hunter Bryant on a post or go deep to Puka.

Given the talent available, it’s gay.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,638
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Beno4Life said:

Although I like being aggressive there with a step on your throat mentality, as others have said, don’t call THAT gimmicky play.

What’s almost more egregious is that teams now know when Bynum and Puka are on the field, we’re either running it or throwing screen. That’s right, we’re using two 4-star dudes as decoys in the running game.

Shoot me.

But hey, we won!

100% ........I can't believe the tell they give opposing defenses with the personal packages. It's unbelievable. Drives me crazy. But hey, fans are stupid coaches are smart.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Blayen said:

The fact that Pete thinks his stupid trick plays mean he is being aggressive is all of the info you need to understand that he will never stop doing them.

He doesn't understand that it is actually a sign of weakness and an admission of your own weak mindedness. Refusing to use your best players and the areas you dominate in key moments is not an exhibition of strength.

The same goes for the colossal playbook and the constant formation changes. The former keeps talent off the field and the latter confuses the offense as often as it breaks big plays.

If you look at this in total, you can't help but come to the conclusion that he doesn't trust the players to make plays and only trusts his supposed schematic and playcalling abilities. This is the opposite to how Lake approaches things. He also uses formation changes, but in support of the talent, not in
    place of it.

He is a really good coach and I am happy to have him. But he is his own ceiling. I think we will get better because our talent is increasing. But I think there will always be some head scratching play calling and personnel decisions simply because he won't change the mind set he had at boise st when he couldn't out talent people. What was a strength there is actually holding us back from being elite.

He had the more talented team at Boise in like 90% of his games. A couple of them had a a lot of NFL players.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,116
    2001400ex said:

You know its fucking bad when you want Tedford Pinkel back in the booth.

Crisped.
    Extra crispy
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

2001400ex said:

Crisped.
    Extra crispy
    @ExtraChrisB
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,116

2001400ex said:

Crisped.
    Extra crispy
    @ExtraChrisB
    Pics?