Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington Huskies Fall Camp 2019 Recap Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    SeoulDawgSeoulDawg Member Posts: 14
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Trice up that much is chinteresting.

If he can get to 245-250 by the time he plays he's going to be a real player.
    This would be my dream off season results in ncaa 14. R.I.P.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Tuitele is a surprise

Really curious how they deal with his pec. But if he's going to play, fuck it. He dominated with 1 arm for 2 straight years.

Highlight for me is Nacua already showing his big balls and big play ability day one.
    Getting fixed up seemed like the right thing from reading Vorel’s story. This staff is conservative with this sort of thing. Maybe testing it out.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Legitimate sources have weighed in!

Caple’s Day 1 Notes (yes I edited):

- Haener in the early period hit Ty Jones up the left sideline, with Jones leaping amid tight coverage from junior cornerback Keith Taylor to make the catch. Jimmy Lake acknowledged it as Jones jogged back to the huddle, shouting “Nice catch, Ty!” After missing almost all of spring with a hand injury, Jones looked strong in his camp debut.

- Eason took five snaps during the early period and has a short completion underneath to Austin Osborne, with Eason stepping up in the pocket as Joe Tryon brought pressure against the right tackle; a short incompletion after Eason appeared to hesitate just a bit; and an incompletion on a longer throw across the field to receiver Terrell Bynum.

- Eason’s best throw of the day came a couple of periods later. Most of the snaps were running plays, but Eason did drop a perfectly thrown ball into the arms of walk-on receiver David Pritchard, who beat junior defensive back Isaiah Gilchrist on the play.

- Dylan Morris has a touchdown pass to redshirt freshman receiver Trey Lowe from about 20 yards out. But Morris also threw the day’s only interception, a jump ball that freshman walk-on defensive back Nick Juran came down with.

- Sirmon saw more reps than he did during any single practice in the spring, and he even took some snaps with the No. 1 offensive line. His best throw was a long completion to senior receiver Quinten Pounds on the final play of practice.

- Lowe hauled in a one-handed grab on a throw from Morris up the seam during 7-on-7, with McDuffie trailing just behind in coverage.

- The first-team offensive line from left to right: Trey Adams, Luke Wattenberg, Nick Harris, Jaxson Kirkland and Jared Hilbers.

- With Cole Norgaard sidelined with an ankle injury, Henry Roberts and Matteo Mele each took snaps at center with the No. 2 line.

- The second-team from left to right: Roberts, M.J. Ale, Mele, Victor Curne and Henry Bainivalu. Roberts and Mele switched spots later in practice with the second team.

- The first team defense was Levi Onwuzurike and John Clark on the interior; Tryon and Ryan Bowman at outside linebacker; Brandon Wellington and Kyler Manu at inside linebacker; Keith Taylor and Kyler Gordon at cornerback, with Elijah Molden at nickelback; and Myles Bryant and Cam Williams at safety.

- Josiah Bronson and Benning Potoa’e were the second interior-line tandem, with Myles Rice and Ariel Ngata taking second-team reps on the outside. Freshman Trent McDuffie got some reps at cornerback with the No. 2 defense, with Dominique Hampton also at cornerback, Gilchrist at nickel and Brandon McKinney and Alex Cook the duo at safety.

- Lake spoke about Bryant after practice: “His versatility is going to help us. Two years ago, he started at corner vs. UCLA and vs. Stanford and held his own. He’s played nickel for us, he’s played our money position, he’s played safety. So now, we’re trying to get the starting best five, and how that’s going to be from week to week, we’ll see. The beautiful thing, like always, like all these guys — the Kevin Kings of the world who played every position, the Budda Bakers who played every position — Myles Bryant is right in that same mold. I have complete trust in him playing any positions in the back end, and I know he’ll play it at an all-conference level.”

- Lake puts juniors Molden and Taylor in a similar category. “Guys that are very smart, very versatile, very athletic, love football. They love learning more about the game every single day,” he said. “I think we have a few young guys that will grow in that mold, too. It goes back to who we recruit. We recruit football players. Not just guys that like to get recruited. We recruit football players. That’s what you see on the back end.”

- One of those young guys? Redshirt freshman Julius Irvin, whom Lake said played cornerback, nickel and safety on Friday. He was limited throughout spring with an arm injury, but now joins the competition for playing time. “He knows our defense. He’s been here over a year now,” Lake said of Irvin. “Now he’s healthy. He’s not the only one I’m excited to watch, but I’m excited to see how well he’s going to perform at any one of those positions and how many plays he’s going to make here in the next couple weeks.”

- True freshman outside linebacker Laiatu Latu at least looks the part. Latu, a 6-foot-4, 275-pounder took advantage of his few 11-on-11 reps, stuffing a run in the backfield and pressuring Morris as he rolled to his right before throwing incomplete.

- Pete Kwiatkowski seemed maybe a tad more optimistic than I expected when discussing the possibility of Latu playing this season. “Laiatu’s a guy — it’s only been one day, he hasn’t been in pads — but he looked really good, and he’s a big dude,” Kwiatkowski said. “He’s athletic. I’m optimistic about him, for sure. From what I saw today, it was encouraging. He’s got a good feel for how to play defensive end. He can do some things.” Of course, the challenge with any true freshman is how they pick up things when the defensive installations become more and more complex, and, Kwiatkowski noted, how they handle the transition when school starts again in late September. But if Latu and others continue to show up on film in practices, they’ll at least have a shot at playing right away. “Make plays,” Kwiatkowski said. “They’re out there swimming. Today was real easy install for them. I love how they’re playing. They’re playing fast. They’re not thinking, they’re just going, Laiatu and Bralen (Trice). For those guys, just keep playing fast. We’ll get them coached up, we’ll get them corrected. When pads come on, be physical. Make plays, and it’s hard to keep you off the field.”

- With Kizer out, converted offensive lineman Corey Luciano is getting a shot at tight end. During an early drill in which quarterbacks threw passes to receivers and tight ends for over-the-shoulder catches, Luciano gave a wide grin after hauling one in, with strength coach Tim Socha chiding playfully, “Don’t fight it, catch it!”

- There were only a few carries Friday for junior tailback Salvon Ahmed, though he looked explosive as ever, bursting through a hole for a gashing run up the middle during an 11-on-11 period.

-I saw two kicks Friday, one by Peyton Henry and the other by freshman Tim Horn. Henry made his from about 33 yards out. Horn missed from roughly the same distance.

- The first day of camp also meant the first look at Washington’s new Adidas practice uniforms. They actually look quite a bit different than the old Nike version, with three stripes on each of the shoulders and a “W” above each player’s number on the back. More than one observer thought they had a UCLA vibe to them. But, hey, at least there was no black.

Pretty sure Kawasaki has hard time hiding the boner after watching Latu
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    FirePete said:

Legitimate sources have weighed in!

Caple’s Day 1 Notes (yes I edited):

- Haener in the early period hit Ty Jones up the left sideline, with Jones leaping amid tight coverage from junior cornerback Keith Taylor to make the catch. Jimmy Lake acknowledged it as Jones jogged back to the huddle, shouting “Nice catch, Ty!” After missing almost all of spring with a hand injury, Jones looked strong in his camp debut.

- Eason took five snaps during the early period and has a short completion underneath to Austin Osborne, with Eason stepping up in the pocket as Joe Tryon brought pressure against the right tackle; a short incompletion after Eason appeared to hesitate just a bit; and an incompletion on a longer throw across the field to receiver Terrell Bynum.

- Eason’s best throw of the day came a couple of periods later. Most of the snaps were running plays, but Eason did drop a perfectly thrown ball into the arms of walk-on receiver David Pritchard, who beat junior defensive back Isaiah Gilchrist on the play.

- Dylan Morris has a touchdown pass to redshirt freshman receiver Trey Lowe from about 20 yards out. But Morris also threw the day’s only interception, a jump ball that freshman walk-on defensive back Nick Juran came down with.

- Sirmon saw more reps than he did during any single practice in the spring, and he even took some snaps with the No. 1 offensive line. His best throw was a long completion to senior receiver Quinten Pounds on the final play of practice.

- Lowe hauled in a one-handed grab on a throw from Morris up the seam during 7-on-7, with McDuffie trailing just behind in coverage.

- The first-team offensive line from left to right: Trey Adams, Luke Wattenberg, Nick Harris, Jaxson Kirkland and Jared Hilbers.

- With Cole Norgaard sidelined with an ankle injury, Henry Roberts and Matteo Mele each took snaps at center with the No. 2 line.

- The second-team from left to right: Roberts, M.J. Ale, Mele, Victor Curne and Henry Bainivalu. Roberts and Mele switched spots later in practice with the second team.

- The first team defense was Levi Onwuzurike and John Clark on the interior; Tryon and Ryan Bowman at outside linebacker; Brandon Wellington and Kyler Manu at inside linebacker; Keith Taylor and Kyler Gordon at cornerback, with Elijah Molden at nickelback; and Myles Bryant and Cam Williams at safety.

- Josiah Bronson and Benning Potoa’e were the second interior-line tandem, with Myles Rice and Ariel Ngata taking second-team reps on the outside. Freshman Trent McDuffie got some reps at cornerback with the No. 2 defense, with Dominique Hampton also at cornerback, Gilchrist at nickel and Brandon McKinney and Alex Cook the duo at safety.

- Lake spoke about Bryant after practice: “His versatility is going to help us. Two years ago, he started at corner vs. UCLA and vs. Stanford and held his own. He’s played nickel for us, he’s played our money position, he’s played safety. So now, we’re trying to get the starting best five, and how that’s going to be from week to week, we’ll see. The beautiful thing, like always, like all these guys — the Kevin Kings of the world who played every position, the Budda Bakers who played every position — Myles Bryant is right in that same mold. I have complete trust in him playing any positions in the back end, and I know he’ll play it at an all-conference level.”

- Lake puts juniors Molden and Taylor in a similar category. “Guys that are very smart, very versatile, very athletic, love football. They love learning more about the game every single day,” he said. “I think we have a few young guys that will grow in that mold, too. It goes back to who we recruit. We recruit football players. Not just guys that like to get recruited. We recruit football players. That’s what you see on the back end.”

- One of those young guys? Redshirt freshman Julius Irvin, whom Lake said played cornerback, nickel and safety on Friday. He was limited throughout spring with an arm injury, but now joins the competition for playing time. “He knows our defense. He’s been here over a year now,” Lake said of Irvin. “Now he’s healthy. He’s not the only one I’m excited to watch, but I’m excited to see how well he’s going to perform at any one of those positions and how many plays he’s going to make here in the next couple weeks.”

- True freshman outside linebacker Laiatu Latu at least looks the part. Latu, a 6-foot-4, 275-pounder took advantage of his few 11-on-11 reps, stuffing a run in the backfield and pressuring Morris as he rolled to his right before throwing incomplete.

- Pete Kwiatkowski seemed maybe a tad more optimistic than I expected when discussing the possibility of Latu playing this season. “Laiatu’s a guy — it’s only been one day, he hasn’t been in pads — but he looked really good, and he’s a big dude,” Kwiatkowski said. “He’s athletic. I’m optimistic about him, for sure. From what I saw today, it was encouraging. He’s got a good feel for how to play defensive end. He can do some things.” Of course, the challenge with any true freshman is how they pick up things when the defensive installations become more and more complex, and, Kwiatkowski noted, how they handle the transition when school starts again in late September. But if Latu and others continue to show up on film in practices, they’ll at least have a shot at playing right away. “Make plays,” Kwiatkowski said. “They’re out there swimming. Today was real easy install for them. I love how they’re playing. They’re playing fast. They’re not thinking, they’re just going, Laiatu and Bralen (Trice). For those guys, just keep playing fast. We’ll get them coached up, we’ll get them corrected. When pads come on, be physical. Make plays, and it’s hard to keep you off the field.”

- With Kizer out, converted offensive lineman Corey Luciano is getting a shot at tight end. During an early drill in which quarterbacks threw passes to receivers and tight ends for over-the-shoulder catches, Luciano gave a wide grin after hauling one in, with strength coach Tim Socha chiding playfully, “Don’t fight it, catch it!”

- There were only a few carries Friday for junior tailback Salvon Ahmed, though he looked explosive as ever, bursting through a hole for a gashing run up the middle during an 11-on-11 period.

-I saw two kicks Friday, one by Peyton Henry and the other by freshman Tim Horn. Henry made his from about 33 yards out. Horn missed from roughly the same distance.

- The first day of camp also meant the first look at Washington’s new Adidas practice uniforms. They actually look quite a bit different than the old Nike version, with three stripes on each of the shoulders and a “W” above each player’s number on the back. More than one observer thought they had a UCLA vibe to them. But, hey, at least there was no black.

Pretty sure Kawasaki has hard time hiding the boner after watching Latu
    YKW