Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Recruiting Questions?

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,710
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@sonics1993 Do you have any insight as to why we took another O-Line commit. I was under the impression we were done there. Injury problem? Future transfer portal issues?

My stab at this...they had 2-3 spots left and the only "need" is on the DL. There is really only one DL likely to join the class though. The other spots are in reserve for the best players available that like UW. He was one of them.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

@sonics1993 Do you have any insight as to why we took another O-Line commit. I was under the impression we were done there. Injury problem? Future transfer portal issues?

Sure glad we never offered Levi Rogers.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Emoterman said:

I can’t believe people keep on bringing up Rogers as an example for anything.

People are obviously actively avoiding talking about him/it and it’s not hard to guess it might be an outside of football thing... just read the room a little bit.

• Options
    Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

People are obviously actively avoiding talking about him/it and it’s not hard to guess it might be an outside of football thing... just read the room a little bit.

Having said that, I don't have any fucking idea what your post meant. @sonics1993 explicitly said it's because they'd prefer to have 5 WR to another OG.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

Emoterman said:

I think your thinking of the wrong Rogers
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019
    Sonics, who else is going to commit?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Beno4Life said:

Meek said:

Beno4Life said:

@sonics1993:

Thank you in advance once again.

1. Are these opinions of the coaches—most notably, Bush and Gregory—just your thoughts or is this the prevailing narrative in the football offices right now?

2. Why is Ozzy not playing? And % of him transferring?

3. Who is the starting QB for first game of 2020?

4. Will Jimmy Lake being a coach at UW in 2020?

5. Are the Huskies still recruitinf Xavier Carlton or is he all Utah?

6. The mystery LB and DL recruits...do we still have a chance?

can you not figure out basically all your questions based on his previous comments.
    No, I can't, which is why I asked them.

Go ahead and answer them for me since you seem to know all the answers.
    1. Nobody actually knows what’s said in the football offices. You think Pete is even telling other coaches he’s thinking of firing Bush or Gregory with 3 games left? “Hey Scott Huff, come here... I’m thinking of firing Bush after the season.” I’ll answer it, uhhhh, he’s not.

2. Who knows. I’m guessing Pete would say practice and that other guys are ahead of him.

3. Eason if he returns. Sirmon/Morris if not

4. Probably

5. Yes.

6. No. There probably is a guy or two that we don’t really know about that will look towards UW. It happens every year. So I guess, yes, there will be mystery recruits.
    6. No, but I’m hearing there is a mystery OL recruit that could commit soon. I’ll let you know more soon.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    “It sounds like UW decided they needed a 5th offensive lineman due to some possible attrition at the position

Who’s selling couch
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

“It sounds like UW decided they needed a 5th offensive lineman due to some possible attrition at the position

Who’s selling couch

Norgard would be the most likely candidate. Being constantly injured has caused him to get passes up by other guys on the depth chart.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    If it is Norgy then it’s even more likely Murao will play center next year...if so it balances it out some as it will only be 4 in the redshirting class.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

If it is Norgy then it’s even more likely Murao will play center next year...if so it balances it out some as it will only be 4 in the redshirting class.

You think they move Mele outside?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Gif representation of this pogrom if we're starting a TRUE FUCKING FRESHMAN OL in YEAR FUCKING SEVEN.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

You think they move Mele outside?
    I think he’s the default for LT next year if everything works out as planned.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Emoterman said:

Gif representation of this pogrom if we're starting a TRUE FUCKING FRESHMAN OL in YEAR FUCKING SEVEN.
    Depends entirely on the player. Sewell started as a freshman and is the best OL in the conference. Pretty sure Bama started that tackle out of Folsom we were recruiting as a freshmen. As the saying goes if you're good enough you're old enough.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

Emoterman said:

Depends entirely on the player. Sewell started as a freshman and is the best OL in the conference. Pretty sure Bama started that tackle out of Folsom we were recruiting as a freshmen. As the saying goes if you're good enough you're old enough.
    When you don’t have returning starters, everyone gets a fair chance. I suspect that will be the case at WR next year. At least one of this freshman will factor heavily.

At LB, I believe the coaches actually thought Wellington was going to be really good. Manu played a lot because Sirmon and Tafisi weren’t ready. Ulofosio is better than all of them and I think the walk on aspect hurt him.

There was a reason that Calvert was part of the plans this year. The coaches did know Manu wasn’t very good. He got the call because it was close between him and the others.
  • Options
    whuggy said:

Emoterman said:

Absolutely, if he's good enough to start on a well stocked OL, I'll see a super spooky ghost. But ideally you're never starting 18 year old OLs due to the nature of the position. TSiO has it 100% correct, if you're Orlando Pace, you're ready as a TFr. Hell, if Murao is Olin Kreutz, start him. But banking on getting another Olin Kreutz is a bad strategy in general.

Sewell had a (near?) season ending injury... was it because he wasn't strong enough? Dunno, but that conclusion can't be excluded.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019
    Emoterman said:

whuggy said:

Emoterman said:

Absolutely, if he's good enough to start on a well stocked OL, I'll see a super spooky ghost. But ideally you're never starting 18 year old OLs due to the nature of the position. TSiO has it 100% correct, if you're Orlando Pace, you're ready as a TFr. Hell, if Murao is Olin Kreutz, start him. But banking on getting another Olin Kreutz is a bad strategy in general.

Sewell had a (near?) season ending injury... was it because he wasn't strong enough? Dunno, but that conclusion can't be excluded.
    No. Freak injury. A broken leg (edit: high ankle sprain) has nothing to do with S&C. He got rolled up on. What would Oregon redshirt him for? He’s going to the NFL after next year. They are getting 2.5 years of him starting instead of 2 by not redshirting him. Oregon has a good OL too. He’s just really good.

I agree that most OL should redshirt. Not Penis tho. He is basically Orlando Pace. He’s already an All American.
  • Options

Emoterman said:

whuggy said:

Emoterman said:

No. Freak injury. A broken leg (edit: high ankle sprain) has nothing to do with S&C. He got rolled up on. What would Oregon redshirt him for? He’s going to the NFL after next year. They are getting 2.5 years of him starting instead of 2 by not redshirting him. Oregon has a good OL too. He’s just really good.

I agree that most OL should redshirt. Not Penis tho. He is basically Orlando Pace. He’s already an All American.
    Do I want Murao to be good enough to be a starter for Alabama as a TFr? Of course, but it's just terrible process if that possibility factors into your strategy at all. Assume that exacly 0% of TFr OL can start, and be pleasantly surprised when proven wrong.

As it stands for Murao starting, it isn't because he'd be beating out a veteran/experienced C, but rather because we didn't plan properly and he might be the best option. We should be trying to sign 4 OL every year, occasionally settling for 3 and a little more often reaching for 5. There's so much attrition at the position you rarely regret stacking OL.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

whuggy said:

Emoterman said:

Do I want Murao to be good enough to be a starter for Alabama as a TFr? Of course, but it's just terrible process if that possibility factors into your strategy at all. Assume that exacly 0% of TFr OL can start, and be pleasantly surprised when proven wrong.

As it stands for Murao starting, it isn't because he'd be beating out a veteran/experienced C, but rather because we didn't plan properly and he might be the best option. We should be trying to sign 4 OL every year, occasionally settling for 3 and a little more often reaching for 5. There's so much attrition at the position you rarely regret stacking OL.
    I don't think they ever plan on starting any freshman at any position. But you better damn well tell these recruits that if they are the best player then they play regardless of what class they are in. Otherwise you are just putting yourself behind the eight ball recruiting wise.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    edited November 2019
    Emoterman said:

whuggy said:

Emoterman said:

Free pub!!!!!