Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

They are no longer pretending.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn't Warren shoot a bunch of people in Dayton?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,032
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Does the government need to pave the dirt road you chose to live off?
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    SFGbob said:

the Report finds that approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service. In tribal areas, nearly one-third of the population lacks access. Even in areas where broadband is available, approximately 100 million Americans still do not subscribe. The report concludes that until the Commission’s Connect America reforms are fully implemented, these gaps are unlikely to close. Because millions still lack access to or have not adopted broadband, the Report concludes broadband is not yet being deployed in a reasonable and timely fashion.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/reports/broadband-progress-reports/eighth-broadband-progress-report

Ajit Pai's numbers are of course bullshit

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-fcc-massively-overstating-how-many-americans-have-broadband-access/

The company says there is a major problem with the FCC's reliance on Form 477, which asks providers whether they are "providing or could …without an extraordinary commitment of resources provide broadband service to an area".

If the provider answers yes to either question, the FCC considers the area covered, even if the area isn't and the provider has no plans to.

Hey Company XYZ could you maybe somehow provide broadband access to BFE?

ummmm...sure...but we have no plans to?

ok we'll go ahead and count that!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If they can but they don't then it doesn't make business sense

But a commie wouldn't have a grasp of that
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

SFGbob said:

You guys live in the outer zone of food stamps too much when it comes to situations where government can actually do some good.

When I'm talking rural high speed access, I"m talking like farmers, ranchers, maybe young people who are techies and want to keep living Bumfuck, Montana and take care of grandpa instead of venturing to the godforsaken city of Seattle or San Fran.

Not everybody has a T-1 line or Google fiber running along their dirt road.

6% of the population lacks access to high speed internet. How many of that 6% even wants high speed internet? There is no fucking way we should create a massive federal bureaucracy to satisfy the desire of 3% (and that number is being charitable) of the population. Part of living in the sticks is about the things you choose to go without and I say this as someone who grew up in the sticks and who still has relatives that live in areas that lack high speed internet.
    You clearly haven't read anything I posted.

You've got your Fios. Fuck those who live elsewhere or would consider living elsewhere than the mecca of tech.

Christ, now I have to go give myself another timeout. This sucks being on the left.

It's bound to happen unless you're a complete sycophant cockgobbler like Hondo or Gaybob.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    dflea said:

SFGbob said:

You guys live in the outer zone of food stamps too much when it comes to situations where government can actually do some good.

When I'm talking rural high speed access, I"m talking like farmers, ranchers, maybe young people who are techies and want to keep living Bumfuck, Montana and take care of grandpa instead of venturing to the godforsaken city of Seattle or San Fran.

6% of the population lacks access to high speed internet. How many of that 6% even wants high speed internet? There is no fucking way we should create a massive federal bureaucracy to satisfy the desire of 3% (and that number is being charitable) of the population. Part of living in the sticks is about the things you choose to go without and I say this as someone who grew up in the sticks and who still has relatives that live in areas that lack high speed internet.

You've got your Fios. Fuck those who live elsewhere or would consider living elsewhere than the mecca of tech.

Christ, now I have to go give myself another timeout. This sucks being on the left.

It's bound to happen unless you're a complete sycophant cockgobbler like Hondo or Gaybob.
    Hurtful
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    GDS said:

SFGbob said:

the Report finds that approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service. In tribal areas, nearly one-third of the population lacks access. Even in areas where broadband is available, approximately 100 million Americans still do not subscribe. The report concludes that until the Commission’s Connect America reforms are fully implemented, these gaps are unlikely to close. Because millions still lack access to or have not adopted broadband, the Report concludes broadband is not yet being deployed in a reasonable and timely fashion.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/reports/broadband-progress-reports/eighth-broadband-progress-report

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-fcc-massively-overstating-how-many-americans-have-broadband-access/

The company says there is a major problem with the FCC's reliance on Form 477, which asks providers whether they are "providing or could …without an extraordinary commitment of resources provide broadband service to an area".

If the provider answers yes to either question, the FCC considers the area covered, even if the area isn't and the provider has no plans to.

Any place that has access to cable TV has access to high speed internet.

You lied Kunt.
  • Options

Why run power lines and water and roads out there...broadband should be treated like a public utility as it becoming just as essential.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    GDS said:

Why run power lines and water and roads out there...broadband should be treated like a public utility as it becoming just as essential.
    There are plenty of people in this country who have access to broadband and choose not to have it. Don't know too many people who have access to both electricity and running water that choose to go without.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    GDS said:

Good question

Live off the grid with solar and a well
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    GDS said:

You know the talk about people moving into pristine lands? The talk everytime a mountain lion mauls someone, "We're encroaching on their environment!" The decrease of wild lands and so on. Public construction of infrastructure is responsible.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    SFGbob said:

GDS said:

SFGbob said:

You lied Kunt.
    You should add if you can get satellite tv you can get internet. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you can get Internet(small numbers). I do believe there are millions that can't afford what's offered IMO.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,960
    dflea said:

SFGbob said:

One time at band camp.....

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Yeah, there's a 100 Million people living in those white areas. Scotty is such a lying piece of crap.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

GDS said:

SFGbob said:

You lied Kunt.
    You should add if you can get satellite tv you can get internet. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you can get Internet(small numbers). I do believe there are millions that can't afford what's offered IMO.
    Yeah I know, but I wasn't sure if that qualified as "Broadband" and I knew that would be Scotty's next dodge.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Yeah, there's a 100 Million people living in those white areas. Scotty is such a lying piece of crap.

Ya - citing stats and facts is lying. It's 162.9 million Blob...fuck off.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    GDS said:

SFGbob said:

I don't believe that number either. What's your definition of Broadband Internet?

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    GDS said:

SFGbob said:

What facts? You cited numbers about the people who "lacked" broadband and then left out the information that most of the people who "lack" it have chosen to go without it.

Fucking liar.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Remember when Scotty the fraud used to claim he was a Republican? Now he wants the Federal Government to pay for people's internet access.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Remember when Scotty the fraud used to claim he was a Republican? Now he wants the Federal Government to pay for people's internet access.

ahhhh now there's the strawman king we all love. Broadband shouldn't be free but it should absolutely be treated as a utility. I love it when you start flailing and then bring up that I have voted in Republican primary.