Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Trade wars are good and easy to win!

Comments

• Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dflea said:

Lots of tax lovers in this thread.

Not the usual crowd, either.

I lean on @UW_Doog_Bot and others for my international economis analysis, but it seems with China we are in a predicament. They need our markets, it seems pretty desperately, we need theirs, I think a little less desperately, but they hold our debt and thus can indirectly affect (or effect) our monetary policy.

There seems to be a little mutually assured destruction going on here Cold War style. Seems to be the time to lay some tuff lumber on the Chinese and make them play real capitalism with the ultimate capitalist big boy. If not now, when.

I'm not a Trump guy 75%+ of the time, but playing hardball with China seems worth a go. Of course it's going to be painful. Paying the price of gaining ground always hurts. I think it's more than IP theft; it's simply unfair trade. We have a much harder time competing in their markets than they do in ours. I know this for a fact because we? (my company) exports to China. We have teams of people just to deal with their layer upon layer of import agents. As I've said in another thread, things we take as blatant dishonesty here passes for routine business there. You either have a hammer to deal with that or you don't, and if not, you shut up and eat it. If you do, and I think we do, then you swing it. Vito Corleone style.

If tariffs were the only way to deal with the issue then I’d agree with you. Luckily for us they aren’t. Unfortunately for us Trump thinks they are. Tariffs cause a lot of unnecessary harm to the US economy and American jobs. If only we had had the potential to join a multinational trade agreement with the strongest IP protections ever negotiated in an effort to contain and counter Chinese economic power...
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I'm doing great. You guys didn't care about the trade deficit before why do you care now?

Hope your feeling lots of pain

Race goes with the ole hey I ain’t hurting so who cares if it’s hurting millions of my fellow Americans. Race is a true patriot.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,206
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    GDS said:

I'm doing great. You guys didn't care about the trade deficit before why do you care now?

Hope your feeling lots of pain

Race goes with the ole hey I ain’t hurting so who cares if it’s hurting millions of my fellow Americans. Race is a true patriot.
    Thanks
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dflea said:

dflea said:

I lean on @UW_Doog_Bot and others for my international economis analysis, but it seems with China we are in a predicament. They need our markets, it seems pretty desperately, we need theirs, I think a little less desperately, but they hold our debt and thus can indirectly affect (or effect) our monetary policy.

There seems to be a little mutually assured destruction going on here Cold War style. Seems to be the time to lay some tuff lumber on the Chinese and make them play real capitalism with the ultimate capitalist big boy. If not now, when.

I'm not a Trump guy 75%+ of the time, but playing hardball with China seems worth a go. Of course it's going to be painful. Paying the price of gaining ground always hurts. I think it's more than IP theft; it's simply unfair trade. We have a much harder time competing in their markets than they do in ours. I know this for a fact because we? (my company) exports to China. We have teams of people just to deal with their layer upon layer of import agents. As I've said in another thread, things we take as blatant dishonesty here passes for routine business there. You either have a hammer to deal with that or you don't, and if not, you shut up and eat it. If you do, and I think we do, then you swing it. Vito Corleone style.

Well, I also have an Econ degree from UW, and I'm pretty certain that tariffs and trade restrictions are generally frowned upon because they lead to higher consumer prices, a net loss of jobs, and can escalate into really ugly shit that gets very costly - for consumers, not governments.

I know what cocks the Chinese are. They're straight up belligerent thieves, but do we really want to torpedo farmers and turn them into welfare cases to fight intellectual property theft? Stick it to aircraft manufacturers and other users of metals so that software companies can be protected?

Sounds like a whole lot of government interventionist bullshit and higher taxes disguised under the term "tariffs" to me. I'm selfish and I give a fuck about my prices more than this battle. Can we win this? Of course. But there's lots of battles you can win if you're behind raising taxes. Trade-warring with China just isn't my preferred battle.

Not a fan.
    You can’t gain ground against a sneaky opponent without sacrifice. Your Econ books would never teach you that. You’d need to read some history to figure that out.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,687
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Well, I also have an Econ degree from UW, and I'm pretty certain that tariffs and trade restrictions are generally frowned upon because they lead to higher consumer prices, a net loss of jobs, and can escalate into really ugly shit that gets very costly - for consumers, not governments.

I know what cocks the Chinese are. They're straight up belligerent thieves, but do we really want to torpedo farmers and turn them into welfare cases to fight intellectual property theft? Stick it to aircraft manufacturers and other users of metals so that software companies can be protected?

Sounds like a whole lot of government interventionist bullshit and higher taxes disguised under the term "tariffs" to me. I'm selfish and I give a fuck about my prices more than this battle. Can we win this? Of course. But there's lots of battles you can win if you're behind raising taxes. Trade-warring with China just isn't my preferred battle.

Not a fan.
    Then why are other countries charging tariffs on American goods when we're not charging them?

Did their countries explode.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    GDS said:

Gasbag thinks posting facts is rooting for the away team. JFC

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    You can’t gain ground against a sneaky opponent without sacrifice. Your Econ books would never teach you that. You’d need to read some history to figure that out.
    Jfc
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

GDS said:

Gasbag thinks posting facts is rooting for the away team. JFC

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Jfc
    When that’s the best you can muster, you’ve clearly capsized.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    GDS said:

dflea said:

If tariffs were the only way to deal with the issue then I’d agree with you. Luckily for us they aren’t. Unfortunately for us Trump thinks they are. Tariffs cause a lot of unnecessary harm to the US economy and American jobs. If only we had had the potential to join a multinational trade agreement with the strongest IP protections ever negotiated in an effort to contain and counter Chinese economic power...
    You’re being disingenuous. The new agreement had no teeth-in regards to Chinas theft of IP, manipulation of currency or forcing them to let US entities play in their financial markets for real. For instance, their market has a huge thirst for American trucks and “muscle” cars. But hardly any are being exported.

The US has to make this stand eventually. It’s better to do it now when the economy is still growing.

And I have to LOL at poasters calling a tariff a tax but not saying shit about what the State and Local Governments up and down the West Coast are doing to them in regards to taxes this year. They are absolutely ca$hing in on all of us, Thanks to the TDS’ers.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Shut up, ass face, unless you're going to dig into your history book and point out the trade war that didn't lead to higher consumer prices and lower employment. Was there a specific case you wanted to bring up or are you just being your typical smarmy cunt self?
  • Options
    dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Shut up, ass face, unless you're going to dig into your history book and point out the trade war that didn't lead to higher consumer prices and lower employment. Was there a specific case you wanted to bring up or are you just being your typical smarmy cunt self?
    Again why aren't counties charging us tariffs when we're not charging them tariffs collapsing?
  • Options
    Sledog said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Again why aren't counties charging us tariffs when we're not charging them tariffs collapsing?
    I never said anyone was collapsing.

Fuck off.
  • Options
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.

Fuck off.
    You said we would. I shortened your blather to collapsing.

They seem to be happy collecting the tariffs.

• Options
    Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.

Fuck off.

Sounds like something a dirty cop would do.
  • Options
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.

Fuck off.

Sounds like something a dirty cop would do.
    I see you can't answer the question. But I already knew that.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Tell us what the alternative is. Relying on the feckless G20? Maybe we should continue to allow the IMF to give China access to "development loans" so they can then sell arms to Iran with that money?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    GDS said:

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/452767-us-imports-to-china-plunge-amid-trade-war

US trade deficit with China increases

U.S. exports to China dropped sharply last month as the Trump administration and Beijing appear no closer to reaching a deal to end a months-long trade war that has affected billions of dollars' worth of goods.

The Associated Press reported Friday that Chinese imports from the U.S. were down 31.4 percent from the same time last year, while the country's surplus from trade with the U.S. grew by 3 percent. U.S. imports from China dropped by a far lower rate — down just 7.8 percent over last year.

Yeap, more and more indicators are pointing to recession in China. Fuck the CCP. I hope they get overthrown once they lose the mandate from heaven.
  • Options

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Tell us what the alternative is. Relying on the feckless G20? Maybe we should continue to allow the IMF to give China access to "development loans" so they can then sell arms to Iran with that money?
    Beyond my pay grade. It's beyond Trump's too, in case you haven't been paying attention. He thinks China is paying the tariffs.
  • Options

dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Not a fan.
    Beyond my pay grade. It's beyond Trump's too, in case you haven't been paying attention. He thinks China is paying the tariffs.
    As I've laid out elsewhere, I think Trump is wrong about China plenty but right in his instincts that China is a problem. I hope for the best of the situation.

China going into recession bc of a trade war and Pooh being put on the hot seat are good things for the world even if they cause economic headwinds.

Realpolitik.
    Fair.