Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chicom Coolie Ding Dong Yang wants to Ban Air Travel

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Scale is the issue

When alternative energy scales for mass consumption someone will be there to cash in. It's not like nobody is working on it just because we dont have massive government intervention

Carbon purveyors have been cleaning some things up since the 60s

They’ve dragged their feet for decades. But you’re right. Traditional utilities have diversified into wind and solar at an increasing rate. The government could incentivize then to escalate that progress and we’d probably be better off. Better for the environment. Better for National security.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Scale is the issue

When alternative energy scales for mass consumption someone will be there to cash in. It's not like nobody is working on it just because we dont have massive government intervention

They’ve dragged their feet for decades. But you’re right. Traditional utilities have diversified into wind and solar at an increasing rate. The government could incentivize then to escalate that progress and we’d probably be better off. Better for the environment. Better for National security.
    Even if you increase solar and wind, you still have to build the infrastructure for fossil fuel electrical generation. There's no way to store energy generated by wind and solar for the periods when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,411
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wind power sucks
  • Options

Wind power blows

FTFY
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,814
    edited September 2019

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

You do a lotta cannonball runs in your day to day???

Can't? Extension cord too short? It ain't there yet. Let me know when it will run on a Mr. Fusion reactor.
    You’re acting like a traditional gas powered car can run indefinitely. What is your point here? That batteries have to charge??? No shit.
    Like I said when it can charge as quickly as filling a car with gas and have similar range and able to do similar workI'll think about it. Until Hell no!

Again how will you produce enough electricity to plug millions of cars into high scores chargers? Ever see the electrical equipment for a multiple charging station setup?

Did you forget about the part where you can charge your vehicle at home? Or in an office building? And building new charging stations is part of the plan.

I get that the charge isn’t instant. But for like 99% of daily car rides the amount you can charge overnight at home is way more than sufficient.
    Right so you still need a vehicle that can travel or haul. Now you need two cars instead of one. Double the space. Double the insurance etc. Not practical yet and there won't be enough electricity to charge them all. I guess we could build lots of coal power plants.....
    I feel like you’re fixated on the fact that it isn’t currently built out. The point is it could be. The tech is there. We should be asking how we can make it happen.
    It will never get there. OK for short trips in town not for travel or any serious work. Again answer where you will get the massive amount of electrical power to charge many millions of electric vehicles? Why are you dodging that simple question?
    Wait, you think generating the electrical power needed will be an issue?

Wow.
    Kali is short on power right now. When you add millions of electric vehicles where will you get the additional electrical capacity to charge them? You haven't thought of this? It will be a huge draw on the system and Kali in their wisdom has done nothing but reduce generation capacity. They haven't built a new plant in decades. It's not allowed.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

Even if you increase solar and wind, you still have to build the infrastructure for fossil fuel electrical generation. There's no way to store energy generated by wind and solar for the periods when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining.
    I am aware that things are not currently set up for this. I’m saying we should set things up like this.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

I am aware that things are not currently set up for this. I’m saying we should set things up like this.
    The technology for electrical storage on a massive scale doesn't exist.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

Ah the usual "magic" greenies dream of.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2019
    Sledog said:

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

Ah the usual "magic" greenies dream of.
    I'm not a fan of wind power because of what it does to birds but I think solar is great and people generating power by having panels on the roofs of their homes is something we should encourage but none of that gets rid of the need to build and maintain fossil fuel electrical generation plants.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

So you are saying that people who live on solar off the grid don't have electricity at night? Bob the genius speaks.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

So you are saying that people who live on solar off the grid don't have electricity at night? Bob the genius speaks.
    So you're saying you're a fucking moron who is now balls deep in the strawman's ass? Are you fantasizing that the strawman is El Monte Hondo?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

Decentralized models are already effective at curbing waste and costs.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

There is no technology for electrical storage on a massive scale, your response doesn't even address that fact and is essentially meaningless gibberish.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

Where are all those decentralized electrical generation plants?
  • Options
    Sledog said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Scale is the issue

Where are all those decentralized electrical generation plants?
    On the roof of a house. With a battery to store the excess and run at night.

Combine that with a transition away from coal towards nuclear power and you’d be making some serious gains.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,411
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm a big fan of living off the grid on the DYI network

Very tempting. There is some great plots of land for sale around the Southland. ILTCIT

Would also use solar panels to heat my pool when I get one. And the house if feasible. When I get one again
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,931
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    If electric cars were cheaper and outperformed gasoline cars and trucks, then we wouldn't need massive government subsidies for EVs. But they don't - so you argue for continued government subsidies while claiming "could be". Fine, when "it can" then we won't need the subsidies. Batteries will have limited performance until something else gets invented besides lithium batteries. So, until then - subsidize some theoretical lab batteries for a fraction of what we are paying now. Upper and upper middle class citizens shouldn't be given a free ride for some minor virtue signaling.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,931
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2019
    Then feel free to put a non-subsidized solar panel on your house and spend thousands and thousands of your money for non-subsidized batteries. I'm not stopping you. I just don't want to pay for your subsidies.
  • Options
    Cancel all oil subsidies and we can talk about where the money should go.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    We aren't getting rid of fossil fuel power generation anytime soon and it's definitely not happening in any of our lifetimes.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/green-energy-revolution-near-impossible.