Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your top 10 favorite movies?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SECDAWG said:

“Born on a flat boat on the Mississippi”

All great characters. Love Bull. Reminds me of one of my great uncles that use to make Moonshine together back in the day. Rye and corn. He loved Rye.

Rye is goddamned delicious. Sub it in for bourbon 81% of the time. Way more delicious than scotch.

Fight me on it.

I wouldn’t fight you about it, but no hard alcohol actually tastes good. Some are certainly better than others, but if you had a pure taste test, no alcohol would beat Gatorade, any soda, etc.
    Gatorade? Soda?

You have the palette of a tween.
    When I drink, I drink to get drunk. None of the social drinking bullshit. Either I’m drinking I’m not. Nobody actually loves the taste of bourbon, gin, tequila, etc. So using words like delicious is FS.
    Stop buying bottom shelf crap. I remember when I was 10 and I thought beer was gross!

As Adam Carolla taught us long ago on Loveline, boys are grossed out but men enjoy real flavors. Mustard, cigars, pussy.

Stick to ketchup and soda if you want, but don’t act like you’re winning the flavor wars with your Mt Dew > fine scotch take.
    Nummy phase, confirmed.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

SECDAWG said:

All great characters. Love Bull. Reminds me of one of my great uncles that use to make Moonshine together back in the day. Rye and corn. He loved Rye.

Rye is goddamned delicious. Sub it in for bourbon 81% of the time. Way more delicious than scotch.

Fight me on it.

I wouldn’t fight you about it, but no hard alcohol actually tastes good. Some are certainly better than others, but if you had a pure taste test, no alcohol would beat Gatorade, any soda, etc.
    Gatorade? Soda?

When I drink, I drink to get drunk. None of the social drinking bullshit. Either I’m drinking I’m not. Nobody actually loves the taste of bourbon, gin, tequila, etc. So using words like delicious is FS.
    Stop buying bottom shelf crap. I remember when I was 10 and I thought beer was gross!

As Adam Carolla taught us long ago on Loveline, boys are grossed out but men enjoy real flavors. Mustard, cigars, pussy.

Stick to ketchup and soda if you want, but don’t act like you’re winning the flavor wars with your Mt Dew > fine scotch take.
    You don’t gotta get upset about it Freeme. Scotch tastes shitty. As I said, some are better than others, but pretending like a glass of scotch tastes good is stupid and I think anyone that pretends it’s good is lying to themselves and has to prove they are a man by liking it. What does buying bottle barrel shelf crap (which I don’t) have anything to do with this?

I like the taste of some beer and wine. I don’t really drink for taste anyways. I’ll pretty much drink anything and it will be fine and do the job.
    I just assumed by your dislike that you’d never had REAL/GOOD Scotch.

Sounds like you just prefer a handle of Monarch vodka with a Jolly Rancher thrown in for taste.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

SECDAWG said:

Fight me on it.

Gatorade? Soda?

You don’t gotta get upset about it Freeme. Scotch tastes shitty. As I said, some are better than others, but pretending like a glass of scotch tastes good is stupid and I think anyone that pretends it’s good is lying to themselves and has to prove they are a man by liking it. What does buying bottle barrel shelf crap (which I don’t) have anything to do with this?

I like the taste of some beer and wine. I don’t really drink for taste anyways. I’ll pretty much drink anything and it will be fine and do the job.

Sounds like you just prefer a handle of Monarch vodka with a Jolly Rancher thrown in for taste.
    Ran out of vodka last night and threw my renewed emphasis on a slimmer Throbber to the wind. Mixed four fingers of Trader Joe's Winter Wheat Bourbon with just a splash of some pre-mix old fashioned nectar. Pretty damned good for TJ brand. Now, the massive peach edible thing may have also enhanced the experience but I digress...

#gummies

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

SECDAWG said:

Fight me on it.

Gatorade? Soda?

I don't know if it is actually good, but I knew an alcohol rep that would get Glenfiddich blue all the time. I’ve probably drank it 10 times. I also had an even better Glenfiddich one time where the host was raving about what a rare bottle it was. I’ve also had McCallan. All of them were gross. I drank it fine, but it’s not good, which was my original point.

Haven’t done Monarch or any cheap vodka for a couple of years. Don’t like it or hate it. I will drink it if it’s there and I’m already drunk.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Comedy
    The Big Lebowski
    40 Year Old Virgin
    Tropic Thunder
    Blues Brothers
    Christmas Vacation (worn this one out, but love it first 23 tims)
    The Hangover
    Something About Mary
    Zoolander
    Old School
    The Nice Guys
    Wedding Crashers (first half only)
    O Brother Where Art Thou

War/Military
    Zulu
    Hunt for Red October
    Crimson Tide
    Saving Private Ryan
    Full Metal Jacket
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Black Hawk Down
    Apocalypse Now
    Aliens

Drama
    Silence of the Lambs
    Godfather I & II
    Arrival
    The Lives of Others
    Crazyheart
    Shawshank
    Good Will Hunting
    Room
    Hell or High Water

Sci-Fi/Dystopian
    The Fifth Element
    Children of Men
    Book of Eli
    Alien
    28 Days Later
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Upgrade
    2001: Space Odyssey
    Jurassic Park
    Inception
    Back to the Future
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Terminator
    Terminator 2

Romantic
    A Star Is Born
    Sing Street
    -- end --

Satire
    Thank You for Smoking
    Wag the Dog
    Primary Colors
    Dr. Strangelove
    Election
    Star Ship Troopers
    Blazing Saddles

Action/Adventure
    Indiana Jones & Raiders
    Indiana Jones & Last Cruscade
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    Heat
    Warrior
    Sicario
    Wind River

Western
    The Unforgiven
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Fort Apache
    The Searchers
    Revenant
    Tombstone
    Wild Bunch

Comic Book
    Dark Knight Begins
    Dark Knight
    Kingsman
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1
    Iron Man 1
    The Crow
    Logan

Tarantino

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. True Romance
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Hateful 8
    6. Reservoir Dogs
    Horror not really my bag
    The Shining
    It Follows
    Blair Witch
    Halloween (latest one)

Animated
    The Incredibles
    Wall-E
    Up
    Monsters Inc.
    Roger Rabbit

Top of head in passing
    Any comedy list that doesn’t have The Jerk or Blazing Saddles, but includes the 40 year old virgin and O Brother is illegitimate.

Crap list. Crap poster.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Comedy
    The Big Lebowski
    40 Year Old Virgin
    Tropic Thunder
    Blues Brothers
    The Hangover
    Something About Mary
    Zoolander
    Old School
    The Nice Guys
    O Brother Where Art Thou

War/Military
    Zulu
    Hunt for Red October
    Crimson Tide
    Saving Private Ryan
    Full Metal Jacket
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Black Hawk Down
    Apocalypse Now
    Aliens

Drama
    Silence of the Lambs
    Godfather I & II
    Arrival
    The Lives of Others
    Crazyheart
    Shawshank
    Good Will Hunting
    Room
    Hell or High Water

Sci-Fi/Dystopian
    The Fifth Element
    Children of Men
    Book of Eli
    Alien
    28 Days Later
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Upgrade
    Jurassic Park
    Inception
    Back to the Future
    Terminator
    Terminator 2

Romantic
    A Star Is Born
    Sing Street
    -- end --

Satire
    Thank You for Smoking
    Wag the Dog
    Primary Colors
    Dr. Strangelove
    Election
    Star Ship Troopers
    Blazing Saddles

Action/Adventure
    Indiana Jones & Raiders
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    Heat
    Warrior
    Sicario
    Wind River

Western
    The Unforgiven
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Fort Apache
    The Searchers
    Revenant
    Tombstone
    Wild Bunch

Comic Book
    Dark Knight Begins
    Dark Knight
    Kingsman
    Iron Man 1
    The Crow
    Logan

Tarantino

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. True Romance
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Hateful 8
    6. Reservoir Dogs
    Horror not really my bag
    The Shining
    It Follows
    Blair Witch
    Halloween (latest one)

Animated
    The Incredibles
    Wall-E
    Up
    Monsters Inc.
    Roger Rabbit

Top of head in passing
    Any comedy list that doesn’t have The Jerk or Blazing Saddles, but includes the 40 year old virgin and O Brother is illegitimate.

Crap list. Crap poster.
    Thanks for reading
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2020

Comedy
    The Big Lebowski
    40 Year Old Virgin
    Tropic Thunder
    Blues Brothers
    The Hangover
    Something About Mary
    Zoolander
    Old School
    The Nice Guys
    O Brother Where Art Thou

War/Military
    Zulu
    Hunt for Red October
    Crimson Tide
    Saving Private Ryan
    Full Metal Jacket
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Black Hawk Down
    Apocalypse Now
    Aliens

Drama
    Silence of the Lambs
    Godfather I & II
    Arrival
    The Lives of Others
    Crazyheart
    Shawshank
    Good Will Hunting
    Room
    Hell or High Water

Sci-Fi/Dystopian
    The Fifth Element
    Children of Men
    Book of Eli
    Alien
    28 Days Later
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Upgrade
    Jurassic Park
    Inception
    Back to the Future
    Terminator
    Terminator 2

Romantic
    A Star Is Born
    Sing Street
    -- end --

Satire
    Thank You for Smoking
    Wag the Dog
    Primary Colors
    Dr. Strangelove
    Election
    Star Ship Troopers
    Blazing Saddles

Action/Adventure
    Indiana Jones & Raiders
    Die Hard
    Lethal Weapon
    Heat
    Warrior
    Sicario
    Wind River

Western
    The Unforgiven
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Fort Apache
    The Searchers
    Revenant
    Tombstone
    Wild Bunch

Comic Book
    Dark Knight Begins
    Dark Knight
    Kingsman
    Iron Man 1
    The Crow
    Logan

Tarantino

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. True Romance
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    4. Django Unchained
    5. Hateful 8
    6. Reservoir Dogs
    Horror not really my bag
    The Shining
    It Follows
    Blair Witch
    Halloween (latest one)

Animated
    The Incredibles
    Wall-E
    Up
    Monsters Inc.
    Roger Rabbit

Top of head in passing

Crap list. Crap poster.
    Agree.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

SECDAWG said:

Fight me on it.

Gatorade? Soda?

I don't know if it is actually good, but I knew an alcohol rep that would get Glenfiddich blue all the time. I’ve probably drank it 10 times. I also had an even better Glenfiddich one time where the host was raving about what a rare bottle it was. I’ve also had McCallan. All of them were gross. I drank it fine, but it’s not good, which was my original point.

Haven’t done Monarch or any cheap vodka for a couple of years. Don’t like it or hate it. I will drink it if it’s there and I’m already drunk.
    I rest my case
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

SECDAWG said:

Fight me on it.

Gatorade? Soda?

• Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    SECDAWG said:

Did not read through everyone’s list yet but made sure I haven’t posted already as not to repeat myself.

Guarantee mine will be way off from most here 180 degrees, but that’s par for course caus my lingo seems to be not understandable by many. But here goes:

1: Lonesome Dove—I know it’s not a movie per say but could be a long one of fashioned together. It’s the GOAT.

Really in no particular order:

The Outlaw Josey Whales
    PREDATOR
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Life(EM and ML)
    El Dorado
    The Good, Bad, and Ugly
    North To Alaska
    Dances With Wolves
    Rio Bravo

Could include a few more westerns but 10’s the max here.

“This water is cold! Believe is shriveled my pod...pod” .....Captain Augustus McCray.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    Jurassic Park is the best movie ever made. Fight me
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    dflea said:

Jurassic Park is the best movie ever made. Fight me

Nobody wants to fight a retarded kid.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

Piggy backing off @PurpleJ recent cinematic thread here and his suggestion of some sort of a movie tournament...

I am thinking of running a little 32 entries tourney of Hardcore Husky's favorite films. ATBSJBS, I'd like to do some research ahead of time in terms of selections and seedings. Please to be poasting your all tim, top 10 most favorite films. I will start:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    Saving Private Ryan (I've watched this movie almost as many tims as I've watched Josie Wales, which is to say, a lot)
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    Patton (George C. Scott played that role so well that when I see pictures of the real Patton my mind wants to blurt out, "that's not Patton.")
    Last of the Mohicans (You don't want to be Duncan in any part of your real life; Magua is a fucking bad ass and Wes Studi is the shit)

Honorable Mentions

Unforgiven/Pale Rider/High Plains Drifter (pick one)
    Apocalypse Now (more of a WWII guy than a 'Nam guy)
    Darkest Hour
    Full Metal Jacket (dark shit dude; some great fucking lines in this one)

Horror/Scary Shit

The Others. You can only watch it once, but the first tim you watch it while you're still figuring it out it's fucking awesome and spooked me a little.

You will laugh but I only recently watched The Last of the Mohicans for the first time. Just a wonderful movie and definitely one of the all-time greats. That soundtrack touched the very essence of my soul. Actually that entire last sequence from the Duncan fire until the ending monologue. Jaw-dropping stuff. 10/10 movie.

I’ll be controversial and say outside of the magnificent opening scene I very much dislike Saving Private Ryan. It really slows down, and its depiction of warfare in the final act is terribly apocryphal. Battle hardened German troops just bypassing rows of houses to get to a city center? Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.
    I thought the whole point was that they wanted to get to that bridge and secure it. Remember the scene where Captain Miller is going over the map with some other guy and pointing to that bridge as critical for the Germans so that they could retreat and regroup or for their supply lines or some shit? I think that's why they were in, what was it, Romel?, in the first place.

Then again, I know nothing about being a soldier and will defer to those of you who do.

Agreed; the score for Mohicans is epic. Pretty much anything Daniel Day Lewis touches is the real deal. No accident that he's in two of my top 10. Bill the Butcher takes the fucking cake though. Holy shit that is Deniro in Taxi Driver-level acting.

I myself liked the journey they took in SPR. Wandering through France and the dialogue about what they were doing. The death scene of the medic was heavy. "My liver. Oh my God my liver." Heavy.

But the opening scene is so intense and well done it's hard to improve from there. Watched it for the first time after buying a good surround sound system and the bullets were clanging off metal all around me.
    Clearing houses is time intensive and the bridge was the key terrain, i.e., the bridge is critical to the success of the operation to one side or even both.

I agree that SPR slows down way too much at points but it’s highlighted by great scenes in between with Danson and the stand-off, going through the dog tags as 82nd & 101st guys March by and then the German recon half track getting blown up.

Mohicans is incredible. Nuff said on that.

Gladiator still holds up as does the Departed.

I watched Matrix a couple years ago and it doesn’t hold up as well IMO. Same with Superbad.

OG Predator is still a fucking classic with an incredible cast.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Gladstone said:

Piggy backing off @PurpleJ recent cinematic thread here and his suggestion of some sort of a movie tournament...

I am thinking of running a little 32 entries tourney of Hardcore Husky's favorite films. ATBSJBS, I'd like to do some research ahead of time in terms of selections and seedings. Please to be poasting your all tim, top 10 most favorite films. I will start:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    Saving Private Ryan (I've watched this movie almost as many tims as I've watched Josie Wales, which is to say, a lot)
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    Patton (George C. Scott played that role so well that when I see pictures of the real Patton my mind wants to blurt out, "that's not Patton.")
    Last of the Mohicans (You don't want to be Duncan in any part of your real life; Magua is a fucking bad ass and Wes Studi is the shit)

Honorable Mentions

Darkest Hour

Horror/Scary Shit

The Others. You can only watch it once, but the first tim you watch it while you're still figuring it out it's fucking awesome and spooked me a little.

You will laugh but I only recently watched The Last of the Mohicans for the first time. Just a wonderful movie and definitely one of the all-time greats. That soundtrack touched the very essence of my soul. Actually that entire last sequence from the Duncan fire until the ending monologue. Jaw-dropping stuff. 10/10 movie.

I’ll be controversial and say outside of the magnificent opening scene I very much dislike Saving Private Ryan. It really slows down, and its depiction of warfare in the final act is terribly apocryphal. Battle hardened German troops just bypassing rows of houses to get to a city center? Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.
    I thought the whole point was that they wanted to get to that bridge and secure it. Remember the scene where Captain Miller is going over the map with some other guy and pointing to that bridge as critical for the Germans so that they could retreat and regroup or for their supply lines or some shit? I think that's why they were in, what was it, Romel?, in the first place.

Then again, I know nothing about being a soldier and will defer to those of you who do.

Agreed; the score for Mohicans is epic. Pretty much anything Daniel Day Lewis touches is the real deal. No accident that he's in two of my top 10. Bill the Butcher takes the fucking cake though. Holy shit that is Deniro in Taxi Driver-level acting.

I myself liked the journey they took in SPR. Wandering through France and the dialogue about what they were doing. The death scene of the medic was heavy. "My liver. Oh my God my liver." Heavy.

But the opening scene is so intense and well done it's hard to improve from there. Watched it for the first time after buying a good surround sound system and the bullets were clanging off metal all around me.
    Clearing houses is time intensive and the bridge was the key terrain, i.e., the bridge is critical to the success of the operation to one side or even both.

I agree that SPR slows down way too much at points but it’s highlighted by great scenes in between with Danson and the stand-off, going through the dog tags as 82nd & 101st guys March by and then the German recon half track getting blown up.

I watched Matrix a couple years ago and it doesn’t hold up as well IMO. Same with Superbad.

Yep. Watch OG-P with my daughter in the last year, she even enjoyed it.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Honorable Mentions

Darkest Hour

Horror/Scary Shit

I played out the movie in my head enough times to figure out how long from insertion to pick up Arnold was in the jungle. It’s about 48 hours in case you’re wondering.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Gladstone said:

Godfather I
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    Dirty Harry
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Blazing Saddles
    Napoleon Dynamite
    The Graduate
    Apocalypse Now

GodfatherII
    GodfatherI
    Animal House
    River Runs Through It
    Good Will Hunting
    Gladiator
    Outlaw Josie Wales

Honorable Mentions

Darkest Hour

Horror/Scary Shit

I played out the movie in my head enough times to figure out how long from insertion to pick up Arnold was in the jungle. It’s about 48 hours in case you’re wondering.
    Thank you for you're timline service.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Caddyshack
    Airplane
    Animal House
    Fletch
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Goodfellas
    Shawshank
    Revenge of the Nerds
    Star Wars
    Conan the Barbarian
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    El_K said:

Caddyshack
    Airplane
    Animal House
    Fletch
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Goodfellas
    Shawshank
    Revenge of the Nerds
    Star Wars
    Conan the Barbarian

But no "Fight Me" after that list? Disappointed.