Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Backstory on the Smalls recruitment

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Props to Pete K. He started working Smalls 3+ years ago then pulled back when Smalls went big shot punk under the spell of was Joey Thomas who initially soured Smalls on UW.

PK and Pete at that point walked away. Internally, they decided if Smalls became a Husky he would have to initiate the contact. They were done.

One time this summer, PK and Smalls ended up at the same event. PK passed right by Smalls and said hello. It was cordial, professional. PK kept walking

A few weeks later a contrite Smalls called PK and Pete and apologized for publicly dropping UW. He expressed he still had serious interest in Washington if they still had interest in him. PK and Pete re-engaged Smalls and teamed up with Huard for a full court press on Savell.

It helped by this time that Joey Thomas had packed up his shit and moved away. Savell's one time mentor, it was Thomas who had perpetuated the OKG anti-African American schtick.

Away from Thomas now, Smalls started listening to his parents. They wanted him to stay home; they believed in Pete's Built for Life spiel. Smalls FSU visit turned him solidly back towards home when he got an inside look at the Taggart shit show that his one time "mentor" Joey,T. tried pushing him to. Clemson by this time had filled up, Bama had 4 elite OLB commitments. The stars began aligning in UWs favor.

Sam and Savell became close. About six weeks ago, the winds began blowing heavily in UW's favor. I began hearing UW believed they'd probably get Smalls but that it would go all the way to signing day. In my gut, I thought if Smalls was going to UW, he'd follow Sam's lead, announce early and help recruit the final spots in the class...

So there you are.

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    So Ikaika has nothing to do with his????
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited September 2019

Not going to find this on bd2w

Not trying to take away from my buddy Baseman who has some really good nuggets here ... but the tea leaves for Smalls were out there for a while

I had also heard from someone inside the program that the feeling was that Smalls was in the bag
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Sources said:

Not going to find this on bd2w

No, but you'll find it in the upcoming DM recruiting blog.
    And the next 5 PLSS poasts.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Joey Thomas and UW have a good relationship. Don't understand where this narrative is coming from.

oooh, interesting!

so, was Joey Thomas supportive or not?

Is this just an easy narrative to blame someone then?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Some of you get butthurt for very small reasons

My point was simply that the Smalls news today has been trending this way for a while ... this shouldn’t be a surprise.

As for the comment of “wanting to be noticed” that’s funny ... I don’t claim to be a recruiting expert in any way, shape, or form ... I have far bigger things going on in life right now to even consider thinking in those terms

The idea of Smalls waiting until closer to the first Signing Day always seemed like the most logical ... happy it’s done with early