Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington Huskies Fall Camp 2019 Recap Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Penace said:

I really hope we stop fucking around. These reps are valuable. I'll be honest I'm worried. 2 practices in and haener has been with the ones both times.

The staff isn't fucking around. This is really the depth chart. Some will change for sure, but this is how we have wombat playing against auburn. Also, azeem was a pre season all American legitamently getting benched two years ago (albeit he let himself go). This happens every year and everyone acts surprised. The only way to kill it from happening again is to not recruit shitty players.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Penace said:

I really hope we stop fucking around. These reps are valuable. I'll be honest I'm worried. 2 practices in and haener has been with the ones both times.

I'm with you. 75% of me believes Eason will be the starter, but every day (just like in spring ball) that Haener goes out there with the number ones is another connect the dots data point that is telling a different story.

Is Pete's Kryptonite the Kellen Moore syndrome?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    ntxduck said:

Caple Day 2:

“You’ve got to take chances,” said Haener, a sophomore who is in a battle with junior Jacob Eason for the starting quarterback job. “If interceptions happen, they’re going to happen. It’s part of the game. If we want to be explosive, you’ve got to take chances. … That’s part of the game. You’ve got to understand that.”

“Obviously, we’ve got a lot of playmakers out there,” Eason said. “Just taking some of the pressure off you, giving them a spotlight ball and let them use their skills to go make a play. It’s something like that. We’ve got guys like Hunter Bryant, Aaron Fuller, Quinten Pounds, Ty Jones — all those guys that can go up and make plays, take the spotlight off you. (You) don’t have to make the perfect throw. Let them do their job and make the good catch.”

“I think a lot of times, when you give them a chance, some of the guys who maybe you would not expect to be great with the ball in the air end up being a lot better,” Hamdan said. “So the biggest thing with us right now is making sure we’re leaving balls on the field and giving guys a chance to go make plays.

“I think in general, when you look at more possession-style receivers, bigger-body guys, they might not necessarily be creating separation as much, but they’ve got the ability to get up and use their vertical ability.”

“We’re not really trying to get the perfect, over-the-shoulder balls,” Jones said. “He’s going to put it up in the air and it’s going to be you vs. the DB, and it’s going to give us the shot to make a play. He’s going to give us shots, and we’ve got to go get them.

“I love jump balls, and as long as our quarterbacks keep giving us the shots, it’s on us to get them. I feel like that’s a big part of my game.”

- Eason took the first reps with the No. 1 offense, though he continued to split first- and second-team reps with Haener; redshirt freshman Jacob Sirmon got some series, too.

- Eason had a couple of sharp throws Saturday, including a bullet to Fuller up the seam (and another perfectly thrown ball, between two defensive backs, that Fuller dropped). He also found walk-on tight end Jack Westover for about a 20-yard gain just in front of closing safety Alex Cook. A screen pass to running back Sean McGrew also went for a big gain. Eason’s only real deep shot came during 7-on-7s, when he lofted a throw for receiver Andre Baccellia up the right sideline. But Myles Bryant read it well from his safety position, raced over to beat Baccellia to the spot and the ball fell incomplete (it likely would have been a big hit, at the very least, had the action been full speed). Eason also had a couple of shorter throws broken up by defensive backs, such as a throw to Fuller that Elijah Molden knocked away and a quick pass to McGrew that Kyler Gordon busted up (Gordon also broke up Eason’s final attempt of practice, a short toss to Marquis Spiker). And Eason was sacked by Ryan Bowman on his final series of practice, one play after a blitz forced him to heave an incompletion out of bounds.

- Hamdan’s assessment of Eason so far: “I think each guy’s got kind of a couple different things they do really well, and a couple things they’ve got to take the next step on. One thing I think with Eason, obviously, (is) incredible arm talent. … He’s a very cerebral kid. For him to continue to work on quick-twitch muscles, getting the ball out on time, those types of things will be critical.”

- Hamdan on Haener: “He’s a gutsy player. He always has been. He’s another guy you’ve got to kind of just let him go play. The way he is, the way he knows the system, he seems almost like he’s 25 years old. He’s a guy who has great command, he cares a lot about his game, he can make all the throws.”

- At one point, I counted 10 true or redshirt freshmen on the field together with the No. 3 defense: Faatui Tuitele and Noa Ngalu on the interior; Zion Tupuola-Fetui and Laiatu Latu at outside linebacker; Alphonzo Tuputala and Daniel Heimuli at inside linebacker; Turner and Kam Fabiculanan at safety; McDuffie at cornerback; and Irvin at nickel. The lone non-freshman in that lineup: fifth-year senior walk-on cornerback Dustin Bush.

- Tim Horn made all three of his attempts from about 38 yards to end practice. Incumbent starter Peyton Henry went 2-of-5 during the same drill.

- Myles Bryant continued to take all of his reps at safety with the No. 1 defense, with true freshman Cam Williams at safety alongside him, Gordon and Taylor at cornerback and Molden at nickel.

- Isaiah Gilchrist has been playing nickel with the No. 2 defense, with Dominique Hampton and McDuffie as the corners and McKinney and Cook as the safeties.

Caple definitely seems more dialed in than the dawgman schmucks. Makes it seem like it's definitely Eason's to lose. Also Henry 2-5 from 38? JFC.
    You would focus on that.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,104
    Founders Club
    edited August 2019
    What's Julius Irvin up to these days?
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2019

Latu needs to get PT this year and overshadow KT for conference freshman awards

And the guy we flipped from Oregon last class needs to do that as well. He's the next Budda Baker. A free safety we flipped from Oregon who breaks their hearts with how good he is. I love it!
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2019
    godawgst said:

LPT said it feels like Gregory is trying to give Manu every chance to earn the job.

Pro tip Bob: he won’t. Move on.

They also said 3rd team OLB combo Latu and ZTF were the best looking pair of the day. 270 and 260 and both flashing.

John Clark, Manu and Bowman are 3 of 6 starters if season started today on D.

The defense rests on why this team isn't NC caliber.

Bob Gregory is having to start a guy who last year who as a junior could not even get in a two man rotation (BBK/Tevis) and spell one of them once conference play started.

Glad recruiting doesn't matter.
    Love the early camp overreactions every year. Matt James was gonna be our starter at RG too until Jaxson Kirkland took that job later in Fall camp. Clark and Manu are not starters. They are being given first team reps because of Seniority. That's it. Doubtful they perform well enough to remain on the first team by the end of camp. It might not be a bad thing Bowman will still be a starter. He's made some flashy plays here and there in his career. If he can become more consistent at doing that he could be good. We'll see.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

LPT said it feels like Gregory is trying to give Manu every chance to earn the job.

Pro tip Bob: he won’t. Move on.

They also said 3rd team OLB combo Latu and ZTF were the best looking pair of the day. 270 and 260 and both flashing.

John Clark, Manu and Bowman are 3 of 6 starters if season started today on D.

The defense rests on why this team isn't NC caliber.

Bob Gregory is having to start a guy who last year who as a junior could not even get in a two man rotation (BBK/Tevis) and spell one of them once conference play started.

Glad recruiting doesn't matter.
    Love the early camp overreactions every year. Matt James was gonna be our starter at RG too until Jaxson Kirkland took that job later in Fall camp. Clark and Manu are not starters. They are being given first team reps because of Seniority. That's it. Doubtful they perform well enough to remain on the first team by the end of camp. It might not be a bad thing Bowman will still be a starter. He's made some flashy plays here and there in his career. If he can become more consistent at doing that he could be good. We'll see.
    Based on what we’ve seen in the past I don’t know if I buy this one but I’ll play along.

How long does peterman play fuck fuck seniority games before the actual starter gets the majority of the first team reps?

Assuming we’re waiting for their replacements to be identified but IF they already know whose going to surpass them, why wait?

Clark and Manu are starters until they find better replacements. Shouldn’t almost anyone be better...

Are we saying the same?thing
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,104
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Gwad said:

Make A Wish winning the hearts and minds of his team mates.
    If Haener becomes the starter I am burning every piece of UW gear I own, taking a huge shit on my diploma, and becoming a fan of loser ass Virginia Tech.
    From Ride the Lightning to The Black Album. Not a huge jump. Definitely more radio friendly though.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Gwad said:

Make A Wish winning the hearts and minds of his team mates.
    If Haener becomes the starter I am burning every piece of UW gear I own, taking a huge shit on my diploma, and becoming a fan of loser ass Virginia Tech.
    As long as you take video of burning the gear & shitting on your diploma and post it in the Wam, I'm Team Make-A-Wish.